Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where have you been ?

A fellow Canadian and I started a random off topic discussion in one of his Picture Posts which prompted me for this thread.

Many of us travel extensively , others not so much - it counts if you spent at least a day there - airport layovers for switching aircraft should not count.

My travel exeperience is like a lot of others I suspect, some work realted , some birth related (France) and some vacation related. Some of these just in a particular city for a few days, others traveled and saw as much as I could.

Canada
BC,AB, SASK, MAN,ONT,QUE,NB,NS,PEI, NWT, Yukon - need to get to Newfoundland and Nanuvat and I got Canada covered !

USA
Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire,Vermont, Ohio, Missouri, Idaho, California, Arizona, Nevada, Louisiana , Florida

Europe
Sweden, France

Soon to add (Feb' 08)
Mexico

09-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Fun Idea

Fun list.

Off the top of my head and set aside Greenland where I currently live.

Europe:
Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Spain, Portugal, Monaco, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Checz Republic, slovakia, Hungary, Estonia, Greece, Turkey, United Kingdom, Ireland

USA:
Los Angeles, Seattle, New York, Washington DC, Shenadoah, Miami, Orlando

Canada:
Vancouver

Africa:
Egypt

Asia:
Thailand, Malaysia, Hong Kong

Most of these have been visited more than once and some a frequented on a regular basis.
The European countries above has been travelled extensively and I have lived in a few of them.

Truth is that I have stopped counting and most likely left a few out by accidence.

I love to travel

Last edited by Duplo; 09-11-2007 at 05:47 PM. Reason: forgot a few...
09-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Canada
BC,AB, SASK, ONT,QUE,NB,PEI, Yukon
US
Alaska, WA, OR, Cali., FL, NY, NV
Europe
France

looking to expand greatly......now that I can afford it and I get vacation time
09-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
USA:
Haven't been to Alaska

Canada:
B.C.

Mexico:
Baja region

Norway:
Oslo

09-11-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Been in all of the "lower 48" US states except a few in the New England area. I was in the airport briefly in Anchorage, Alaska, while I was being FedExed to Korea, but that doesn't really count ... Never been to Hawaii, either. Another brief stop at Kadena Air Base, Japan. A year in South Korea (Kunsan Air Base). A week's visit to England to visit friends. Many trips to British Columbia, Canada, but nothing further east.

Jim
09-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Being a retired Over the road truck driver, I have been to all 48 states and provinces of Canada. Most all were 1-2 days. I got to see a lot of country and get to know some of the people. I do keep in touch with some of them, others have been lost except to memory.
While in the Army (US) I got the pleasure of being placed In South East Asia from 1969-1975. So, Viet Nam, Cambodia, and Laos were home to me for those years. I also got the pleasure of visiting Thailand, for about 2 weeks (which was really a blurr). My last vision of South East Asia Was that of feeling great pain in my back and legs and seeing members of my team trying to stop the flow of blood and getting me on a Medevac for the US hospital in Saigon. From there My med records state I visited Japan, for 3 mo. Germany for 1 mo. Spain for 2 days and England for 4 mo. ( I guess these places don't count since I was in a drug induced coma and finally woke up in the VA hospital in Washington DC. ) but I would really love to go back and revisit all of those places including South East Asia one of these days. (I wonder if the Golden Triangle is still there?) (Fantastic place you could get anything and everything you wanted or needed At a price of course. It's where I bought my second Pentax K1000)
09-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

lol ... unique list I've never seen on any other board before. Let me pull up Google Maps...

In the USA:
All states that touch the Atlantic Ocean, Vermont, Louisiana, Illinois, Nevada (Las Vegas ... perhaps a State all its own! <grin>), California, Seattle, Hawaii.

In Canada:
Vancouver, Toronto (I think; I forget)

Mexico:
Cancun (that's it I think)

Carribean:
Over the course of a number of cruises, many (the majority?) of the small islands, and Puerto Rico.

Europe:
England, Spain, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Austria, Hungary [the Mudda-Fadda-land!], Italy, Greece, Malta, Sardegna (I think, perhaps the cruise didn't stop there), and Monaco (ya!).

