Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Retrack my support for Abe's of Maine

In a past post a user asked the credibility of Abe's of Maine and gave my full support. In the past I had ordered 2 lenses from Abe's with no problem. Sure I had to deal with the up-sell call but my orders shipped and there were no problems. i have been very happy with these lenses.

In the past year it seems the practices at Abe's has changed and there are many dissatisfied customers you can find just doing a simple Google search (just go a few pages in after their paid placement links) and today I join them.

Last Saturday I put in an order for a Pentax p-da 55-300mm lens that I expected to have to play around with this coming weekend. I immediately got a call the next day (Sunday) to confirm my order. The website and Phil the sales guy confirmed that the lens was in stock and would ship as soon as possible and more than likely Monday.

Well there was no tracking number sent to me Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday. I checked the status of my order online on Wednesday and it finally read "sent to warehouse." I checked the website to see if Abe's even still carried the lens and now reads "backordered."

Abe's customer service hours have changed since I last ordered. They are now 10am to 6pm Eastern Standard Time. I do live in this time zone, but it doesn't even state that and for a world wide online retailer, they should . If you work during the day and don't have time to make calls 10am-6pm is most of your working day.

I went to check my online account to see if my card had been charged and sure enough it was on Sunday the 17th with no tracking number sent to me!

I called today to see what was going on. An Alfred confirmed that the lens is backordered and it was up to Pentax to send them new lenses. He gave no indication as to when these lenses would be in stock. I have asked to have the order canceled and my card promptly reimbursed. Alfred said that depending on my bank that can take a few days. I will keep checking my account but it is a headache I didn't expect.

Again I am not the first this year to see these changes occurring at Abe's but I have recommended Abe's to people on this forum and would now strongly discourage ordering anything from them today. $10 less then B&H or Adorama is just not worth it.

I hope one day they get their act together but I rarely every go back to an online retailer who exhibits these type of practices.

10-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Your circumstances are not unusual. Any seller can have a software or inventory glitch from time to time.

So, buy it at a local shop, or a seller who does not charge your card until the order ships.

Good luck.