Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Whom do I contact?

Hey Guys, I am not sure if this thread has to be posted somewhere else, but I'll let it pass.
So, recently, My dad ordered a Pentax SMC 50MM F:1.7 for the K-x that I have, which was to be my first prime, from ebay. Now, the guy on ebay says that he has shipped it, and has also mailed us some pics of the lens having been packed and ready for shipping (he has got a 99.9% +ve review). The shipping method was non-trackable. He shipped it from US (I dont remember the city) to Ahmedabad, India.
Now, the problem is that it's been almost a month now, and the lens has still not arrived. It never took any of the other photographic items that we have ordered from ebay so long to reach, and now I think the lens has either lost it's way or there's something fishy about the guy. I have no clue whom to contact so as to know where the lens is right now. Anybody's got any idea whom to speak to????

Attached Images

10-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You can see from the picture that is was mailed from Middleton, Wisconsin.
10-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #3

Zip code is 53562. Maybe get the phone number for that post office and call them??
10-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Raylon

To me it looks like a genuine case of lost package. Have you tried talking to the seller?

10-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
To me it looks like a genuine case of lost package. Have you tried talking to the seller?
Yes, my dad had contacted him about a week ago, and he told us that it would be better to wait for a few more days for it to arrive. There's not been any other advice from him thereafter.
10-16-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Raylon

Well, if it really is a lost package issue, it's as much out of his hands as it is yours. Did he get insurance? I know you can get insurance without tracking.
10-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you paid for it using paypal and a visa card you maybe able to eventually claim the undelivered item through your visa insurance.

10-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've sent & received stuff from the USA (I'm in Canada), and I've had it sometimes take over a month, and we are neighbors, so I wouldn't panic yet. I think you've got 45 days to wait, and you can file with Paypal, but I do have to agree, I don't think it would be the sellers issue. I would wait another week, and see what happens, then if needed, file a claim with Paypal. (assuming that's how you paid)
10-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I sent something from the UK to a guy in Japan (a Pentakon 6 if you must know) it took almost 2 months.
10-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raylon Quote
Well, if it really is a lost package issue, it's as much out of his hands as it is yours. Did he get insurance? I know you can get insurance without tracking.
You cannot buy insurance on packages mailed USPS First Class international, only for Priority Mail International. I buy & sell alot of gear online, both here and on eBay. I stress to buyers outside the US that if they must insist on saving a few dollars on shipping by opting for first class....that I cannot be responsible for lost packages. Unfortunately, without a confirmed delivery, sellers can still be at risk for Paypal claims even though buyers are aware of this limitation.

I sympathize with the buyer in this case, it sucks not receiving something you've paid for...however I can also sympathize with the seller....as someone who once lost $250 on a sale when a buyer INSISTED on using first class on a lens I sent overseas, and even though I made him aware that the package could not be tracked or insured and I wouldn't be responsible for lost/damaged packages...I still wound up losing a paypal claim because I couldn't prove delivery. Lesson learned for me was, that on items worth more than $50...I absolutely no longer will ship First Class. Just too much risk if I can't insure it, and can't confirm delivery.

As for the OP...I really hope this works out for you. Just keep in mind there's a very good chance the seller really did sent this lens, and by the looks of the package there's no way he could have had insurance on it because it looks like it went out First Class. Of course it could just be delayed (I don't know how your postal system is there in India)...could be hung up in customs, or it could have been stolen somewhere along the line by an unscrupulous package handler (it happens). Keep that in mind...maybe if it doesn't show up you could work it out with the seller and split the loss or something. And keep in mind for next time...it's generally a good idea to spend the $10 or so extra for Priority Mail Int'l.
10-16-2010, 12:57 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I had to wait 7-8 weeks for something that shipped by surface mail, via this forum. It did arrive in the end although I feared it was lost. If you can find out how it is supposed to get to you, and it isn't sea, best just to have patience.
10-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #12

Per USPS:
Processed through Sort Facility, September 20, 2010, 11:07 pm, OAK CREEK, WI 53154
Acceptance, September 20, 2010, 1:49 pm, MIDDLETON, WI 53562
That info plus the photo add up to pretty reliable confirmation that the package was indeed sent. It's only been 4 weeks - I wouldn't be too concerned yet. 4 to 6 weeks is normal.
10-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgmankos Quote
You cannot buy insurance on packages mailed USPS First Class international, only for Priority Mail International. I buy & sell alot of gear online, both here and on eBay. I stress to buyers outside the US that if they must insist on saving a few dollars on shipping by opting for first class....that I cannot be responsible for lost packages. Unfortunately, without a confirmed delivery, sellers can still be at risk for Paypal claims even though buyers are aware of this limitation.

I sympathize with the buyer in this case, it sucks not receiving something you've paid for...however I can also sympathize with the seller....as someone who once lost $250 on a sale when a buyer INSISTED on using first class on a lens I sent overseas, and even though I made him aware that the package could not be tracked or insured and I wouldn't be responsible for lost/damaged packages...I still wound up losing a paypal claim because I couldn't prove delivery. Lesson learned for me was, that on items worth more than $50...I absolutely no longer will ship First Class. Just too much risk if I can't insure it, and can't confirm delivery.

As for the OP...I really hope this works out for you. Just keep in mind there's a very good chance the seller really did sent this lens, and by the looks of the package there's no way he could have had insurance on it because it looks like it went out First Class. Of course it could just be delayed (I don't know how your postal system is there in India)...could be hung up in customs, or it could have been stolen somewhere along the line by an unscrupulous package handler (it happens). Keep that in mind...maybe if it doesn't show up you could work it out with the seller and split the loss or something. And keep in mind for next time...it's generally a good idea to spend the $10 or so extra for Priority Mail Int'l.
Judging from the postal stamp (top of box between postage sticker and return address label) he did send it. The lens is probably banging around the customs depot in India or on somebody else's camera there or in the hospital's postal room.

10-17-2010, 08:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

The advice here about patience is correct. These things take time.

If it makes a difference, I have met this gentleman and he seems a very decent guy. I bought some odds and ends from him - met him at his home and all seemed in order.

Pentax Forums is a wonderful thing ......
10-22-2010, 11:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Judging from the postal stamp (top of box between postage sticker and return address label) he did send it. The lens is probably banging around the customs depot in India or on somebody else's camera there or in the hospital's postal room.
The lens cost me around 4000 Rs. and in India, customs levy on items which cost only more than 10,000Rs. So, I dont think it would be lying in customs depot.