Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2010, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hispanics shouldn't vote....

Univision pulls NV ad urging Hispanics not to vote
QuoteQuote:
A Republican-backed ad campaign urging Hispanics not to vote next month has been yanked by a radio station following a protest led by Nevada Democrats. Univision told The Associated Press on Tuesday the spot was pulled from its Las Vegas Spanish-language radio station Tuesday shortly after its debut.

Univision also says it will not run a companion ad on its Spanish-language TV broadcasting network and will continue to encourage Hispanics to vote.

The Republican group Latinos for Reform had planned to run the commercials in Nevada, Florida, California, Texas and Colorado.

Founder Robert de Posada says Democrats promised immigration reform to Hispanics to get elected in 2008, then ignored the issue. He says Hispanics should punish both political parties by sitting out the election.

10-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
Founder Robert de Posada says Democrats promised immigration reform to Hispanics to get elected in 2008, then ignored the issue.
I must be missing something here. If the ones protesting (by not voting) are illegals, then they can't vote, and if the protesters are here legally, then why is immigration reform an issue for them? They're already here.
10-19-2010, 02:43 PM   #3
Inactive Account

10-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I must be missing something here. If the ones protesting (by not voting) are illegals, then they can't vote, and if the protesters are here legally, then why is immigration reform an issue for them? They're already here.
I assume they are referring to those eligible to vote..... and are catering to the friends/family who were "left behind"......
Either way that ad is just plain wrong and un-american to suggest anyone shouldn't vote...........
And I guess you really can't see the illegal immigrant backlash as an attack on a race of people.......

10-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Of course undocumented democrats wherever they are should vote.
10-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I assume they are referring to those eligible to vote..... and are catering to the friends/family who were "left behind"......
Either way that ad is just plain wrong and un-american to suggest anyone shouldn't vote...........
And I guess you really can't see the illegal immigrant backlash as an attack on a race of people.......
QuoteQuote:
The Republican group Latinos for Reform had planned to run the commercials in Nevada, Florida, California, Texas and Colorado.
I agree that it is wrong and un-American to suggest anyone shouldn't vote. I will even add stupid to suggest that it is a productive form of protest, but where is the racial component in a Hispanic group urging Hispanics not to vote?
10-19-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
Of course undocumented democrats wherever they are should vote.
Since this is a discussion tell me how you really feel about the tactic.... telling people not to vote... there now it's a simple question for you you bethca...

10-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
Since this is a discussion tell me how you really feel about the tactic.... telling people not to vote... there now it's a simple question for you you bethca...
Being from the part of the country where that dialect of English is quite common, I have to correct you. That "you betcha" should actually be "Dontcha know" Being from Wisconsin, you of all people should know that.
10-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #9
Inactive Account

They should have at least told them to vote for the none of the above option in Nevada.
10-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My question is, if you're Hispanic but look Asian, should you vote in Nevada or not? What if you're Asian but look Hispanic, or an Asian married to a Hispanic?

Sharron Angle to Hispanics: You Look Asian - Nevada candidate in bizarre defense of ads attacking illegal immigration

Oh so confusing!
10-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
My question is, if you're Hispanic but look Asian, should you vote in Nevada or not? What if you're Asian but look Hispanic, or an Asian married to a Hispanic?

Sharron Angle to Hispanics: You Look Asian - Nevada candidate in bizarre defense of ads attacking illegal immigration

Oh so confusing!

Oh COME ON! It's SO easy. If you were going to vote Democrat, then don't vote. SHEESH.
10-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
My question is, if you're Hispanic but look Asian, should you vote in Nevada or not? What if you're Asian but look Hispanic, or an Asian married to a Hispanic? Sharron Angle to Hispanics: You Look Asian - Nevada candidate in bizarre defense of ads attacking illegal immigration
Oh so confusing!
Si, vota. Xie xie.