Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
PayPal+eBay+Adorama - transaction is "Temporary Hold"

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello!

I purchased the lens from Adorama via eBay.
Pentax SMCP-FA 31mm f/1.8 AL WA AF,Ltd Edition Lens Kit - eBay (item 330482176266 end time Nov-06-10 19:51:50 PDT)
I used my PayPal account to perform the payment.
After performing the payment I checked my bank account every day to be sure that the lens wil be sent me immediately after the payment is completed. And after two days I saw that money was gone from my bank account. I went to eBay to check if my order was sent to me. But it was not. I contacted Adorama and they answered me that they did not receive my payment. Then I went to PayPal and found that my trasaction was "Temporary Hold".
As far as I understood PayPal will release the payment after 21 days or if the seller confirm that purchase was shipped. Adorama cannot send me the lens until they get money. So I have to wait 21 days. But I indicated my hotel address in the US when I was making the purchase. And after 21 days it will be too late - I will leave US. I thought that this will take not more than 10 days.
I am frustrated...

Have anybody got the same situation and what did you do?
Any suggestions are very welcome.

10-24-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds you like need to contact Paypal to get to the bottom of this.
10-24-2010, 02:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Sounds you like need to contact Paypal to get to the bottom of this.
Thanks, John. I sent them an email (using "contact us" on paypal.com) and got an automatic responce that they will answer me in 72 hours maximum. About 48 hours have been gone and they still keep silence. I tried to call them but their automatic operator does not accept the Web PIN that I see on their web page. So I cannot explain the situation to anybode from PayPal.
I have a button "Dispute a transaction" in PayPal Resolution Center. But as far as I understood I should use this button only if I was hacked and this payment should be rolled back. Or if I am not satisfied with the quality of the item. But these are not my cases - I would like just to push this payment forward.
Time works against me so I decided to ask the question here to find the best and the shortest way to solve the problem.
10-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The very reason for the trouble might be having a temporary address as a shipping address. Try contacting Paypal: they seem to answer email by next day, calling them should be faster, but prepare to have an Internet connection handy, as they have an on-line identification system. I just discovered this, as I tried to look the phone number up for you. I suppose the number I got is good for calling from Finland only, so you need to go to the Paypal site to get the one that works for you (this can be found with "contact us" at the bottom of the main page).

[ Edit: I see you tried calling them already, I guess you can only wait a response to the email now. ]

10-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neco Quote
Thanks, John. I sent them an email (using "contact us" on paypal.com) and got an automatic responce that they will answer me in 72 hours maximum. About 48 hours have been gone and they still keep silence. I tried to call them but their automatic operator does not accept the Web PIN that I see on their web page. So I cannot explain the situation to anybode from PayPal
Try the following PayPal Customer Service phone numbers...

1-888-221-1161 end_of_the_skype_highlighting (Toll Free for Premier/Business Accounts)
1-888-204-4481 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting Toll Free for Premier/Business Accounts)
1-402-935-7733 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (Personal Accounts)
1-402-935-2050 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting (Personal Accounts)
10-24-2010, 03:00 PM   #6

Original Poster
Try the following PayPal Customer Service phone numbers...
Thank you very much, John! I tried them all. The story is always the same "I am not finding that Web PIN. Let's try something else".
Maybe I do something wrong?
- I call a number.
- It tells me that coversation may be recorded.
- It tells me that she cannot find the phone number that I am calling from in their repository. I call from my work and I do not know which number is on out of organization.
- It offers me to enter Web PIN if I have it. Yes I have and I enter it after she says "Enter you Web PIN now...".
- It is thinking. After this it repeat the Web PIN that I entered to me and asks "Is that correct?"
- I asnwer "Yes". I do not have any button "Yes" on my phone so I hope it recognizes the voice.
- After this it tells me "I am not finding that Web PIN. Let's try something else." And offer me to enter phone number that accoticated with PayPal account (I think so).
- This is a problem for me because I see that my number in PayPal begins from "+" and I cannot dial this on my phone. I tried various ways, but they were not successful.
- After this it tries to advise me to say briefly what is my problem. But I cannot do this briefly.
10-24-2010, 03:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds like the phone you're using isn't sending standard tones to the system.

If you have a cell phone, you can try sending tones from the cell phone(using the keypad) through the receiver( low tech hack). Other than that, I really don't see what else you could do other than trying another phone.

10-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
Sounds like the phone you're using isn't sending standard tones to the system.
Well it definetely recognizes the Web PIN when I enter it. For example, if I input 123456 it will say me "I think you have entered one, two, three, four, five, six. Is that correct?". I answer "Yes" and she says me "I am not finding that Web PIN".
I suspect that PINs that they provide on their "contact us" web page are not registered in the system that receives calls.
10-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

When trying to look up the number to call there was an option for those without an account from which I got the number here in Finland. Try that for a number where you might get to talk to someone?
10-24-2010, 06:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
When trying to look up the number to call there was an option for those without an account from which I got the number here in Finland. Try that for a number where you might get to talk to someone?
If I understood you correctly (sorry, my english is poor) you suggest me to try to press "contact us" when I am logged on to PayPal and when I am not logged on. I tried - the numbers are same: 1-402-935-2050.
10-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest trying on a Business day, during business hours. The 72 hour max for email response may have something to do with (USA) business hours not including the 48 hours that are a weekend and non business hours.

Area code 402 is a Nebraska area code, which is 2 hours later than Eastern (New York) time.

10-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Neco Quote
If I understood you correctly (sorry, my english is poor) you suggest me to try to press "contact us" when I am logged on to PayPal and when I am not logged on. I tried - the numbers are same: 1-402-935-2050.
Yes, the idea was trying without the id sceme to get trough. Seems you have tried it both ways, though. Then again the business day & time remark seems very pertinent here.
11-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #13

Original Poster
Viva! PayPal closed the case yesterday!
Frankly speaking I expected that adorama send me the lens today. But I do not see any symptoms that they have done this.