Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-17-2010, 05:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Questions about International Shipping

I'm considering an offer on an expensive lens from an area which has a reputation for shipping issues. I guess the plan would be to ship USPS fully insured and with delivery confirmation. Two questions:

1. Does anyone here have any experience with collecting on the insurance after a shipment got ...um..."lost"? If so, how much of hassle was it?

2. The would-be buyer requests that the value declared for customs purposes be understated to some degree. Would the discrepancy between declared and insured value be an issue if I needed to collect on the insurance?

10-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry, I don't have any wxperience collecting on shipping insurance, but I would be very skeptical about insurance covering more than the customs value. I was unaware that other countries could ship via USPS, much more skepticism!
10-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I'm considering an offer on an expensive lens from an area which has a reputation for shipping issues. I guess the plan would be to ship USPS fully insured and with delivery confirmation. Two questions:

1. Does anyone here have any experience with collecting on the insurance after a shipment got ...um..."lost"? If so, how much of hassle was it?

2. The would-be buyer requests that the value declared for customs purposes be understated to some degree. Would the discrepancy between declared and insured value be an issue if I needed to collect on the insurance?
I don't even know if the post office will allow an insured amount different than the Declared amount. I would almost certainly think, that if they did, the payout (if you got one at all) would be the lesser amount. If it's really a concern to you, you may do well to sell it to someone else. What country?

Also, Since the insured amount is written directly on the customs form, it may cause a problem at the other end.

10-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I don't want to finger the country, Jeff--let's just say there are grounds for concern. ,

10-17-2010, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Bottom line is I would not fudge the documents. Whatever you are selling, will sell. The buyer can find another if he/she is uncomfortable with your terms.

That's my nickel's worth of advice.

10-17-2010, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote

Collecting the insurance is not all that difficult. As long as the delivery is tracked, and can be confirmed. Don't declare one value and insure for a greater value. You will set yourself up for issues.

woof!
10-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Don't declare one value and insure for a greater value. You will set yourself up for issues.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I don't want any issues: this would have to be a bullet-proof arrangement. Thanks for confirming my instinct.

10-18-2010, 04:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is my professional day job to advise my employer on compliant, cost-saving Customs procedures in import and export worldwide. Understating the value can be a reason for the insurance to forgo payment altogether on the basis of fraud as well as putting you on the line with a criminal offense with the Customs authorities in the country of export - more so if that is the US, as in your case. To top that off, your parcel may be impounded by Customs in the country of destination and the buyer may be up for penalties like double the amount of taxes due.

Have a look at this US Customs explanation.

The WTO and WCO basis for Customs valuation worldwide is the GATT agreement: Article VII of the General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade laid down the general principles for an international system of valuation. It stipulated that the value for customs purposes of imported merchandise should be based on the actual value of the imported merchandise on which duty is assessed, or of like merchandise, and should not be based on the value of merchandise of national origin or on arbitrary or fictitious values.
10-18-2010, 05:14 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Always good to get the official reading--thanks, newmikey
10-18-2010, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I always mark the full value on customs form, and insurance (same amounts) - Newmikey makes an excellent point in that regard. I mark as gift, send USPS express mail international fully insured - the express mail option is actually only a negligible amount more as insurance is quite cheaper to purchase than if you ship priority mail (for instance, I sent a lens marked at $180 and it only cost an additional $0.75 for full insurance via express mail). It also gets there faster, and has better tracking IMO.
10-19-2010, 11:48 PM   #11

You may want to review the USPS international mail manual. Best I can figure, plain old Express Mail International provides tracking, but not delivery confirmation. The regulations are not entirely clear, unfortunately.

I take the conservative view (especially for high value content) that tracking is not the same as delivery confirmation. For true delivery confirmation with Express Mail International, you need a return receipt . Fortunately, return receipt is included in the EMI the price. It's my experience that you must specifically request return receipt as an added service. Unfortunately, only a small number of countries provide return receipts to the sender via USPS.
10-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by thirdofthree Quote
You may want to review the USPS international mail manual. Best I can figure, plain old Express Mail International provides tracking, but not delivery confirmation. The regulations are not entirely clear, unfortunately.

I take the conservative view (especially for high value content) that tracking is not the same as delivery confirmation. For true delivery confirmation with Express Mail International, you need a return receipt . Fortunately, return receipt is included in the EMI the price. It's my experience that you must specifically request return receipt as an added service. Unfortunately, only a small number of countries provide return receipts to the sender via USPS.
I no longer have the forms from my last EMS shipment so I cannot prove this beyond a doubt but I do believe that the tracking number DOES show delivery and is the Only one to reliably do so. Any method of tracking requires (of course) the proper scan on the other end of the journey.

10-20-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thirdofthree Quote

I love the catch-all, "10. Other valuable articles" in the EMI list of prohibited items: I mean, huh?!

The bottom line for me is that shipping a big ticket item to a country which does not provide proof of delivery is simply out of my comfort zone.