What the Tea Partiers Really Want

This:
What Tea Partiers Really Want | By Jonathan Haidt - WSJ.com
and this site:
Morality Quiz/Test your Morals, Values & Ethics - Your Morals.Org
YourMorals.Org Moral Psychology Blog
are quite interesting.......
QuoteQuote:
The tea party is often said to be a mixture of conservative and libertarian ideals. But in a study of 152,000 people who filled out surveys at YourMorals.org, led by my colleague Ravi Iyer of the University of Southern California, we found that libertarians are morally a bit more similar to liberals than to conservatives.

Libertarians are closer to conservatives on two of the five main psychological "foundations" of morality that we study—concerns about care and fairness (as described above). But on the other three psychological foundations—group loyalty, respect for authority and spiritual sanctity—libertarians are indistinguishable from liberals and far apart from conservatives. We call these the three "binding" foundations because they are the psychological systems used by groups—including religious groups, the military and even college fraternities—to bind people together into tight communities of trust, cooperation and shared identity. When you think about morality as a way of binding individuals together, it's no wonder that libertarians (who prize individual liberty above all else) part company with conservatives.

10-15-2010, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was going to say, a chai latte, and turns out I was right
10-16-2010, 12:48 AM   #3
Forum Member

I'm a Tea Party member, and all I want is Democrats & anybody that acts like a Democrat, GONE!
10-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tmj41765 Quote
I'm a Tea Party member, and all I want is Democrats & anybody that acts like a Democrat, GONE!
And you want what.. Republicans or Tea party people??? There seems to be a major gap between the 2....
Buddies list........
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/10/15/us/politics/20101015-tea-party-groups.html

Last edited by jeffkrol; 10-16-2010 at 05:13 AM.
10-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #5
Inactive Account

care and fairness - this is what is legislated every day
group loyalty - this comes into play with party politics but doesn't much affect policy. Libertarians are more independent minded than either conservatives or liberals.
respect for authority - This goes hand in hand with independence
spiritual sanctity - This is defended by the constitution and can be fought out in courts

The reason why libertarians are lining up with conservatives right now is because they agree on the moral issues that congress deals with.
10-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #6
Banned

Tea Party people are mostly clueless fat couch potatoes that don't like people that don't look like them. They love their guns but are really the world's biggest weenies.
10-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Inactive Account

It seems that those clueless couch potatoes will be steam rollering the well informed speedy liberals in a few weeks. We will see how it plays out soon enough.

10-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Tea Party is the best thing to happen to the Democratic Party in a long time.
10-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I have been misinformed. I was told it was Obama, Pelosi and Reid and now it is the Tea Party people. Politics is hard sometimes.
10-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tmj41765 Quote
And then?

(Also, I'm curious of your criterion 'Acting like a Democrat.' To satisfy your desires, well, Should I dress more expensively, or just cast my eyes down when you pass?)

Of course, I could just act like a Green, which is less fussy, cause though often mistaken for Democrats at times, we're *invisible,* you know.

(Nader doesn't count: while he was correct on many points and very principled, it seemed that got kind of Frankenstein after a while. Put a suit on some dissident thing from the Johnson administration, now he's like stalking the land quoting Milton with the 'You made me, why have you scorned me!' sort of thing going on. Should have let him debate, is the lesson from Shelley, there.

Makes me feel sorry for the Libertarian party, their 'Free Market' only meant they got their party bought out by Bob Barr and Gingrich. Wholly-owned subsidiary of what the Libertarians thought they were competing against... )

---------- Post added 10-18-10 at 02:22 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
I have been misinformed. (snip). Politics is hard sometimes.

Truest thing I can recall you saying, Phil (if you'll forgive my redactions for emphasis; that's kind of the point here.)

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-18-2010 at 11:26 AM.
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
It seems that those clueless couch potatoes will be steam rollering the well informed speedy liberals in a few weeks. We will see how it plays out soon enough.
I can't wait to see what the clueless weenies will do since they had no problem dumping a trillion US taxpayer $ down the Iraq money pit looking for WMDs.

In a 13 month period from May 2003 to June 2004, the Federal Reserve sent nearly $12 billion in cash, mainly in $100 bills from the United States to Iraq,to do that, the Federal Reserve Bank in New York had to pack 281 million individual bills … onto wooden pallets to be shipped to Iraq. The cash weighed more than 363 tons and was loaded onto C-130 cargo planes to be flown into Baghdad

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjXPOxnu2N8[/YT]
10-18-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I can't wait to see what the clueless weenies will do since they had no problem dumping a trillion US taxpayer $ down the Iraq money pit looking for WMDs.

In a 13 month period from May 2003 to June 2004, the Federal Reserve sent nearly $12 billion in cash, mainly in $100 bills from the United States to Iraq,to do that, the Federal Reserve Bank in New York had to pack 281 million individual bills … onto wooden pallets to be shipped to Iraq. The cash weighed more than 363 tons and was loaded onto C-130 cargo planes to be flown into Baghdad
Look a bean counter in a flak jacket and m-16...... not something you see often.
10-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Another interesting article here: Glenn Beck, the Tea Party, and the Republicans : The New Yorker

QuoteQuote:
Bob Inglis, of South Carolina, a tough conservative who nonetheless backed Bush’s financial bailout, lost a vicious primary fight with a right-wing insurgent named Trey Gowdy. To his amazement, Inglis was confronted on the campaign trail by voters who were convinced that numbers on their Social Security cards indicated that a secret bank had bought them at birth. “And then, of course,” he recalls, “it turned into something about the Federal Reserve and the Bilderbergers and all that stuff.”
Insane.
10-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Look a bean counter in a flak jacket and m-16...... not something you see often.

Student fees are a kind of a thing, even for social darwinists in accounting school.

If they wanted warriors, well, they missed out on me in the 80's. Wrong plumbing and I guess some kind of thing about 'sins.' Now you got what. That dude. And excuses. Bon appetit.

You know, at the time, they wouldn't let girls, never mind queers, fly the real birds, even if you had something ridiculous like 20/2 vision, a couple you-hoo sized bottles where most people keep their adrenal glands, and a major case of 'Uncle Sam Get Me Out Of Here.' No they wonder how frat boys and no-bid contractors could *possibly* have screwed up such a brilliant plan as Bush's 'God Spoke To me And Told me I know What I'm Doing' Iraq. That's why I Forced our best Generals to Lie Under Orders And Resign.'

Speaking of DADT: If our Marines' worst concern is their own or some Fundie closet case's 'Don't Drop the soap' jokes.... Send the motivated kids, and just give em an America to come home to.

The rest seems to work out OK.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 10-18-2010 at 01:40 PM.
10-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #15
Banned

I love the smell of US Taxpayer money in the morning. You know, one time we had an enemy position bombed for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' Iraqi body. The smell, you know that burning US Taxpayer money smell, the whole area. Smelled like victory. Someday this war's gonna end...