Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I have not bought on the Marketplace, primarily because it doesn't seem to be searchable.

I once listed an item on the Marketplace but it was ignored; I don't know if I'll bother again.

I have listed non-photo stuff on Craigslist, but being in a remote locale, it's mostly ignored.

I have sold a moderate amount of stuff on eBay, especially in the last few weeks. So far, it's all been under US$200 per item. I very quickly learned to offer worldwide shipping; at least 1/3 of my sales go outside the USA, as far as New Zealand, Chile, Kazakhstan, the Emirates, and Thailand. I only ship USPS, offering various options, preferably Priority Mail; but international buyers usually prefer USPS First Class. I offer insurance; nobody buys it. All buyers so far have chosen the cheapest shipping possible. I make it clear that, once I drop it at the post office, it's no longer my responsibility. No complaints so far. I only accept payment via PayPal, so I'm (hopefully) insulated from credit card fraud.

How anyone else conducts their commerce is their own affair. My model seems to work for me. If I get burnt, I'll change.
Thought you might like a heads up that you may want to research the whole insurance thing. That is because the buyer is not responsible for the insurance and even if they don't buy it, the seller is 100% responsible for the safe intact delivery of items. It's always been that way. And now by eBay rules the seller can't charge for insurance on the eBay US site. You can, however add a reasonable amount to the "handling fee" as part of shipping which is actually the insurance.

I know there will be the typical "jail house/welfare lawyers" out there who will debate this until the cows come home but in the end, just buy the insurance and either add a part or all of it to the shipping costs or add it into the selling price of a fixed price item...or, just consider it overhead of selling.

BTW, in case you have considered self insuring parcels just don't call it insurance because it is technically illegal to "self insure" parcels but I do it and so do a lot of sellers. To self insure items you need to jump through a lot of hoops and usually post a bond.

There are also several 3rd party insurance providers which offer a substantial savings over USPS or UPS insurance and even cover items things UPS insurance will accept payment for but does not actually cover. One I like a lot is called "ShipInsurance" I use them a lot or when I am lazy I just use the coverage I can buy direct from Endicia since it's just easier to not have a separate bill to pay.

I add a couple bucks to a fund to allow me to self guarantee safe delivery on less expensive items. Also consider than on most international shipments EMS can represent a better value as it can include up to $500 of coverage in the price. So there are a lot of variables to wade through, which is why I use Endicia to print my postage even if it costs me $15/mo...btw, I think Stamps.com is now free for eBay sellers...buy an inexpensive thermal label printer of some sort and viola you are a "franking machine"!!!

Oh, isn't it fun to ship internationally? I enjoy it for some reason. I have shipped a lot of items to Ukraine and Russia along with Japan. One place I won't ship any longer is Spain...the transactions are just to frustrating in the categories I sell. Combine it with a problematic postal system made it an easy decision to drop Spain from my eBay sales. Oddly, I have sold camera gear to a buddy on another site in Spain!! hahahaha....

10-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always offer stuff "worldwide" because I'm anti-chauvinistic as a matter of principle but I have to admit to some trepidation. It would be really helpful if someone with experience wrote an article providing guidance to those of us who are occasional sellers.
10-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will ship anywhere in the world EXCEPT to the US.

This has two reasons: first and foremost I think it is only fair to treat the US as it treats Europe, lock stock and barrel, both in trade and in travel. Tit for tat, distrust for suspicion.

Second, Americans tend to be consumers who think they can reverse transactions on a whim, just for the heck of it, resulting in my packages being refused at the door and me eating up return freight or losing the item. A bit like the kids who order at McDonald's, take one bite and start whining "I don't like it, I want something else". Hey, you had your choices, you ordered it of your own free will, now eat it or shut up! It's as simple as that.

As to travel? The day we Europeans start treating US citizens as we ourselves are treated at the US borders will be an eye-opener to many.
10-11-2010, 05:21 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote

This has two reasons: first and foremost I think it is only fair to treat the US as it treats Europe, lock stock and barrel, both in trade and in travel. Tit for tat, distrust for suspicion.

Second, Americans tend to be consumers who think they can reverse transactions on a whim, just for the heck of it, resulting in my packages being refused at the door and me eating up return freight or losing the item. A bit like the kids who order at McDonald's, take one bite and start whining "I don't like it, I want something else". Hey, you had your choices, you ordered it of your own free will, now eat it or shut up! It's as simple as that.

