Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #31
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
In case you're wondering (or wandering for that matter) here are the 10 best:

10 best states for retirement:

1. New Hampshire. It's a safe and cheap place to live. Its cost of living is 89% of the national average and the average state and local tax burden is 7.6%, putting it among the lowest in the U.S. in both categories. The state ranks 48th in the nation in violent crime and in property crime. The only criteria it didn't score well in was climate.
2. Hawaii. Best climate and highest life expectancy, at 80 years, although the temperature probably isn't too far off that number. Hawaii has the highest cost of living in the country.
3. South Dakota. Low cost of living and tax burden.
4. North Dakota. Low temperatures and crime somehow lead to a high life expectancy.
5. Iowa. Low cost of living.
6. Virginia: Mild temperatures and low crime.
7. Utah. Low violent crime rate and high life expectancy.
8. Connecticut. Low crime and close to major metro areas Boston and New York.
9. Vermont. Low crime and high life expectancy.
10. Idaho. Low crime and cost of living.

Best, worst states to retire
Ask ten people and you will get ten different lists. In all my years I have yet to hear anyone say they want to retire in North or South Dakota. They must use a dart board to come up with that list.

11-17-2010, 07:15 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

As long as there are early bird specials and New York Jews, Florida will continue to be their preferred destination.

And heat and lightning are non-issues too, because they only leave the house for those early bird specials.
Ira, I just have to ask a question, and I really hope the answer is no. You don't wear casual slacks, 2 sizes too big, with a white belt and pulled up to just below your armpits, do you?
11-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Ask ten people and you will get ten different lists. In all my years I have yet to hear anyone say they want to retire in North or South Dakota. They must use a dart board to come up with that list.
I'd retire to South Dakota before Iowa. There is some breathtaking scenery in South Dakota. Not only is it beautiful, if you want to gamble away your retirement, there is always Deadwood.

I agree about the dart board. Another factor that does not seem to be considered is that a retirement area needs to have enough urban nature to provide transportation and entertainment that appeal to older, less mobile persons. Half the activities that make New Mexico attractive to me may not work for me if I am fortunate enough to live past 85 (very common in Fl). Transportation from other states needs to be easy or the kids will never visit. Medical and long term care facilities should be plentiful and well developed. None of these things seem to factor into that article to the extent they factor into the decision by most elderly retirees.
11-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
.............. In all my years I have yet to hear anyone say they want to retire in North or South Dakota. ..........
Yet, strangely, we have an awful lot of retired people here.

11-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Yet, strangely, we have an awful lot of retired people here.
Jim, you don't have an awful ot of people there--retired or not.
11-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #36
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

We have almost as many in the state as you have in Albuquerque.

City of Albuquerque: 869,684 as of June 2010, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

State of South Dakota: 812,383 as of June 2009, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
11-17-2010, 11:53 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City of Albuquerque: 869,684 as of June 2010, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

State of South Dakota: 812,383 as of June 2009, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
We don't have an awful lot of people in New Mexico, either.

11-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
We don't have an awful lot of people in New Mexico, either.
Maybe not, but NM is in my top 3 places that I want to retire.
11-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Maybe not, but NM is in my top 3 places that I want to retire.
You are more than welcome here. Just watch out on the bike trails.

Last edited by GeneV; 11-17-2010 at 12:54 PM.
11-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Excuse my ignorance, but since Pierre has only 13K people, where are the most populous areas of SD? I have never been in either of the Dakotas, but that will change next spring (I hope) as my wife and I plan to drive from VA to WA to see our grandson.
11-18-2010, 10:03 AM   #41
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Excuse my ignorance, but since Pierre has only 13K people, where are the most populous areas of SD? I have never been in either of the Dakotas, but that will change next spring (I hope) as my wife and I plan to drive from VA to WA to see our grandson.
Sioux Falls, in the SW part of the state is the most populous. Rapid City, on the western end is next by "city" population, but I think factoring in the surrounding area it may have a greater population than Sioux Falls and its surrounding area. Aberdeen in the North East is third. (Technically, Ellsworth AFB, near Rapid City is third and Aberdeen is 4th). I don't have exact figures, but those 4 account for probably 80+% of the state's population.
11-18-2010, 03:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

Sioux Falls, in the SW part of the state is the most populous. Rapid City, on the western end is next by "city" population, but I think factoring in the surrounding area it may have a greater population than Sioux Falls and its surrounding area. Aberdeen in the North East is third. (Technically, Ellsworth AFB, near Rapid City is third and Aberdeen is 4th). I don't have exact figures, but those 4 account for probably 80+% of the state's population.
My old girlfriend was from the Rapid City so I used to spend some time up there. Rapid seemed like the most populous area to me. Hot Springs was my favorite place to stay--great B&B on top of the bluff, but that was almost 20 years ago.
11-18-2010, 04:02 PM   #43
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Since you have been in this area (anything within 500 miles qualifies as "in the area" around here.) My guess is that you are the only one on the forum that knows how Pierre is pronounced in South Dakota.
11-18-2010, 04:25 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Since you have been in this area (anything within 500 miles qualifies as "in the area" around here.) My guess is that you are the only one on the forum that knows how Pierre is pronounced in South Dakota.
Actually, I got that from a peer from Pierre with whom I used to practice law.
11-18-2010, 04:36 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey... I've been BY Pierre on the interstate... and my avatar is a self portrait from the badlands when we were out for Sturgis Bike Week and Boozefest...

sooooo how DO you promnounce Pierre?