Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Buying locally, when you can. The advantage.

I april of this year, I purchased a Monolight system from my local camera store. Most people familiar with prosumer strobe systems will know that Interfit, Calumet, Promaster are all made by the same people in the Bowens style.

Earlier today, just prior to a shoot in my studio, I fired up my monolights. Much to my chargin, I found the the fan/blower in one of them had stopped working. Another warranty repair. I called the local B&M and asked what I needed to do to get it to repair. The owner simply said, "Bring it in and we'll exchange it." An hour later, brand new monolight.

I try to buy as much from these people as is economically possible and for just this reason.

10-21-2010, 08:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's great. There's no better feeling than knowing that you have local folks to rely on when you need something or someone in a hurry.

Beyond the business need, it's also very pleasurable. I love to walk by the local shops, see what they have, and talk photography for a while. I hope giving these folks my business will keep them around! I try to buy my film stock from a little mom-and-pop pro lab (El Pro), and buy my cameras and sundry supplies from all the local retailers in Toronto. I could be saving a bit of money going online, but I would rather have local suppliers for when I need them.

The only need I have for online retailing is KEH, for used gear that is hard to get locally.
10-26-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always supported my local camera store but unfortunately, many people don't. We no longer have one within 50 miles and the ones in the Albany area don't sell Pentax.