Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A little trekking INSANITY

El Caminito del Rey, Spain...

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmDhRvvs5Xw[/YT]

QuoteQuote:
This walkway now serves as an aproach to Makinodromo, the famous climbing sector of El Chorro in Spain's Andalucia. And it is the hairiest path. The area of El Chorro situated in the south of Spain is renowned amongst travelers and mountain hikers for its stunning scenery and climbs, yet this is not the main attraction on offer, El Chorro is host to one of the most dangerous walkways in the world, built by workers to transport materials between the Chorro and Gaitanejo Falls.
I'm not generally afraid of heights, but this gave me the heebie jeebies...

10-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd do it, just to do it, and know that I did do it. Just gotta be really careful.
10-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some-one must have a death wish......frightening.
Cheers, Pickles.
10-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #4

he/she should've used a super wide angle lens. nevertheless its still effective

10-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I especially like the two feet size holes in the concrete in the beginning. Looks like somebody broke trough... I once climbed up a mountain on steep piece of snow/ice with the help of a rope. Only when I reached the top and saw the rope dropping over the ridge into nowhere I realized how steep it really was.
I generally don't have fear of heights either, but this path is not for me!
10-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There's another mad climb somewhere in China or Tibet, and there were some great pictures on Halbot haluze, but these are all I can find now -

Halbot prehlásenie

( Parental guidance advised for other content on halbut ! )

There's no way I'd go on either of these walks, and the cameraman on the El Camino del Ray didn't appear to be stopping to use the safety line.
10-13-2010, 04:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd have to take along a gun to blow my brains out when I got to the end, because there's no way in hell I'd be able to make it back down again and the prospect of sitting up there and starving to death would not appeal to me.

10-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #8
Inactive Account

There's videos of crazy bastard's mountain biking that. No joke.
10-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Insanity ..my heart is still ponding ...
10-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OMG. Since I heard the other hiker call "Mike" we know for sure you are certifiable! The height and narrow walk is scary, the crumbling concrete and holes starts the insanity part but when you had to walk the narrow, slippery beams for lack of sidewalk.......THATS certifiable. You will have no trouble working an "insanity plea" for whatever crimes you may commit as a photographer.

Great footage and watching the whole thing made it feel too real. I'll be back after I go change clothes.
10-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

A very well done video and it captures the the steep, narrow trail very well. There were ropes and cables along much of the trail where the hiker could attach a harness. There didn't appear to be any rope along that last downhill section. Pretty hairy but any experienced hiker in good physical condition should be able to negotiate it. Going back down on that crumbling rock would be the worse part of the trip.
10-13-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I would love to see some parcour done here
10-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Do the people stop to consider that the metal framing out the sidewalk with the great missing gaps of concrete is probably the same metal as the rusted-away missing guardrails?
10-13-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I wonder if the guy who setup the ropes and rails thought it was scary. Or the guys who made the walkways period.