Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Artesian Quote
I guess you consider your subjectivity more rational? Laughable.
Which subjectivity is that?

11-05-2010, 05:51 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
The old rules of politics no longer apply.

You can win every debate, as Feingold did.

You can get practically every newspaper endorsement in the state, as Feingold did, including some very conservative ones.

You can be a loyal and dutiful servant of your constituents, coming home every weekend and visiting every county every year, as Feingold did.

And you can still lose.

One reason is money, and the hideous Supreme Court decision in the Citizens United case, which opened the floodgates.
QuoteQuote:
Friends,

Thank you. Thank you for your support over the years. Representing Wisconsin in the Senate has been the greatest honor of my life and together we accomplished many great things. No one has ever had such a strong foundation of support as I have. You gave me my backbone.

In the words of Bob Dylan: "But my heart is not weary. It's light and free. I've got nothing but affection for those who have sailed with me."

Forward!

Thank you,

Russ

Last edited by jeffkrol; 11-05-2010 at 06:23 PM.
11-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #33
Todd K.

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
The trend of human society is progressive. There's no escaping that. We move from ignorance to enlightenment, however terribly slowly. Homophobia is just one more ignorance we'll have to move away from.
Sadly you and your kind only want to move us from light into darkness. You would return us to hedonistic ways of failed past cultures. You are not progressive you are regressive.
11-08-2010, 11:35 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Todd K. Quote
Sadly you and your kind only want to move us from light into darkness. You would return us to hedonistic ways of failed past cultures. You are not progressive you are regressive.
lol, alright.

Since "my kind" are typically the college or post-grad educated, well-informed, and rational kind, I think I'll stick with the belief that the religious, traditionalist, backward-thinking kind are in the wrong here. You simply aren't worth my time.

edit: and while this thread has been bumped up, I'd like to go back to Artesian's post and point out that even if his argument that homosexuals have drastically shorter lifespans is true (I don't believe it is, in any meaningful way), it's not a factor that should preclude them from being married. Setting aside the propriety of such a comparison for a second, should cancer patients or hey, even straight dudes with AIDS, be refused the right to marry the people they love?

11-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, stagnation is always the best course, isn't it?

<Note to self - Agreeing with deadwolfbones too often lately. Stop reading his posts.>

11-09-2010, 07:46 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
<Note to self - Agreeing with deadwolfbones too often lately. Stop reading his posts.>
There, there... you're just moving from ignorance to enlightenment... it's completely normal.
11-09-2010, 09:19 AM   #37
Todd K.

lol, alright.

Since "my kind" are typically the college or post-grad educated, well-informed, and rational kind,
Typical arrogant elitist statement. Care to support it with facts?

11-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Just curious, Todd; what brings you back to P&R after being gone nearly 3 months?
Only three posts here since August, and two of them unprovoked insults to another forum member.
NO
11-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #39
Todd K.

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Just curious, Todd; what brings you back to P&R after being gone nearly 3 months?
Only three posts here since August, and two of them unprovoked insults to another forum member.
:NO:
What insults are you referring to?
11-09-2010, 09:50 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Typical arrogant elitist statement. Care to support it with facts?
Surprised you'd dispute this, but ok...

Here's one source: Support for Same-Sex Marriage by Age and State Sociological Images

This source handily points out the "progressive" nature of acceptance of homosexuality; younger people have vastly more support for gay marriage than older people, so much so that younger people in the least accepting state (Alabama) have more support for it than older people in the most accepting state (Massachusetts).

It also emphasizes the regional nature of support or opposition to gay marriage; the south/southeast, rural midwest (with some exceptions), and explicitly religious outliers like Utah most vehemently oppose it. These are predominately rural, religious, and poor areas. No surprise there. You could draw some correlations between these areas (particularly the south/southeast) and their national educational rankings, but perhaps that'd be going too far on secondary assumptions. (A little more discussion of this study can be found here.)

So here's another study: UF study finds education level five times more important than race in support for state's gay marriage ban | Gainesville.com

In this study, it's clear that counties with more college graduates have lower support for an amendment outlawing gay marriage.

But let's not stop there. Here's another study by the Pew Research Center: Support For Same-Sex Marriage Edges Upward - Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life

As you can see in the chart labeled "Whites Now Evenly Divided Over Gay Marriage," college graduates support gay marriage by almost 20% more than those with a high school education or less. To quote the writeup, "A majority (52%) of college graduates favor allowing gays and lesbians to marry legally. Support is much lower among those without a college degree – 46% with some college education and 34% with a high school education or less support same-sex marriage."

