Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-11-2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DPreview and our links?

Does anyone know if DPR still blocks PF links? If so, it might be time for war!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, they are still blocked (I just tried and confirmed it).

Last edited by dgaies; 11-11-2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo
11-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good luck with that.
DPReview will block any profitable site or organization URL's without mercy unless they are registered affiliates with them.
And even at that... I've seen many blogs(bloggers) get blocked as well.
And I've yet to see a reversal on any of them.
11-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Bout time... I say put the war paint on.

11-11-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Well, they're getting tens of thousands of outbounds per month- our members find their forum useful at times, and the reverse is true as well. Would only be fair if they could return the favor.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, they're getting tens of thousands of outbounds per month- our members find their forum useful at times, and the reverse is true as well. Would only be fair if they could return the favor.
That could work if they were into favors.
But I fear they are nowhere near that level of behavior.

DPReview(like all companies) is here to win.
And they will gag or suppress any/or potential threat in the process.
From what I can see, paranoia runs deep at this level of the game. And the word 'suspect' is more than enough to initiate the block.

But I'd be very happy to see if/when they lift the url block.
Do keep us posted on the dialog and progress that comes from this.
11-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Will do. And they should have a small bit of fear in them at this point- we've beaten them in terms of forum quality and features. Now, if our plans of producing higher-quality homepage content succeed, they might be out of business even in that aspect.

The advantages of a passion-based website are endless compared to those of a revenue-driven site. Sure, PF has an immense monetization potential, but my philosophy is to keep that crap to a minimum and continue our mission of creating the ultimate Pentax Internet resource

Adam

11-11-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Will do. And they should have a small bit of fear in them at this point- we've beaten them in terms of forum quality and features.
I doubt you'll have any issues maintaining the lead with respect to Pentax. I only say this because of the overall potential that dedicated services provide in contrast to the broader multi-purposed ones(that's just how it is I guess).

Though lets not loose site of the fact that the heart of DPReview will most likely remain Canon bound. Well... at least for as long as Phil Askey's hand remains in the pot(so to speak).

But that's a whole other topic now isn't it.

PS. could you reconsider my biased thread location. I've updated it to better reflect the heart of the issue or purpose of the post.
11-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I doubt you'll have any issues maintaining the lead with respect to Pentax. I only say this because of the overall potential that dedicated services provide in contrast to the broader multi-purposed ones(that's just how it is I guess).

Though lets not loose site of the fact that the heart of DPReview will most likely remain Canon bound. Well... at least for as long as Phil Askey's hand remains in the pot(so to speak).

But that's a whole other topic now isn't it.

PS. could you reconsider my biased thread location. I've updated it to better reflect the heart of the issue or purpose of the post.
Sure- PM me about that and I'll take a look!

Adam

11-11-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Adam, I can say I blame them for blocking PF out - the forum layout there is atrocious and the content is mostly comical in nature (ok, everyone likes a train-wreck once in awhile!). But for any real or useful info I think we have Pentax discussion cornered here.
11-11-2010, 11:21 PM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Make it happen Adam. Dpreview is just unnecessarily obstructive and it makes little sense for fora to exhibit such limitations.

No mercy.
11-11-2010, 11:43 PM   #12

dpreview forum is useless and is soooo outdated! We have it on them in every department.

You do a great job Adam.
11-12-2010, 03:05 AM   #13
Pentaxian

It would annoy me very much if links to dpreview were blocked. It may also annoy quite a few others. If this is what "war" would mean I request you refrain. while dpreview may be biased and generally useless, it still does have some uses.
11-12-2010, 01:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Dpreview blocked the E-P1.net URLs a long time ago too.
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If they don't want to be friends with us, then we don't want to be friends with them. I say block them back.