As to travel? The day we Europeans start treating US citizens as we ourselves are treated at the US borders will be an eye-opener to many.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel

How very "American" of you to make such sweeping generalizations about another group of people.

10-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Why don't you tell us how you really feel

How very "American" of you to make such sweeping generalizations about another group of people.
I'm perfectly willing to continue this conversation in the "politics and religion" forum, but not here. The question was "Why is it that so many (especially US-based) only ship what they sell , to a certain area of the world?" and you seem to have an issue with my answer and not with the question itself?

The answer still sticks. I have sold a few items to countries like Italy, Poland, Belgium, Australia - not much as I am just a hobby photographer - without even so much of a hint of an issue. I've sold to the US on two occasions - once the buyer received the item and still blocked/reversed the PayPal payment without so much as an explanation and I never did receive the item back (it was only $35 anyway so I took my loss) and the other time the buyer was quick to click the buy button and then continued to cyberstalk me thinking I owed him a photography course or else!

Don't get me wrong, I love being in the US - it's getting in that has become such a horrific undertaking. Every single American I know is a wonderful person but the key is in the "I know" part. I suppose the European consumer is somewhat hesitant and underpowered or lacking assertiveness - we can learn a lot from our US counterparts. As a whole, the US consumer tends to be over-assertive to the point of ridiculousness which translates into waiters and store attendants almost grovelling before you and to the ebay or marketplace issues I have pointed out.

Maybe it is just MY bad experience, very well possible but I answered the question from my point of view, hence "no selling to the US".

I hope that explanation helps you rest easier...
10-11-2010, 06:29 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

People like you are ass-hats regardless of what continent they reside on. And yes your post is a broad generalization and also erroneous. BS
10-11-2010, 06:37 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
People like you are ass-hats regardless of what continent they reside on. And yes your post is a broad generalization and also erroneous. :BS:
So you had no real argument and reverted to name-calling...your choice but I will not respond in kind.

Now, I'd readily accept my post is a broad generalization exactly like the ones before me who would shirk away from shipping outside of CONUS, I have no issue with that.

Why exactly would you say this is "erroneous"? Care to explain?

10-11-2010, 06:38 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, well.

One of the reasons, which I didn't want to bring up until this post showed up, that I try to not ship Worldwide and mark my stuff "CONUS" is....

To date, selling on this forum, Fred Miranda and e-bay, I never been scammed by a US, or Canadian buyer.

When I first started listing items for sale here, under "Ed in GA", I sold several items to europe. Some of the trades were pleasant experiences, but most were not. Invariably, if I shipped to France, Germany or Spain, I would get an e-mail that the item I had sold was not as advertised or that it didn't work properly and would have to be repaired and I needed to refund part of the purchase price accordingly.

I've shipped to Ireland, Singapore, Australia and the Phillipines without a hitch. But shipping to western Europe became a nightmare.

In my earlier post I said that I advertised CONUS but would entertain shipping elsewhere. And I will.

If you're in Europe, it's very likely that your decision will be to not pay my asking price.

And for newmikey, I'm really sorry that you feel so mis-treated.
10-11-2010, 06:40 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I ship anywhere and the buyer pays shipping and insurance. Who cares what language they speak.

Just like in tennis, it must begin with Love All.

Jason
10-11-2010, 06:48 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I'm perfectly willing to continue this conversation in the "politics and religion" forum, but not here. The question was "Why is it that so many (especially US-based) only ship what they sell , to a certain area of the world?" and you seem to have an issue with my answer and not with the question itself?

The answer still sticks. I have sold a few items to countries like Italy, Poland, Belgium, Australia - not much as I am just a hobby photographer - without even so much of a hint of an issue. I've sold to the US on two occasions - once the buyer received the item and still blocked/reversed the PayPal payment without so much as an explanation and I never did receive the item back (it was only $35 anyway so I took my loss) and the other time the buyer was quick to click the buy button and then continued to cyberstalk me thinking I owed him a photography course or else!

Don't get me wrong, I love being in the US - it's getting in that has become such a horrific undertaking. Every single American I know is a wonderful person but the key is in the "I know" part. I suppose the European consumer is somewhat hesitant and underpowered or lacking assertiveness - we can learn a lot from our US counterparts. As a whole, the US consumer tends to be over-assertive to the point of ridiculousness which translates into waiters and store attendants almost grovelling before you and to the ebay or marketplace issues I have pointed out.