Africa:
Tanzania

For someone who hates to travel (I like it when I'm there... hate the process of getting to and from there!) this list surprises the heck out'a me!!! Gotta show it to my wifie who always complains about me not going anywhere! Though she has been to 2x or 3x more then I, probably around the world 2 or 3 times; and her parents even more.

Last edited by m8o; 09-11-2007 at 05:40 PM.
09-11-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Photo Tramp Quote
While in the Army (US) I got the pleasure of being placed In South East Asia from 1969-1975. So, Viet Nam, Cambodia, and Laos were home to me for those years. I also got the pleasure of visiting Thailand, for about 2 weeks (which was really a blurr). My last vision of South East Asia Was that of feeling great pain in my back and legs and seeing members of my team trying to stop the flow of blood and getting me on a Medevac for the US hospital in Saigon. From there My med records state I visited Japan, for 3 mo. Germany for 1 mo. Spain for 2 days and England for 4 mo. ( I guess these places don't count since I was in a drug induced coma and finally woke up in the VA hospital in Washington DC. )
Since we are commemorating the terror attacks on September 11th today here in the USA, let me thank you for your service to our country.
09-11-2007, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well, lets see. I've traveled through or visited just about every state in the USA at one time to another (Hawaii the lone exception), but have lived for at least six months in California (ten years), South Carolina (six years), Washington (four years), Massachusetts (three years), Rhode Island (two years), North Carolina (one year), Florida (one year), Texas (one year), and Mississippi (nine months).

I've also lived in Germany (fourteen years), England (five years), Turkey (two years), Italy (eighteen months), and Spain (one year), visiting most countries in or around Europe during those periods (Sweden, Norway, Finland, and several of the the former Soviet republics, being the exceptions).

By the way, if you're bored enough to actually add all that up in an effort to guess my age, add perhaps another four or five years for a lot of visits less than six months in various places.

stewart
09-11-2007, 06:00 PM   #10
Ed in GA

My travels are not very extensive.

States in which I've spent time

AR, TX, LA, GA, FL, TN, MA, NY AZ, CA, OH, NC, SC, KY

States through which I've passed going to or from somewhere.

NM, OK, MS, AL, IN, VA, PA, NJ, NY, CT, RI, NH

Countries outside the US.

Germany, Belgium, France. Austria, The Netherlands.

Unfotunately, I'm not a very well traveled person. My sparse collection of photographs supports that.
09-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #11

What a great list and a great idea. Here's my itinerary.

In the US I have been to all the states on the outside. Did a lap of the country years ago after my father died. Been to a lot of states in the interior as well. just don't want to list them all here. I think I am missing maybe 12 or so, including AK and HI.

Been to Canada, BC and Saskatoon.

Mexico for a day.

Lived in Germany and France as a kid. My father was in the Army. Just this year I went back to France with my girlfriend for a week and Germany for another week by myself on the way to India (for business).

I have been to India twice this year. My company sent me first class and it is an amazing place. Not a vacation destination by any means but if you get a chance and a free ticket take it. Stayed in Bangalore for a total of 6 weeks and took a day trip to Mysore.

Took a day trip to Monaco while in Nice. Do day trips count?
09-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Great idea for a thread.

Canada:
BC,AB, MAN,ONT,QUE,NB,NS,PEI, NFLD, Labrador

United States:
New Jersey, New Hampshire, Maine, Mass, New York, Penn, Viginia, Florida NC, SC, Mi, NV (guess where??), Ca, Wa, Tx, Kentucky, Tennesee, Miss, DC, Maryland, Vermont.

Europe:
Greece (the homeland, sorta), England, Holland, Azores (that`s another story about crossing the Atlantic and getting caught in a tropical storm that blew us in there).

As for stories Photo-Tramp tops em all but here`s a little...
I'll copy a little of that earlier post below that Dave and I were chatting about just cause I enjoyed writing the story.