Let me know if you want more.
11-09-2010, 09:57 AM - 1 Like   #41
Veteran Member

lol, alright.

Since "my kind" are typically the college or post-grad educated, well-informed, and rational kind, I think I'll stick with the belief that the religious, traditionalist, backward-thinking kind are in the wrong here. You simply aren't worth my time.

edit: and while this thread has been bumped up, I'd like to go back to Artesian's post and point out that even if his argument that homosexuals have drastically shorter lifespans is true (I don't believe it is, in any meaningful way), it's not a factor that should preclude them from being married. Setting aside the propriety of such a comparison for a second, should cancer patients or hey, even straight dudes with AIDS, be refused the right to marry the people they love?
Typically LIBERAL college grads, would be a more correct term.
And for clarification it's mostly the teachings of the college that are liberal not that all grads are liberal. However after years of this liberal brainwashing it is possible to ponder how a conservative could still come through with his/her/its conservative beliefs still intact.

BTW I know many, many conservatives that are level headed, smart, educated, religious, traditional and well informed. Conversely I also know liberals who are pretty doggone stupid and don't know which end of the shotgun to aim at prey.
11-09-2010, 10:05 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
Typically LIBERAL college grads, would be a more correct term.
And for clarification it's mostly the teachings of the college that are liberal not that all grads are liberal. However after years of this liberal brainwashing it is possible to ponder how a conservative could still come through with his/her/its conservative beliefs still intact.

BTW I know many, many conservatives that are level headed, smart, educated, religious, traditional and well informed. Conversely I also know liberals who are pretty doggone stupid and don't know which end of the shotgun to aim at prey.
Typically college grads in general. See the above post.

And sure, there are plenty of rational, level-headed, and educated conservatives. Many of them support gay marriage.

edit: more ammo: http://chronicle.com/article/College-Freshmen-Approve-of/64685/

QuoteQuote:
Twenty-four percent of the most conservative college students say that same-sex couples should have the right to legal marital status, according to the institute's most recent survey of freshmen, conducted last summer and fall. In the nation at large, 14 percent of conservative Republicans support gay marriage, according to a survey conducted last year by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life and the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press.
11-09-2010, 10:49 AM   #43
Todd K.

Typically college grads in general. See the above post.

And sure, there are plenty of rational, level-headed, and educated conservatives. Many of them support gay marriage.

edit: more ammo: College Freshmen Approve of Gay Marriage More Strongly Than Do All Americans - Students - The Chronicle of Higher Education
Quote from the Pew Study:

Overall, Americans with college degrees are divided almost evenly over the issue of gay marriage (49% oppose, 44% favor)

So your statement about college graduates is inaccurate.

It's true that young people are more accepting, but that is a result the media white washing the gay lifestyle, school brainwashing, and liberal, and backward thinking collage professors.

I wonder how the attitudes of the young will change as they age.
11-09-2010, 11:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

backward thinking collage professors.
And we all know collage is a gateway craft to... macrame
11-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Quote from the Pew Study:

Overall, Americans with college degrees are divided almost evenly over the issue of gay marriage (49% oppose, 44% favor)

So your statement about college graduates is inaccurate.
No, my statement was that college graduates are more accepting than less educated people, and the study bears that out. It's funny that you'd cherry pick that nugget from a section titled "Education a Key Among Older Americans" to try to mischaracterize my argument. That section goes on to say that:

QuoteQuote:
[T]hose without [college degrees] oppose the idea by well over two-to-one (63% to 27%). Education is a particularly important factor among older generations.

College graduates age 65 and older are more than three times as likely to favor gay marriage than are seniors with less education (33% to 9%). Among those age 50-64, college grads are twice as likely to favor gay marriage as their less educated counterparts (43% to 21%). By comparison, education makes relatively little difference among those under age 30, where support for gay marriage runs highest. Since younger generations are more likely to have college degrees than older, this education gap contributes to the overall size of the generation gap on gay marriage.
It's true that young people are more accepting, but that is a result the media white washing the gay lifestyle, school brainwashing, and liberal, and backward thinking collage professors.

I wonder how the attitudes of the young will change as they age.
Ah yes, the universal explanation for why people might disagree with you when you have no rational argument of your own: "brainwashing."

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7W7RuQrbR0[/yt]

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 11-09-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Closed Thread