Maybe it is just MY bad experience, very well possible but I answered the question from my point of view, hence "no selling to the US".

I hope that explanation helps you rest easier...
Perhaps my reply came across too hostile as my intention wasn't to start a fight, nor would this thread be the appropriate place to do so (as you correctly pointed out).

I have been fortunate to have a large number of positive transactions on this forum from buyers all across the world without any issues. Of the almost 100 transactions on the forum, I would say that about one-third were to forum members outside the US. I suppose if I had had a several problem transactions from a particular country then I too might also be hesitant to continue to do business there. I'll also grant you that perhaps (some) US consumers might feel overly-empowered, and as a result there could be a higher potential for issues. I just personally like to give individuals (which in the end is who you are dealing with) the benefit of the doubt, regardless of what country they are from.
10-11-2010, 07:04 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So you had no real argument and reverted to name-calling...your choice but I will not respond in kind.

Now, I'd readily accept my post is a broad generalization exactly like the ones before me who would shirk away from shipping outside of CONUS, I have no issue with that.

Why exactly would you say this is "erroneous"? Care to explain?
No, I went back and re-read post 18 and my post still stands. You clearly started the name calling. Your second post is condescending to many Europeans like they are helpless children for some reason. That's certainly not my experience dealing with the Irish, Brits, Austrians, Germans, Greeks, Turks and Russians because the ones I have dealt with have been quite competent.

QuoteQuote:
Different regions and/or states of the U.S. have different tendencies regarding dealing with waiters and store clerks. That may work in a restaurant in a Yankee state like New Jersey, but in a southern, midwestern or western state could get one a pitcher of tea or beer on the head. However, that behavior is the exception and not the rule.
10-11-2010, 10:15 AM   #27

I'll ship anywhere as long as my financial interests are reasonably well protected in the event something goes wrong with shipping and delivery. I'll sell to anyone, anywhere, as long as the following conditions are met:
  1. payment is made in a way that's convenient and safe for me, usually Paypal
  2. buyer pays for shipping courier providing the following services:*
    • insurance at full sale value
    • delivery confirmation
    • return receipt signature (which significantly limits international destinations via USPS#)
  3. buyer assumes sole responsibility for duty as a result of a complete and accurate customs declaration

*The high cost of private courier typically prices out international buyers not served by USPS / their home country postal service with these service options
    #List of countries supporting USPS return receipt. Note the actual list is much smaller, as individual countries have their own restrictions. Recommend reviewing the Individual Country Listings for details on each country (e.g. Pakistan does not allow return receipt for certain contents...including camera gear). I find it
I have the same requirements when buying internationally, too. If I'm selling / buying something at a low enough price that I don't mind taking the financial hit if something goes screwy, then 2-3 don't necessarily apply.

If any of you have seen my marketplace listings, you'll know I also strive to set expectations explicitly up front regarding the above + refunds, returns, etc. I've found properly setting expectations and excellent communication crucial to positive marketplace experiences, both domestically and internationally.

I wish I could say I didn't learn to do it this way the hard way!
10-11-2010, 01:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I ship anywhere and the buyer pays shipping and insurance. Who cares what language they speak.

Just like in tennis, it must begin with Love All.

Jason
The same here--and I've never had bad experiences with Europeans (I'm one of 'them', after all ) or others outside the US. Well, now, it's true I haven't sold many items.
10-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

What I dont get is why CONUS would like to get less money for there lenses than they could if they shipped overseas. People selling FA LTD for rediculus low prices. Could well get 30-50% more if you shipped to EU due to Price difference and that the Dollar is very very weak atm.
10-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
What I dont get is why CONUS would like to get less money for there lenses than they could if they shipped overseas. People selling FA LTD for rediculus low prices. Could well get 30-50% more if you shipped to EU due to Price difference and that the Dollar is very very weak atm.
That's a good point. The US dollar is very weak right now and as a result about half of my recent sales have gone to Canada and Australia. However, I seldom get interest from people in the EU. I think part of the reason is because when selling from outside the EU to people inside the EU the combination of VAT, customs and/or import taxes tend to be very high (sometimes 30%+) which very quickly eats up any potential savings.