Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
missile, missile, who launched the missile

Very odd..........
Mystery 'missile' launch near L.A. no threat to national security, government officials say [Updated] | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyEvk-VTuEI&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

11-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They would say that wouldn't they? Not likely they'd admit it was something to worry about...
11-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't need to worry about that just like we didn't need to worry about the fact the AF lost contact with the nuclear arsenal last weekend. LOL!
11-09-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Obviously those military-industrial complex queens have grown dependent on the government teat. We need to give them a dose of private enterprise & welfare cut to shake them out of complacency and take responsibility. I say cut the Pentagon budget and make these people work for a living, for a change. And install some competency testing: where did you put the nuke? And what exactly does THIS button do?

11-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Has anyone checked with Something Awful to see if the Copenhagen Suborbitals had anything to do with this?
11-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The Russians are coming, ive been a spy all along.
11-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
billion dollar military and they were clueless??? WHAT are we paying for
QuoteQuote:
Pike said he didn't understand why the military had not recognized the contrail of an aircraft. "The Air Force must ... understand how contrails are formed," he said. "Why they can't get some major out to belabor the obvious, I don't know.
Read more: Pentagon can't explain 'missile' off California

11-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
billion dollar military and they were clueless??? WHAT are we paying for

Read more: Pentagon can't explain 'missile' off California
What do you mean "what are we paying for?" We have the best politicians money can buy.
I wouldn't bet a nickel that the the military doesn't know who launched that missile.
11-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Consider the possibility that this is a political missile launch by your military, but not to show Asia what you can do, but to scare the crap out of the American people as an attempt to consolidate even more power through fear.
11-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Consider the possibility that this is a political missile launch by your military, but not to show Asia what you can do, but to scare the crap out of the American people as an attempt to consolidate even more power through fear.
This has been one crappy day for me. I have agreed with two or three of deadwolfbones' posts, and now one of yours!
Seriously, I can't discount that possibility. I've never thought of myself as a member of the aluminum foil beanie Brigade, but I'm not quite sure what to believe anymore.
11-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry Jim.
11-10-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
Inactive Account

The contrail seemed to have a bright light at the base and the tracectory seemed to be correct for a rising missle if the film was really from this incident. The area, 35 miles north approximatly of Catalina and offshore would be roughly around Santa Barbara Island, a domed mountain top with one Nat Park ranger living on it usually. It is not a closed area to fishermen. Nearby is Santa Cruz Island and the Navy has facilities there and is associated with Pt Mugu. Years ago they did the tube launch testing for the Polaris missle there in a bight on the outside of the island. The area was periodically open and closed during testing as it was close inshore. Santa Cruz Island is a popular fisherman and sailors destination.

A storm front just passed through so the atmosphere was unusually crisp and clear especialy with the sun setting in the west. I have seen a good number of missle launches from Vandenerg while in a boat at Santa Criz Is. as well as from my house. The two stage separation at sunset is unvelievable with the venting of the spent 1st stage making gigantic ice rings rapidly in the vacumn of space.

The area is also well known for long lasting spectacular jet contrails at sunset from north-south bound aircraft. Many mistake these for missle shots.

Some years ago I recovered for the Navy a red small jet powered target drone about 10 miles outside of Santa Cruz and Anacapa Island and snagged a $500 reward for the recovery. We were Mako fishing in the area.

I did not see this deal but I would guess it was a real sub launch if the press stuff is real. The solid rocket sub ICBMs don't do 2nd stages shortly after launch.

USSR spy ships used to park in the San Nicolas Is. area frequently years ago.
11-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Someone asked George W Bush about it.

His response: Buy my book to find out.
11-10-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Veteran Member

It was China showing how close they really are.
11-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The really scary part of this is what if the military is telling the truth and they truly don't know?