Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
USB Flash drive security

I want to be able to protect my USB drive from others by way of a password. I don't want anything fancy, ideally just put in a password whenever I first open it in Explorer or whatever, then not have to do that again until I've taken it out and put it in again next time.

Is there anything (free?) out there that can do this?

I've had a look at a few, but they encrypt each file one by one and are bit too over the top. Maybe just having a protected folder on the drive would be good, so the drive has an unprotected bit and anything put in the protected folder needs a password to access.

Any ideas?

09-14-2007, 03:09 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I use Cryptainer - seems to work ok, but I'm not expert enough to verify the claims regarding the strength of the encryption. It creates something like an encrypted partition on the drive, that you can populate with files or folders.

Cypherix Products - Easy to use, Strong encryption for Windows

Last edited by ChrisN; 09-14-2007 at 03:49 AM.
09-14-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A little sticker with the words "property of Mongrel Mob, Don't touch" should do it.
Sorry couldn't resist.

Cheers

Eddie
09-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Another option is TrueCrypt, it is also free and it works very reliably.

09-15-2007, 03:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys, sounds like what i want - and Eddie, I wouldn't dare, it may fall out of my bag as walking past one of them, and if he can read, I'm in real trouble!