Newfoundland is a unique place. The land and the people. Mostly Irish decent and funny but tough as nails and you'd have to be to live there. The nickname for the place is "The Rock" and justly deserved. Truly a difficult land to scratch out a living.
Two places there have a special place for me (I plan to try and do some shooting there again this fall). The Northern Pennisula and Cape Spear. I had to drive up to the tip of the NP once not long ago and during a one day drive, saw 39 moose 14 caribou and 3 Ice Bergs. One moose which was in the middle of the road and decided to drag race me. They can get to 50kph (30mph) for short bursts. Anyway after driving up there all day I turned around and headed back around 7PM. They say never drive in the dark in Newfoundland. I tried it only because of a tight deadline. Got about 300Kms and it was now after midnight. Another moose in the middle of the raod convinced me to stop for the night. Of course I was in the middle of nowhere and at least 2 hours from a hotel. So in the middle of Gross Mourne national park I stopped on the top of a mountain look off and slept in the back of the van. Woke up to a view that was out of this world. At the top of a fiord with the mountains below and just breathtaking.
Cape Spear is North Americas most eastern point of land. The cliffs are about 200 feet straight above the North atlantic. A lighthouse sits on the top edge of the cliff. Icebergs regularly drift by with the ocassional whale and fishing boat. It has to be experienced.

Oh yeah the other story:

-The Island is much larger than most would expect. When I do a full working tour, I drive about 5000 Kms to cover the entire route. And that doesn't come close to seeing all the out ports and so on. Saint John's is as cool as it gets. George St. is about 5 blocks long and a few years ago I asked a bartender how many bars there were. He said that there were 134 liquor licenses issued that year. These boys can drink! keeps em warm I guess. They have a sense of humour that is completely unique as well. Just look at the place names on a map sometime to see what I mean. 'Hearts Delight' is a small town near the village of Dildo. And I'm not making this up!! First you drive through Dildo, then come to Heart's Delight followed by Hearts Desire and end up in Heart's Content and if you follow the road for a few more hours you will come to 'Conception Bay'... you do the math. Seriously those are actual towns and villages along the coast.-
09-11-2007, 06:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I like this. For what it's worth, I keep something similar to this on my Geocaching.com profile page. If you don't know what geocaching is, don't worry. It's a hobby almost as silly as collecting old Pentax glass...

Canada:
Winnipeg, MB

United States:
Pretty much all of the western US, except Oregon, Idaho and Montana. Have lived in OK, CO, and TX. Before kids, my dog and I would get in my Jeep on Saturday morning in Colorado and come home around midnight on Sunday. Those were some great years. I've spent enough days in CA over the last 15 years to count as living there as well without having to pay local taxes. Have covered a part of the Southeast as well. Spent a couple weeks in the Boston area (before digital) and a wonderful week just driving around New England looking at fall colors and covered bridges. Have never set foot in the state of New York.

Europe:
A week in England last fall. Another week in Germany and Austria following that. Spent a few weeks in France at various times for work, including 10 days in Brittany this spring. May be going back to Germany next month. I can read and speak German well enough to get around. I can read French a bit, but I don't have an ear for hearing it.

APAC:
Aside from a stint at Subic Bay at age 3 when my father was stationed there, I've not been west of California.

The thing that I have come to realize in life is that a genuine smile, mixed with "good day" and "thank you" will get you far in life if you don't speak the language. Happy travels, all!
09-12-2007, 03:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

USA:

MA, CT, RI, NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, WV, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TN, KY, MO, OH, IN, NV, AZ and maybe a couple others that have slipped my mind. For those of you not in the US, sorry for the abbreviations, but I'm a lazy typist.

Canada:

Toronto and the Niagara Falls area

Europe:

Germany and Poland.
09-12-2007, 03:43 AM   #15

Lived in a few (UK, Australia, Netherlands) and visited the rest on more than one occassion.

Australia:

All states and territories

Asia-Pacific:

New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan, Korea and India

Europe:

UK, Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Sweden, Norway, Finland

USA:

New York, Massachusetts, Washington, California, Texas, Arizona

There is nowhere I did not like - just enjoyed the differences. Vive la difference!