Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 10:23 AM   #1

Anyone know of free photo storage place with lots of space?

I'm looking for a place to store my photos online. Very much like Flickr, where I can link my family my gallery and they can look through. Thing is, I'm not interested in paying for that.

Flickr would work fine with the monthly space allowance, but your older photos disappear from the gallery after 200 photos, so that doesn't work.

Picasa I read has 6GB yearly limit which is too little.

And the only free FTPs I've found are 1GB is size total.

So does anyone know of some site that can fulfill my reqs?

Thanks!

10-12-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For $20 a year, I now have 81GB on picasa. I doubt I'll ever use it up.
10-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
For $20 a year, I now have 81GB on picasa. I doubt I'll ever use it up.
Didn't even read the first sentence, huh?
10-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RUSBoris Quote
Didn't even read the first sentence, huh?
Nice way to win friends and get responses.

10-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
Shutterfly maybe.

For free unlimited you'll need to use one of the print/share sites which are geared primarily to sell you products. Some of them probably provide a decent sharing and user interface.

6GB is a lot for web quality photos for sharing with family (at least I think so).

If you are serious about uploading a huge amount of photos maybe paying isn't a terrible idea. I'd share why but I see you aren't interested in knowing.
10-12-2010, 12:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lowspark86 Quote
Shutterfly maybe.

For free unlimited you'll need to use one of the print/share sites which are geared primarily to sell you products. Some of them probably provide a decent sharing and user interface.

6GB is a lot for web quality photos for sharing with family (at least I think so).

If you are serious about uploading a huge amount of photos maybe paying isn't a terrible idea. I'd share why but I see you aren't interested in knowing.
YES!! Shutterfly is perfect. According to wiki

QuoteQuote:
Shutterfly attempts to differentiate itself from other online photo services such as Flickr and Picasa by allowing unlimited images at no cost. Shutterfly also claims that "they never delete a photo."[1] The service also keeps uploaded photos at their full resolution, rather than scaling down images or otherwise affecting the originals.
tytyty
10-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice way to win friends and get responses.
Looking to get something for nothing. Given the response, Somehow I doubt there is much interest in winning friends. :ugh:

10-12-2010, 01:04 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Looking to get something for nothing. Given the response, Somehow I doubt there is much interest in winning friends. :ugh:

I apologize. I did not realize I was participating in e-Harmony here.

Where do I set up my profile of likes, dislikes, turn ons, and turn offs?

I don't know about you, but I visit forums for information. Not social outings. I asked a specific question and didn't put a gun on anyones head to do research for me. Merely asking if they stumbled on a similar site in the past.

But to each their own
10-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Boris,

Regardless of the flippant responses, they are generally correct. The terms "free" and "unlimited" usually don't go together. And anyplace that gives you that is probably going to exact a cost in other ways such as intrusive ads or spam. You can get unlimited storage at photo.net for $20 a year... for all intents and purposes, that's about as close as you are going to get to "free" and "unlimited."

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 10-13-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: typo
10-12-2010, 01:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I clicked on your name and it says we are a perfect match. Should I come to Russia?
10-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Boris,

Regardless of the flippant responces, they are generally correct. The terms "free" and "unlimited" usually don't go together. And anyplace that gives you that is probably going to exact a cost in other ways such as intrusive ads or spam. You can get unlimited storage at photo.net for $20 a year... for all intents and purposes, that's about as close as you are going to get to "free" and "unlimited."

Mike
Shutterfly fits the bill perfect there's also photobucket and imageshack, of course. But as far as I'm aware, they don't offer galleries. Just good for linking individual pics.
10-12-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Shutterfly fits the bill perfect there's also photobucket and imageshack, of course. But as far as I'm aware, they don't offer galleries. Just good for linking individual pics.
Just a headsup, Photobucket will reduce image quality.
10-12-2010, 02:13 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The ciricism that Votech disregarded what was written in the very first line of the inquiry is valid. The problem is *not* you pointing it out, but *how* you went about doing it. This here is a community, and if you want to be a part of that community, then you should act like you want to.

If you're just the type that registers to ask just one question and take off after getting an answer (or not), then do as you like :-)

Anyway, Facebook (if they haven't already) is going to increase their maximum image size by quite a lot (I forget, but something over 2000px on a side if I remember correctly), and as far as I know, there is no limit to how much you can upload. Unlike Flickr, whoever wants to see the galley will have to sign up for an account, however.
10-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Imageshack allows 5000 images. The number of views in a specified amount of time is limited and I don't remember the parameters.
10-12-2010, 02:32 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Where do I set up my profile of likes, dislikes, turn ons, and turn offs?

I don't know about you, but I visit forums for information. Not social outings. I asked a specific question and didn't put a gun on anyones head to do research for me. Merely asking if they stumbled on a similar site in the past.

But to each their own
Check your inbox for my suggestion as to where you can put your likes and dislikes.