Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2010, 04:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
If an ebay seller has great feedback, will that make them a reputable dealer?
Yes is the simple answer. That seller could still be selling counterfeits (because counterfeits are sometimes EXTREMELY hard to spot). I personally would buy a watch like that only from a retail store. Or you can do some very in-depth/detailed research and compare to the ebay watch.

10-28-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know, Pcarfan, if you don't know from watches, never mind dealers, there's a very good chance you should no more be looking online for thousand dollar+ Diamond watches than someone who has no clue about cameras should be searching on 'Pro SLR Take My Money' on Ebay.

If you have to trust someone, there's little substitute for 'In Person.'

*peeking at links.*

I suggest keeping some things simpler, too: I notice some of those Geneve ones are very formal, which usually takes a whole lifestyle and wardrobe to go with.

I suggest, if you want to make this venture worthwhile, enlist *spies.* Preferably, from among your lady-friend's friends.
10-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
You know, Pcarfan, if you don't know from watches, never mind dealers, there's a very good chance you should no more be looking online for thousand dollar+ Diamond watches than someone who has no clue about cameras should be searching on 'Pro SLR Take My Money' on Ebay.

If you have to trust someone, there's little substitute for 'In Person.'

*peeking at links.*

I suggest keeping some things simpler, too: I notice some of those Geneve ones are very formal, which usually takes a whole lifestyle and wardrobe to go with.

I suggest, if you want to make this venture worthwhile, enlist *spies.* Preferably, from among your lady-friend's friends.
As a suggestion, go look at them in a local store and see if they have a website that accepts online funds. If so, pick the one you want after you've looked at it, order it online, and go pick it up in the store. I'm sure there must be a few out there that have both brick-and-mortar and online stores.
10-30-2010, 03:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
This is very good to know, Is yours automatic (self-winding) or quartz (battery), and how long have you had it. I am wondering whether they will last a life time.
If genuine, they should. Unfortunately, counterfeits and other scams are common with fine watches, especially online.

The quartz movements would need their batteries replaced every couple of years, but should be very accurate (typically a couple of s / month). The meachnical ones should be serviced every couple of years, the best, 'chronometer' certified ones can be as accurate as a couple of seconds / day. It is about service time, when the power reserve (in the spring) gets significantly lower than the quoted figure, or, in practice if it doesn't keep going overnight when fully winded. My understanding is that in a proper service they take the movement apart, clean the parts, lube, and put it back together, so this will cost significantly more than a battery replacement. So a mechanical movement is inferior in a strictly practical sense, but many people still prefer those, even at the higher prices they typically come.

10-30-2010, 05:40 AM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Yes is the simple answer. That seller could still be selling counterfeits (because counterfeits are sometimes EXTREMELY hard to spot). I personally would buy a watch like that only from a retail store. Or you can do some very in-depth/detailed research and compare to the ebay watch.
Aye. This thread reminds me of the "memory card on eBay" threads that crop up.

And, there are plenty of people who want counterfeit gear, thanks to the semiotic shenanigans of modern marketing. Plenty of people will happily pay $500 for a knockoff of a $5000 because it looks like a $5000 item. That's where some of the feedback comes from.
02-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #21

This thread is a bit old but I wanted to clarify something about the Geneve 'brand'.

There's no such thing as 'Geneve' brand. It's just a generic name, anyone can use it. It could not be registered if a company wanted it because again is too generic, like if someone wanted to register the name 'Los Angeles' or 'New York'.

There is 'Geneva' brand, but that's not the same.
03-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Bulova was very big deal in the late 1950's!

05-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by paugie Quote
Bulova is (AFAIK) a very reputable (and old) brand back from when I was a kid. I am now 56 years old.
Your just a youngster. I'm 71 and remember my gradeschool graduation present was a Bulova.
05-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
Your just a youngster. I'm 71 and remember my gradeschool graduation present was a Bulova.
Just for the heck of it...

My Father-in-law's 1932 Elgin.
Runs fine after 80 years and I use it everyday.

Last edited by wildman; 06-06-2011 at 03:46 AM.