Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #1
Ed in GA

Why are we photographers?

I've often wondered, and wanted to hear, what it is about photography that draws each of us to this hobby/profession.

I be interested to see your comments about these things

What drew you to photography?

What aspects of photography do you enjoy the most.

at what level of skill do you consider yourself?

and any others things that I haven't included.

09-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #2
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, I don't know.... But thanx for ask'n... Let's see... Perhaps to see if I can do it too?

In researching what camera and lenses I wanted to commit to before buying anything and settling -- umm, strike that, certainly didn't "settle" -- deciding on the K10D and forming my plan for what lenses to get, I researched expensively on all the popular photo galleries on the 'net and many nature photographer sites. Spectacular stuff. I was left asking myself "you really think your stuff will ever rival that?". Might as well collect all those spectacular images and just put them on my computer and faun all over them all day and night instead of attempting my own hand at it...!

...but then again, that's the challenge. Can I use what I have, and "see", in the right way to catch the light when it's just right and capture something that is unique and/or striking?

...so I can say "I did that" I guess and take some pride in it.

Oh, and the trip to Tanzania was the perfect Catalyst for this leap into this world. The wifie no longer had a valid argument asking "why do you need that" after she and her mother booked the trip to Tanzania...

..and I'm very much just an amateur. I don't even know if I can consider myself an 'advanced amateur' ... maybe once I get a Tripod I can take the next step!

Last edited by m8o; 09-11-2007 at 08:55 PM.
09-11-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can not paint nor draw beyond stick figures.

I guess I'm an amateur with a good eye for composition (so I'm told).

Not too concerned with pixel peeping, blown highlights, or the ultimate equipment.

As Rod Stewart sings, "every picture tells a story...(don't it?)". Sometimes the story is very short - "See Spot run". Sometimes it is longer or more meaningful.
09-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm an engineer, mathematician, and borderline OC. I am one of those high-functioning Rainman types that can calculate large numbers in my head without a pencil or calculator. I "drop out" and stare at a spot on the wall until whatever is going on in my brain sorts itself out. My wife has lived with this for 20 years and she's learned to just stop what she's talking about and wait for me to return. Despite all this, I'm reasonably socialized.

Photography lets me disassociate my left brain and experience the world, rather than just observing and categorizing it. Sometimes it comes naturally and sometimes I have to force myself into letting my creative side take over. My family is full of artists and artisans, but I have little skill at handcrafts. I couldn't give a tinkers damn about pixels, MTF charts, CMOS vs. CCD, etc. I just want to take pictures.

Oh, and I have kids. That's the real reason for all this. The grandmas and aunties all need their fix of our beautiful children.

Last edited by ericc; 09-11-2007 at 08:41 PM.
09-11-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

In my youth I had no interest at all - then married and kids - thus began the film PS days. I truly enjoyed taking family pictures but film was not for me. Was never one to be that organized with the photo albumns and stuff. To this day we have boxes and boxes of pictures.

Being a geek at heart - I jumped on the digital camera's PS once the mainstream reached 3-4 mp. a SONY DSC 85 if I remember right. It was still mostly family and functions and stored on the computer where I would make computer slide shows with music (another passion). There were many times I longed for a faster shutter - the early camera's shutter lag caused a lot of missed shots (thus began the yearning for a DSLR but no spare $$ in those days) .

Technology advanced (I now make DVD slide shows) - and my interest in photograhy expanded to almost everything! My wife has told me she is going to buy me a hat with RSP on it (Random S&*T Photographer).

Maybe it is age and the fact I now have a DSLR - it has expanded my interest to include almost everything. I think I always was a photographer at heart - just happen to be in a postion now where I can afford better tools , thus more fun for me (see Geek comment) on what I now call a passion.

Edit .. and Like Eric I am very right brained (Oracle DBA) all day and I think this helps balance out as well and again like Eric I have older teenagers now and some nephews and nieces are getting married so I am ready to catch the next generation

Last edited by daacon; 09-11-2007 at 09:21 PM.
09-11-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

I like to document our travels and other events, perhaps mostly for my own subsequent recollection but hopefully friends and family also enjoy following what's going on.

