Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My choice of media player is the Portable Discman.

after a slew of mp3/mp4 devices...have decided that the discman is my media player of choice.

1. runs on AA/AAA.

2. No menu interface to dig through.

3. Actual CD quality.

4. No volume restrictions.

5. reads CDR of home-brew albums.

6. still works after 5 years.

7. can go wherever i go.

11-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh they skip so easily, though. Battery usage is to be expected though. Spinning that disc at something like 90 rpm.

About two weeks ago, Sony announced they had finally ceased production of The Walkman. Yeah. I did not even think they still produced the thing but I have not used my Discman in about eight years either.

I cannot argue some of your other points. But you are limited by less than 40 minutes of music at any given interval. I know what you mean though being one who still often does not mind getting up after 18 minutes of music to change over to side two with my turntable. But access to hundreds of songs on a tiny other thing is nice when moving alone in big circles.
11-08-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Really like my Zune HD, to be honest.
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wait a minute. You are suggesting that you have at least owned some mp3 devices and still prefer a Discman?

Well, I guess... I even have a silly, one gig clip on Colby mp3 player that I would prefer to a Discman. To say nothing of my RCA 8gb or iTouch. Heck I even have an mp3 FM modulator that... No. It really has poor sound quality so the Discman probably wins that battle. How about using a cassette tape adapter in your Walkman to plug into the jack of an mp3 device? That would be like drinking wine from a Dixie Cup.

11-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Wait a minute. You are suggesting that you have at least owned some mp3 devices and still prefer a Discman?

Well, I guess... I even have a silly, one gig clip on Colby mp3 player that I would prefer to a Discman. To say nothing of my RCA 8gb or iTouch. Heck I even have an mp3 FM modulator that... No. It really has poor sound quality so the Discman probably wins that battle. How about using a cassette tape adapter in your Walkman to plug into the jack of an mp3 device? That would be like drinking wine from a Dixie Cup.
Thats right. as crazy as it sounds...

Well...after going for quantity of songs, i do find going for quality of songs to be quite refreshing.

Anyway, being an onsite photographer waiting for things to happen. Doesnt hurt to have something that runs on batteries and yet sound good when plugged to portable speakers. Simpler as well.
11-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
Banned

My 64GB iPod Touch has thousands of songs and videos on it and also can scan barcodes and show the lowest price.
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeVAjrrTgHg[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-15JrsOApRw[/YT]
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4_Xy0ESChY[/YT]
11-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yeah! Bet your Discman can't scan bar codes and find the best prices for a professional dslr on The Internet!

11-08-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
Yeah! Bet your Discman can't scan bar codes and find the best prices for a professional dslr on The Internet!
no it cant...dont need it to scan bar codes or find prices. Just play CDs as best as it can.
11-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I own several MP3 players. I have gripes with each one of them.
A portable CD player sounds better and is far simpler to operate.

Chris
11-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I suppose the audio quality of an mp3 player depends quite a bit on the bit rate used, some even support lossless formats. One problem with these is that because running on a minuscule battery they cannot drive proper headphones. The in-ear mini-earphones such as Sennheiser cx-300 and are surprisingly good though (not lacking bass like the 'open' ones).
11-09-2010, 09:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using higher bitrates or lossless formats greatly diminish the increased capacity advantage of MP3 players.
MP3 player volume is restricted by law. Separate headphone amplifiers are readily available but a PITA to use.
I own the Sennheisers. They do have better bass but don't help the anemic audio output of MP3 players.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 11-09-2010 at 09:17 AM.
11-10-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I gave my MP3 player away, it sounded like spanners in a dustbin, or trascan if you prefer.

And I searched the house until I found my old Sony MiniDisc player. What difference in sound! And it doesn't skip, I have a lead that plugs the player into my car stereo, the battery lasts for days and it sounds terrific.

Did I mention it sounds better than the compressed rubbish of MP3 ?
11-10-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Headphones reveal all the shortcomings of my MP3 audio players.
OTOH the same players sound quite good plugged into decent amplified speakers...

Chris
11-10-2010, 10:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

There's no perceptible difference between MP3 at 320kbps VBR and CD, while still being able to cram a lot more music per GB. The default CD bitrate is 1400kbps, but primarly because of physical reasons (reading speed, disc size and laser wavelength), not quality.

And if you absolutely, positively want to get anal about quality, get a FLAAC-capable player.

There are legitimate excuses to be nostalgic - like enjoying it -, but complaining about audio quality is not a good one in this case.
11-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's a lot of work and expense to get an MP3 player to sound good.
The CD player sounds good right out of the box - just press "play".

Chris