Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2010, 07:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Who is unemployed at present?

I'm curious, since I am, and I have been off since early August.
I am in pharmaceuticals (quality assurance), which is apparently the hardest hit industry behind Automotive in North America (and still bleeding).
Anyone else?

10-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'll distinguish between being unemployed (wishing one was) and not employed (wishing one wasn't). I haven't been employed for about, let's see, 25 years or so. Such is the life of an obsolete software engineer. Back before the advent of labor unions, a 'vacation' was the period between being fired from the last job and being hired for the next one. Guess I'm on permanent vacation, then.
10-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Count me in.

Three months now.
10-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I took 'early retirement' at 56yo last December, for various reasons but the main one was to try and retain some sanity. The job and the people I had enjoyed for over 30 years was turning to shit before my eyes so I jumped ship while I had a chance.

56 is too young to finish working in some respects, and once I've finished all the jobs on the house I'll have to get back into some kind of 'gainfull employment', if only to maintain the lifestyle we enjoyed when I worked. I have my pension and some redundancy that I managed to persuade my employer into giving me, but I could do with a bit of income.

However, there's one thing for sure. I will not be working for 'the man' ever again.
I am working on getting some of my pictures on sale in the many gift shops in this tourist trap we live in, my friend wants some fencing repaired on his farm, someone wants me to drive a car and take special needs kids to school in the morning. And I'll do this stuff because I have so enjoyed getting out of the bullshit that goes with working.

I guess I'm lucky. in that we wont starve, our house is paid for and we owe nobody anything. I don't give a shit if we have a new car on the drive or the latest tech toys and gadgets, what I have I'm happy with. And I'm very happy with my new found peace of mind!

If you can do without work, go for it. Work isn't all it's cracked up to be.

10-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm employed part time, but hubby, who was in the building business until a couple of years ago isn't. It's tough. Sometimes he can pick up a small remodel or something he can handle alone, but it's a struggle. Right now, there is still a surplus of new houses waiting to be sold and a lot of repos, too. I do know we could have it worse, though, so I"m not too upset over the circumstances.( At least the son, his GF and our 18 month old grandson have moved out after almost a year with us.) LOL!

Last edited by subeeds; 10-26-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: finishing thought
10-27-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote

If you can do without work, go for it. Work isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I don't think wiser words have ever been spoken:

We're all conditioned to believe that you're garbage if you don't, but if you're happier that way, case closed.
10-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, there certainly has been more time for picture taking.

Can't believe it, had an interview today!

10-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Count me in - 5 months
10-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was last year, and it wasn't easy. I can just feel for you guys. depression can really get into you and could create more personal stress and problems. right now we are saving little by little in case those rainy days might hit us again. atleast something that would cover us for 7-8 months. for what it' worth, I won't allow myself to be unemployed for more than 2 months. having 2 jobs gives you a bit of a security buffer rather than have to withdraw your savings to support your family.

right now, there is are some reports that unemployment is on the rise and many are looking for jobs. I'm not sure if it's the lack of jobs but rather the type of jobs that a person is willing to take. personally, I would take any job that I know rather than end up on the streets.

but anyways, I'm very thankful to GOD that he has been very good to us. Thank You !
10-31-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I haven't been Formally employed in close to 10 years. It happens. You take your knocks, get back up, brush off the dust, and do something else. By Formally employed I mean going to the same place or company every day, and collecting a paycheck with benefits every 2 weeks. I'm doing far better now than I would have been if I had been allowed to keep my job, then, as an Engineer. It all had something to do with SUVs rolling over and a severed relationship between an auto manufacturer and a tire manufacturer. The cost of those law suits led to huge cuts in white collar personnel. The events of that era at that company are the reason I think Jacques Nasser ought to be stabbed in the throat with a pitchfork.

I gave them a huge

moon

on my way out and haven't looked back since.

11-01-2010, 04:20 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'll be unemployed by March next year. That's how it goes in the construction industry. For now I'm saving a few dollars, grabbing some neat photographic toys and keeping out of debt.
11-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aye to all. I feel bad writing this now.
I've signed on for at least part time work as a consultant! So getting out of bed tomorrow to go to something new. Will be a little strange, but looks interesting.

+1 for saving your pennies and staying out of debt if you can.
+100 for not working unless you really want to, and enjoy it!

I'd certainly say that the work environment does seem to have changed a lot, and seems to be changing more quickly here as the year goes on. Another one of those shifts, I guess.
11-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Aye to all. I feel bad writing this now.
I've signed on for at least part time work as a consultant! So getting out of bed tomorrow to go to something new. Will be a little strange, but looks interesting.

+1 for saving your pennies and staying out of debt if you can.
+100 for not working unless you really want to, and enjoy it!

I'd certainly say that the work environment does seem to have changed a lot, and seems to be changing more quickly here as the year goes on. Another one of those shifts, I guess.
it's pretty tough getting old. although the younger ones are having a hard time themselves. if there was one criticism I would like to mention is that the younger generation are pretty much spoon-fed and made to believe that it's easy to get a job.
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fully retired effective 7/1/10 and finding it a bit disorienting--miss the casual social contact, actually.
11-02-2010, 09:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

As of today, I am officially in recovery from ten years of self-employment.