Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Went to NYC yesterday . . .

. . . to a little trade show called PDN PhotoPlus Expo. I ran into this guy. You really can't help but like him. He's super super nice.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
10-29-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool deal meeting Ned Mel... did he give you any SWAG?

Mike
10-29-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, no swag. But I DID get to pet the 645D. And take some shots with it as well. With my own card so I could even take the shots home and keep them. Better than swag IMO. However, they would NOT let me take it outside and wander around NYC with it. I don't know why
10-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmmmm I wonder why they wouldn't let yo do that... LOL

10-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #5

I also spoke to Ned Bunnell today. There are some things that just really strike me about being a Pentax owner:

1) You can walk right up to the US President of your product company and speak to him about the new model (the K-5). While the body is almost identical to the K-7, he spoke about how they read the feedback from user forums and added little details like a slightly taller mode dial. He also spoke about the some of the technical changes beyond the sensor.

2) Their product managers are right there as well. I tried a couple of limited lenses on my own K-5 (the DA Limited 15mm and the new DA 35mm, both of which I decided to buy). The new DA 18-135mm is very compelling as a travel lens as well. Very light and compact.

3) I tried to test the indoor focus capabilities and note any differences between the K-5 and K-7 but I could not since both were focusing very fast at whatever I pointed at.

4) The booth was small and boutique-y but well attended during the time I was there.

5) Consider that other manufacturers staff their booths with temp workers, x-sports types, models (including nude), and sales people...

6) My only complaint. Pentax should strongly consider replacing the sign with non-reflective material. It's up high and is very prominent but as you can see from the picture below, it washes out in pictures (not caused by flash)!!!

If you live in the NYC area, I recommend that you go! (I got a free expo pass courtesy of Unique Photo. Below is the link.)

https://www.xpressreg.net/register/PHOT100/landing.asp?h=&sc=UNIQUEP&co=
Attached Images

11-02-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Special thanks to Sony for setting up the half-pipe right next door - proved to be a great way to test the K-5's AF!

And I spell it "schwag" instead of "swag". In my world, SWAG stands for Scientific Wild Ass Guess.
11-04-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Did you tell him how Pentax should make SMC-coated shot glasses as swag (schwag)?

So that when you poor whiskey in them and sit them on the counter, it looks like a cone of whiskey's just hovering there.

11-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Special thanks to Sony for setting up the half-pipe right next door - proved to be a great way to test the K-5's AF!

And I spell it "schwag" instead of "swag". In my world, SWAG stands for Scientific Wild Ass Guess.
In a previous career (USAF C4I, flyin' computers ) we used to call that "Onageristic Estimation" after too many people objected to getting SWAGs as project timelines...

Jim (google 'onager' if it's not something you already know)