Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 05:27 PM   #31
Veteran Member

So I guess DPR links are blocked even in private messages?

11-16-2010, 12:32 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
So I guess DPR links are blocked even in private messages?
Hey! No smuggling links!
11-16-2010, 07:19 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Hey! No smuggling links!
I didn't even think about it at the time... I was just trying to PM a link to a friend of mine and noticed in the "preview message" window that the link was blocked and replaced with "****". It actually never occured to me that links to DPR would also be blocked in private messages, but I suppose the code must be written such that it acts the same way for both public and private posts.
11-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
For some strange reason, FPZ isn't very happy with us. :confused2:
Look at some of the FPZ members and you might see why. At least 3 or 4 of them left PF with less than happy rememberances. If I remember correctly, a couple of them posted protracted "I'm leaving PF" messages. I personally don't have a problem with anyone leaving any forum for any reason. My feelings are, if you don't like the forum, then simply move on to one you do like.

11-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #35
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
........If I remember correctly, a couple of them posted protracted "I'm leaving PF" messages. .............
You remember it correctly. It was those threads that led to the addition to the GT rules that says:
""Goodbye, farewell, I'm leaving forever" posts are allowed; however, inflammatory comments in the post or replies that are overly critical of the forum or forum members or clearly intended to stir debate or elicit like comments will be removed at the discretion of the moderators in an effort to maintain a friendly environment.".

The other thread on this topic DPR/FPZ that is was closed Sunday evening shows fewer posts than were actually made in the thread.
11-19-2010, 06:16 AM   #36
Forum Member

I just had occasion to make a link to a post here from a thread at dpreview. I had no trouble doing this using a URL shortening service. DPreview blocks links to pentaxforums.com and tinyurl.com, but there are other (better) URL shortening services that are not blocked. I won't mention them here because I know all the dpreview administrators troll the pentax forums... (j/k)

- Phil
11-19-2010, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #37
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Will do. And they should have a small bit of fear in them at this point- we've beaten them in terms of forum quality and features.
Who the hell does the whole email-inbox-style forum in 2010? Not to mention DRP's poor use of real estate - great, it's easy to read on a smartphone. You're cutting edge, DPR. I'm sure the 99% of readers using full-size computers are grateful.

My idea is not to block DPR links. That's dropping down to their level.

My idea is to have a small message automatically added at the end of every DPR link: "Please note that DPR has seen fit to block all links to PentaxForums.com in their forums. We're not that petty and spiteful."

11-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #38

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
My idea is to have a small message automatically added at the end of every DPR link: "Please note that DPR has seen fit to block all links to PentaxForums.com in their forums. We're not that petty and spiteful."
lol i think something like this would be great!
11-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #39

I had a thought sort of akin to lithos' idea, except that I think disabling links is perfectly fine.

The only issue is that to new users of the forum who don't know why it's being blocked, it can seem petty and spiteful if they don't know why dpreview is blocked. If you change the censor to replace the dpreview url's with a link to the explanation of why the links are blocked instead of just the row of asterisks, that would solve the problem before it ever becomes one.
11-22-2010, 07:46 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Does anyone know if dpr has unblocked us? There seems to be an awful lot of inbout traffic from them.
11-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Apparently not..

Attached Images

11-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #42
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Apparently not..

Damn- too bad
11-22-2010, 10:20 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I think this whole retaliation thing has gotten their attention. Yesterday I read an intro post here from someone that came from DPR. They said they didn't even know about PF and had been using DPR until someone told them about PF over there.
11-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #44

Actually, we just keep dropping PentaxForums name!

It might even be better than having links - folks look upon PentaxForums as a special place (secret and banned!) that is only revealed to the truly privileged! Once you have the name, it's pretty easy to find your way here.

Mike
11-23-2010, 06:44 PM   #45

Photos: Albums
Does this have anything to do with the forum crash we've just experienced? Some sort of site attack by dpreview?