Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thom Hogan weighs in

An excerpt:

"
DxO HysteriaNov 7 (commentary)--Now that DxOmark has "rated" the Pentax K-5 and Nikon D7000, the nutty interpretations and spirited discussions have begun in earnest. But let me introduce a completely different idea: I don't care what DxO's number is. It's meaningless to me, and probably should be meaningless to you."

You can read the rest of his little jerk off here:
http://www.bythom.com/

Hey Thom, rather than displaying your incredible fanboy ignorance, why don't you just admit that you don't know what the hell you are talking about and admit that the competition made a better product this time around than your precious Nikon.
Oh, and have they gotten the hot pixels fixed on the D7000 yet?

Last edited by Wheatfield; 11-12-2010 at 11:47 PM.
11-10-2010, 11:54 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
His argument is kind of like what I've heard some say about statistics. To the tune of around
QuoteQuote:
statistics are useless because anyone can mold them to whatever they want the statistics to look like
yeah...missing the point entirely.

DXo shows how they score different cameras, so i'm not really sure what the point is.

Cameras are like guns. You can have a very accurate gun but a terrible shooter and vice versa. The DXo numbers care about the accuracy of the gun, and how big the bullet is.
11-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just to show what a Dork with a capital D Mr. Hogan appears to be, here is a quote from his archive (Oct 9th 2010):

"On the flip side, no one's come close to matching Nikon on #1 lately. You see it in the DxO Mark sensor score ratings, for instance. Take out the PhaseOne medium format backs and the top four cameras are: D3x, D3s, D3, D700. Drop down to APS/DX sensors and the top two cameras are the D90 and D5000 (with the D300s in fourth). Based upon what I've seen so far with the D3100, it's going to top that list, and we all have high hopes for the D7000, as well."

Yup Thom, you love DXO when they agree with your world view, and dismiss them as not relevant when they don't.
Amazing what a month will do to a person's thinking process.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 11-12-2010 at 11:47 PM.
11-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know who he is or why anyone cares what he thinks about Anything. From what you've posted in this thread however, his thinking hasn't changed. He just didn't like the answer he got to the question. For the record, I don't care what Dxo says either. When I've ever actually cared what anyone thought, I've always looked to the user reviews. Especially those who are willing to back up what they say with photo proof.

11-10-2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here's a good reason to shoot Nikon:

"I regularly shoot with cameras that have numbers ranging from a low of 47 to a high of 88 on the DxOmark scale. Do I care? Not really. Are my photos with the camera that scores a 47 terrible and my photos with the camera that scores an 88 great? No, it doesn't work that way. Not even close."
11-11-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Who is this clown Thom Hogan never heard of him
11-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

*wondering what the fuss is about.* So, measurebatey site rates K-5 higher than the Nikon competition, and, one might infer, there's panic in the streets among Nikon fanboys?

Could be a useful bullet point feature.

Inspires Panic In Nikon Snobs?
11-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

RH and TH differs by only one letter but belong to the same category... self-promoted idi**

11-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Inspires Panic In Nikon Snobs.......
Pentax should use that as tag line on every print ad they put out!
11-13-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
RH and TH differs by only one letter but belong to the same category... self-promoted idi**
Thom Hogan and Rice High are two very different beasts.

Thom, IMHO, actually uses cameras to take photos, Rice on the other hand, has only taken one photo in his life, that was not a resolution test.

Rice's photo was of a pink flower and a bumble bee.

Thom does have his opinions. We all do. He is VERY pro Nikon. But his site does have usefull information, he has written user guides, and has done plenty of lens and camera reviews. As with everything on the internet, don't use his site as your sole sorce of information. He may or may not be clueless about Pentax, it is hard to say, as he only writes about Nikon. It should also be noted that he writes about photography topics as well.

I did find it funny that his opinion of DX0mark has changed since Nikon is no longer top APS-C dog. Too funny.
11-13-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Sorry, I'm not going to give him a page view. Having at least a little objectivity would be a good idea for him to think about.
11-13-2010, 12:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Thom Hogan or Hulk Hogan.. Who cares what he thinks?

Repeating my post from another thread below:

....and that's why I get my reviews, suggestions, and advice from this site. I shoot Pentax, and have invested into Pentax glass. I will continue doing so as long as Pentax keeps producing both cameras and lenses. I have no interest in the competition or comparisons with the competition at all. I only care about what Pentax has to offer. So, I only believe user tested reviews from here and other Pentax users.
11-22-2010, 06:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

thom hogan, ken rockwell, and of course chuck norris (perhaps steven segal). brothers. very much alike in the sense they are funny if you see them once or maybe twice.
11-22-2010, 06:51 AM   #14
Pentaxian

speaking of Ken Rockwell came across this today and choked on my coffee

Camera buying advice from a professional photographer
11-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
speaking of Ken Rockwell came across this today and choked on my coffee

Camera buying advice from a professional photographer
Great link!