Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Planning second system.

I would have done this two years ago when the D200 came out, but it had a couple of issues that stood in direct conflict with how I want to shoot (more to do with ergonomics and other small options, than anything else), so I decided to stay away.

With the D300, Nikon has resolved every single issue I had with the D200, and now I'm seriously considering going two system. I'll keep one K10D and most of my primes, sell whatever zoom I have in a few months time and get Nikon gear, use that for work, keep the Pentax for myself only.

Here's my plan for the Nikon system:

2x D300 bodies
17-55/2.8 DX (used it several times, very good [and expensive] lens)
85/1.4 Nikkor
70-200/2.8 VR (this zoom is a masterpiece, forget FA*80-200 or even the Canon 70-200/2.8 IS, this baby scratches prime quality wide open)
Some kind of Macro, not sure which, yet.

In that vein, I've dropped my plans for a 16-50/2.8 and 50-135/2.8; just get a Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro for now and pair it with my 70-200/2.8 DG, using two K10Ds.

I think what I'll sell from my Pentax lineup is one K10D body, Sigma 18-50/2.8 (dont have yet), Sigma 70-200/2.8 DG (already has a potential customer lined up), FA50/1.4 and FA77/1.8.

After the cleanup, my Pentax line will look like this in most probability:

DA14/2.8, FA31/1.8, DFA50/2.8 Macro, Voigtlander 75/2.5, I *may* add a DA*200/2.8 to this just to give it a bit of reach.

My work just simply cannot stop and wait for Pentax to make releases, yet I love the system, the primes, so they'll stay for personal shooting. Another reason is the fact that both Canon and Nikon have "Pro" programs you can enroll in so there's less of a chance of my entire photography getting crippled by months of repairs at Pentax, in case a body and/or lens breaks down all of a sudden.

Anyone else having such thoughts?

Cheers,
-Asad

09-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #2

Well if the potential 70-200 customer falls through there may be at least one other Vancouverite interested in that lens, and possibly some of the other lenses when the time comes. So at least keep me in mind.

John
09-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I won't blame you for going two-system. Go with whatever system suits you.

Personally, I would also choose Nikon over Canon if I was a working photographer, if only because Nikon's images seem closer to Pentax than Canon does to Pentax. As well, ergonomics are also better with Nikon.

I do wish that Pentax would do more for your market segment. Not only would it help people like you, but it would also help with brand recognition since a lot of potential buyers would buy into a system that professionals use, even if they're only buying the low-end models.

That said, I might also be interested in some of the lenses you'd be selling.
09-12-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I hear what you are saying. I have had the K10D in the shop since August 14 and I can't get an ETA on when it will be returned nor will Pentax send a replacement (as it is a warranty repair)...I've been holding off buying a second body awaiting the announcement of the next dslr...its becoming somewhat frustrating...

09-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Is a second system really the answer? From a personal or business standpoint I would say owning two systems doesn't really lend itself to being very efficient or cost effective. I switched a little while ago from Pentax to Canon, having made a considerable investment in Pentax glass I knew that I'd be able to at least fund a good supply of lenses for my motorsports photography with the new system.

Owning two systems is going to mean spending double the money essentially as you will most likely find yourself hopping back and forth between lens/equipment choices for both systems.

As for Nikon versus Canon, a body is a tool which you the artist manipulate into what you need so in that regard I'd say go with what you feel comfortable using and what fits your needs. I simply cannot argue the sheer beauty that Canon L glass offers (I own the 70-200 f4 L currently with a 24-105 f4 L on the way and a 100-400 L as well), if you have the chance to test a 70-200 L series then take the f4 IS version for a spin; I can guarantee you will not be disappointed

Goodluck with your decision, my suggestion would still be to sell the Pentax gear and invest in a single system which allows you to stock more equipment and get better bang for the buck so to speak.
09-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

^^

Good point. When it comes down to professional rigs, you really can't go wrong with either Canon or Nikon. Loads of top-notch lenses, pro support, constant body development, both have these. It'll come down to personal feelings. The new crop of Nikon and Canon bodies, paired with the myriad of lenses available, are likely able to handle most anything that's thrown their way.