Next, I like the challenge of going after a subject, say the Sonoran desert or a macro shot of a butterfly or whatever, and try to get a better shot this time than I did last!

Finally, I enjoy photography because I can share that hobby with my son!
09-12-2007, 02:10 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Keep a history or who i was , where ide been and what ide done come time if n when oldtimers sets in ...
Just Joshin really ...
Just love what the ole fella up top has given us and like to capture it at its best for myself and others close to me....
used to like sketching but ye ole finges are a tad shaky in me older age so next best thing ey...
Cheers

09-12-2007, 04:46 AM   #8

What drew you to photography?.

For many years now one of my big interests has been Shipspotting. I got into photography when I wanted to take photo's of the local ships here in Hull and on the River Humber.

My father had been an amateur photographer since the mid-50s and his passion was for taking photo's of ships too. I guess he influenced me a great deal in this.

What aspects of photography do you enjoy the most..

Getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Even though the docks and the river are only 5 miles away from here they may as well be a million miles away. Sitting by the river with my camera on days off from work is very relaxing. Just being out in the fresh air with a slight breeze is wonderful. Hell, it's even OK when it rains!

at what level of skill do you consider yourself?.

I wouldn't like to be so presumptuous. I guess I'm an OK photographer and have a reasonable understanding of the art and science behind it all. I'm pretty keen to learn wherever I can. When I look at some of my colleagues who are doing the same stuff I think I'm pretty decent.

One thing I have noticed is that a lot of people just throw money into their gear thinking that $$$$ = Instant Gratification and Professional Quality output but that's just not the case at all. With my humble setup I can turn out some stunning shots more from the knowledge of my gear and a bit of forethought into composition than anything else.

Photography now is cheaper than it has ever been. Anything that takes film is pretty much worthless on the open market now so why not take advantage of that and shoot film alongside digital? I know of a few local amateur photographers who turn out some really nice shots but in reality don't know an F-stop from Shutter Speeds.

Digital photography is also a great way of learning. People who started merely a year ago are now turning out shots at a skill level that would have previously taken them years to attain.

It's a good time for us all right now.
09-12-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EddyinGA Quote
(snip) What drew you to photography? (snip)

My father was an electrical engineer and my mother was a painter, both very successful in their careers. Those influences caused a bit of conflict in my childhood, with each wanting me to follow in his or her footsteps. By the time I was ten years old, I could paint almost as well as my mother (sold my first landscape painting at nine) or build electronic devices almost as well as my father. But, while I still dabble in both, I eventually lost the patience to paint with oils and lost most of my interest in electronics (burnt-out). However, the desire and some interest still remained. Photography seemed like a good answer to the dilemma, allowing me to be creative while also being detailed enough to appease my technical nature somewhat. Now I just stop myself from grabbing a multimeter every time I see an electrical contact on a photo device by focusing on the pretty pictures instead.

Photography also satisfies other aspects as well. I love to travel. I like working with people. And I love the vastness of the world around us. Those very things drew me to the Coast Guard when I was bit younger, and towards photography now. Photography gives me an additional reason to travel, allows me to work with models and clients, and allows me to capture images of the world I've seen.

stewart
09-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

My dad has a ton of incredible slides from Vietnam, and photos/negatives from my childhood. They have more sentimental value to me than any video/film. As I have my own child on the way soon, it became very important to me to have something similar to give my child(ren).

Learning.

