Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
But at least I'm fit

So, I just arrived home from close to two weeks in a hospital. I'll leave it to another thread to talk about some of the specifics of our HC system, but, in a blink of an eye, a short and not too strenuous bike ride of the type I enjoy almost daily turned into a concussion, hematoma, fractured collar bone, fractured ribs, loss of an eye (temporary, please) and bladder damage. Every day we navigate safely is a gift.

10-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Damn man, I hope a loved one showered you with 645Ds and K-5s while you were gone. Sounds like no fun. Glad you are on the mend.
10-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wow....hope you're feeling better and back on your bike soon...
10-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to hear you're well enough to post on the forum.

All the best for your recovery.

10-26-2010, 06:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Good to here that you are safe. Yikes. I once turned my bike to go up a curb and wasn't paying attention to the storm drain, the front wheel fell in and just slammed me face first into the pavement. Just a nasty scrape on my face that healed cleanly but still no fun.

Hope you are feeling better now or soon.

Did someone hit you with a car or was it some other kind of hazard?
10-26-2010, 08:56 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad it wasn't worse than it was, Gene.
Were you wearing a helmet?
10-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ow, Gene! Mend well!

It does remind me I've been meaning to find myself a helmet if I'm to be riding more: mine didn't make it with me at some point along the line, and my sweetie's doesn't fit.

10-26-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
Banned

Glad to hear you're ok! But sorry to hear about the accident. That sounds pretty bad, was a car involved?

I'm a cyclist so I get to ask the question. Hows the bike;-)

Get well soon, don't spend too much time mulling over the K-5 and new bike p0rn!!
10-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
Glad to hear you're ok! But sorry to hear about the accident. That sounds pretty bad, was a car involved?
That is always my concern. I commute by bicycle on average 3 days a week and I tell my wife that if I don't call and check in when I get to work or home before she leaves to make sure and drive the route I take to make sure some a**hole didn't hit me and drive away. Drivers can be so inconsiderate and selfish about sharing the road.
10-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Dang Gene... Good to hear you survived and I hope all the damage heals up right and proper.

Mike
10-26-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Pentaxian

from another cyclist...sorry to hear of the accident, but glad to hear you are home and on the mend. Hang in there...
10-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I'm a cyclist so I get to ask the question. Hows the bike;-)
I own a bicycle shop so I just have to ask............................ Need a new bike?
10-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Jeez, Gene. Hope you're recovering well.
10-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #14
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I own a bicycle shop so I just have to ask............................ Need a new bike?
Why yes thanks.... 29er?
10-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Glad it wasn't worse than it was, Gene.
Were you wearing a helmet?
Thanks, Jim. I was wearing a helmet on an easy bike path at about 2/3 of my usual cruising speed. I've taken some risky rides up and down the sides of mountains, but on a danger scale of 1 to 100 this was about a "3." I suppose we need some reminder sometimes about how every hour we get is a gift, because this was not on my radar of risk.

I actually have no memory of the accident itself or the injuries, but only reports from a friend who looked up and I was gone. I do not have memory until after I was moved from the ICU at the trauma unit at University Hospital. The broken ribs and clavicle are reminders now, but it is probably a good thing that I am spared the memory of whatever deflated my left lung and caused whatever injury to my u.t. that required the ER/EMT folks to install a catheter of a size that might have worked for a farm animal. That's still a big OUCH.

On the good side, everyone from the surgeons, to the nurses to the physical therapists remarked on what good physical shape I'm in, and how amazed they were at my progress getting up and around with these injuries. I won't be getting back in shape with bike rides for a while. My lovely insurer is actually going to fight the University Hospital because they have now decided that I recovered so well from a life-threatening set of injuries, that perhaps the hospital could have turned me out a couple of days earlier. Look, a really bad day at home is 10 times better than a really good day at the hospital, so I would have been all for cutting a few days off my sentence, but there were quite a few injuries that needed to stabilize. I'm going to find out how to make a donation to the hospital even if the insurer does not pay everything.

Further on the great side, I found I had friends all over. I got flowers from people I'd never expected (like some lawyers with whom I'd just had testy depositions), discovered that I really like all those healthy vegetables that they remove from hospital food, and found out that even the word "love" seems inadequate to describe my wife's care and support.