Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #1

Anyone familiar with Santa Cruz, CA?

Planning on taking my girlfriend there for her 21st birthday next weekend. We don't drink so whats there to do? We both love to take pictures and I know she wants to go to the beach and shop. What beaches are good and which ones to avoid? I'm looking at Bella Notte as for lodging. Restaurants, photo spots, shopping? I need some help haha.

10-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
Planning on taking my girlfriend there for her 21st birthday next weekend. We don't drink so whats there to do? We both love to take pictures and I know she wants to go to the beach and shop. What beaches are good and which ones to avoid? I'm looking at Bella Notte as for lodging. Restaurants, photo spots, shopping? I need some help haha.
Go up into the Redwoods and .... take pictures. Seriously. Well worth the trip.

Welcome to Big Basin Redwoods State Park, Big.Basin.org

woof!
10-18-2010, 02:55 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
YEP! The Redwoods!

Take a short drive over to Felton and the surrounding areas. There's also a historic railroad you can take through the old logging camps, but it only runs once a day (I think) so you have to research it to find out when it leaves.)

I stayed at a fantastic little cabin near a brook in Felton, but can't remember the name of the place. They had like 10 cabins for rent, and it was right next to a park that was named after some guy.
10-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I hope the weather improves. Lots of coast line to shoot. You are near Moss Landing and boats and not too far from Monterey/Carmel. Lots of great places there to snuggle by the fire and great dining too. Visit the Ansel Adams exhibit. You might be able to get some vineyard shots as there are a few around Santa Cruz but more in the Carmel Valley. Good trip.

10-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Here are some food places that I like for dates ...

Gayle's Bakery & Rosticceria Home Page lunch
Cafe Cruz Restaurant - Lunch and Dinner Menu, blending traditional regional American and world foods with new and innovative techniques, creating our New American Cuisine, French Rotisol Rotisserie. dinner

I would walk down the warf and hit up downtown ... then maybe hit up the beach 26th and 30th not to crowded and they allow bonfires at night.

Enjoy your weekend

10-18-2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Forum Member

Check out downtown. Always a character or three walking around on Pacific Ave and Kianti's is a great place for dinner. Lots of cool places to shop as well. The Wharf around sunset would be fantastic for shooting provided you bring along a tripod.

I'd avoid the beach at the Boardwalk. Always way too busy. If you head south towards Aptos there's quite a few that are much more secluded.
10-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
Great suggestions guys. I should have added that we only have time for one day of walking around. Leaving Friday night and staying at a hotel so we can get up early to use the whole day Saturday.

I love your suggestions bayareahdv, almost like a PBS special on Santa Cruz.

The weather reports say 66-68 degrees on the 23rd so I think we should be good. The hotel is on East Cliff Dr, how far away is that from all the shops? Any nice beaches in the area?

Last edited by Skullsroad; 10-18-2010 at 03:47 PM.