Noob.
09-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Great thread idea. Kinda brings you back to reality and mirrors in some ways M80's theme for the weekly contest.
When working on the oil rigs in the east coast of Canada I was seeing such incredible sights out on the ocean that I just wanted to try and capture some of it. To get the mood of a scene, not to copy other peoples work or be the best. Just the best to me. My (then) father in law had a Spotmatic. Gave it a try for a few days with his instruction. I wasn't very good (not sure if any better today sometimes) but was interested. So I bought a K1000 and a couple of lenses. Then one day in the aftermath of a storm I took a shot of a supply ship crashing through the waves. Unfortunately it was the 37th frame on my last roll for that month. Only 2/3rds of the frame was left on the roll. But the image on the slide was the best I've ever taken even to this day. I was hooked.

Taking a shot that takes me back to the moment it was taken. It doesn't have to be technically perfect but good in my eyes. Abstract impressions of a scene are the most appealing but capturing the mood means the most. Sitting in my office (at home) and taking a moment to enjoy a few of the shots on the wall.

at what level of skill do you consider yourself? experienced amateur. Not even advanced even though my first SLR camera was bought in 1982. I've sold enough to cover more than the costs of my hobby but am in no way a pro.

and any others things that I haven't included. Two things. I love the hobby for the joy of learning a new trick and getting the chance to try it in practice. When the shot works it's a rush. It's nice to have others enjoy the shot but not that important.

Second the community. It's fun to go to the local club and talk, learn and share shots and stories. The forum is like that sometimes as well. But in person it's fun to spend a little time with like minded people.
09-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
Inactive Account

As a teacher I like taking photos of my students. When I became a parent that passion extended to photographing my growing family.

What aspects of photography do you enjoy the most?
I enjoy everything about making a photograph including: visualizing and capturing the image and postprocessing. I also enjoy creating photoalbums and slideshows (the digital variety).

An moderately skilled amateur. I always know why something did not work, but I still cannot predict with 100% certainty how a photo will turn out after the shutter is released. I am getting better, but I have a long way to go.

I dislike the organizing and keep track of all my digital images.
09-12-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well a number of things, from playing with an old K1000 as a child. I used film for a good while, mostly black and white. Migrated to P&S digitals for a good number of years. a move to Greenland which is one of the most beautiful places in the world (to me), made me realise that I now had the perfect excuse for turning back.

Photography is my way of capturing my surroundings, unique expressions and let my creativity flow. Landscapes is what I mainly do, I love the feeling of lugging a photobag and my trusty tripod way out in the lonelyness, find that stunning view and just sit back and wait for the light to be just right.

The lonelyness can be either the Greenlandic outback or one of the many places I reach during my travels. A walk along the Thames in london, the usy streets of Newyork are great too, but my true passion is to be far out in Nautre accompanied by my photogear and perhaps my lovely better half, with whom I share this passion.

To me it is about contrasts and landscape photography is a much welcomed contrast from the stressed and busy environment from where i draw my primary income.

I belive I am a passionate freelance photographer, not a pro, not a noob, somewhere in between i guess. I take a photojob when I feel like it and sell a picture every now and then. Not being financially dependant on it is to me a freedom, downside is that I do not have as much time to do it as i would want to.
09-12-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

For me...

So long as I was shooting film, I wasn't *really* getting into photography unless I was in very close proximity to a 1-hour E6 lab.

Only when I got a DSLR did I really dive into it... but why with a DSLR and not my 35mm Spotmatic? Two words:

"Instant gratification"

Nothing like taking a shot with lots of enthusiasm, and then checking (chimping) on the back LCD and finding out, with great satisfaction, that you got a keeper; that your vision has materialized out of your brain, into the physical world.

I'll never be just a photographer, even though I am what is called a "Pro", these days, but it's a phase in my life where the biggest concentration is on photography, it is bound to change; but I'll always shoot for myself, to get that "instant gratification" that one can get so addicted to. It's my "fix."

Cheers!
-Asad
09-13-2007, 11:59 AM   #15
Veteran Member

My aunt is a photographer and takes wonderful photos. I have always loved taking pictures and my FAVORITE graduation present was the camera that my Aunt got for me.

I also scrapbook....and have really cute kids, both of which encourage taking photos

I am just an MWAC and happy with that!!