Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
the deals are still out there but ebay isn't the best spot to look (neither is craigslist for that matter) Just keep your eye open and venture into place that look like they are full of junk occasionally you may be surprised by what you find
Very true, I found my Super Tak 50 (8 element version) in a pawnshop. It was coupled with a Chinon 135 2.8 (not the greatest lens but pretty decent) bought them both for 65 USD. So yeah there are still deals out there we just have to look harder than we used to.

11-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Beside the introduction of new Pentax models (which will always stir up market prices), you are also seeing the effects of a weakened American dollar.
11-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Beside the introduction of new Pentax models (which will always stir up market prices), you are also seeing the effects of a weakened American dollar.
Nailed it.
11-15-2010, 02:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
Pentax community, what the fudge happened?
You aren't gifted with some special ability to do math. Many other people came to the same conclusion you did. At the same time, add in a number of gaps to the pentax lens line up that Pentax isn't interested in filling, and you have a run on the good old glass. As prices for that start to rise, more and more frugal shooters compete for the limited quantities of affordable used glass that is ok.

A lot of people who purchased cheap good old glass know what they have and are holding on to it as they know they can't trade it away and trade back for it later anymore.

Eventually demand will drop, or the cheap used glass won't be cheap, and then you will REALLY start to see people complain about Pentax's limited lens lineup compared to bigger competitors.

11-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
you just need to look in alternate place sometimes recent purchases by me

M 50 1.7 - 10 pounds on portobello road (about $16.50 canadian) bot caps great shape
M 200 f4.0 $13.52 canadian in a local junk shop (he wanted $25this is what i had in my pocket) both caps exc- shape
m28 f3.5 and m2.8 f2.8 - $15 ea same shop same condition as m200
I also got a lot job of the following for $280 (a little more than i'd have liked) one body needs work and is on the way to eric but the rest is all good
Km Body
Mx Body
SV Body
M42 to K original adaptor
Super Tak 55 1.8 caps incl
K 55 2.0 caps incl
another m 50 1.7 incl case
M 100 2.8 (the reason i bought it really) with hood caps
Tokina 80-200 rmc f4.0 with case (i'll get rid of it likely though its in good shape)
3 sets of closeup filters
UV filters for all
a few other odd filters (all filters with cases)
2 cases
an old but pretty decent flash

and finally i bought a m135 f3.5 for $40 locally

so for a total of $380 or so I got 10 lenses and a few new to me bodies to play with
the deals are still out there but ebay isn't the best spot to look (neither is craigslist for that matter) Just keep your eye open and venture into place that look like they are full of junk occasionally you may be surprised by what you find
M lenses can still be had for dirt cheap.

But try that with the Super Taks and Super-Multi-Coated Taks.

As far as build quality, that's the reason.
11-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
How do you figure that?

The dollar value is not driving up old Tak prices, especially since like 75% of old Taks sold on eBay are U.S. based and will only be shipped domestically anyway.

And the fact that the dollar is actually doing pretty good these days, compared to two years ago.
11-16-2010, 01:43 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Its also the effect of the price rises put place by Pentax / Hoya 18 months ago. This has filtered down through the 2nd hand market. I try to pass on stuff here for the same price I paid for them, i.e. a rough 85 S Tak f/1.9, S Tak 28 /f3.5, S Tak 35 /f3.5 and a nice clean Sportmatic I asked for €175. Following day I see a 85 f1.9 on its own for $275. The prices will stay that way (high) as long as someone will pay them.

11-16-2010, 09:48 AM   #23
Pentaxian

One thing I have noticed on Ebay in recent months it the total amount of lenses available. A year ago there were between 2000-3000 Pentax mount listings most of the time and recently it has been 8000-9000 range. The amount of listings and higher prices indicate higher demand. If stuff doesn't sell, it will get re-listed lower. Some lenses seem to be going high lately, especially the fast 50's and macro's. Taks seem to be a little higher than their "M" relatives lately.
11-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I remember probably around the mid nineties, the top Nikon body, F4 I think it was, cost nearly $2K....at the same time you could have bought a 85 1.8 SMc for around $100.... because no-one was really interested. How things have changed....that Nikon body can now be bought for $150, but the SMC Tak 1.8 (in good shape) will fetch $400+. (Of course we've all seen 'em for a lot more...but $400 will do for this exercise)
Cheers, Pickles.
11-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #25
Veteran Member

tak prices are being driven by the non pentax market due to the ease of finding adaptors now. of course if someone wants to pay 445 for a 20 f4.0 tak I'll take the DA 21 3.2 at the same range (it limits my lba somewhat though)
11-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #26

Look at the prices for the digital Hasselblad stuff. A nice one rigged for underwater might only run you $75K if you have a connection. I didn't even want to test it since I might have either loved it or flooded it...tom
11-18-2010, 07:17 PM   #27
Veteran Member

There are also the micro 4/3 camera that allow adapters as well.
11-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

If you really think Pentax is expensive, contrast and compare with Contax. You'd be lucky to get any change out of 200gbp for a 28mm Contax, vs 30gbp for a Pentax. I dont see any price difference between Pentax and Nikon lenses though, from Nikon's manual focus era. Difference is I can use the Pentax M lenses on my digital body. One of the problems appears to be professional sellers on Ebay who buy masses of stock and keep the market high in so doing. That doesn't stop bargains to be had from buying off people doing a clearance of the attic. The sellers on Ebay don't bid hard for anything, they just try to pick the bottom of auctions and walk away when it gets near to the average. I also think its actually an illusion that prices are going up...in the time I have been buying Pentax related kit, I have only seen prices display high variance around a stationary mean. I do feel sorry for the morons though, who buy off sellers with ratings of 5000 selling lenses at 2 times their normal value, with a "warranty".

Eventually, the penny will drop that the full format sensor is never going to come, as pixel density is getting so good there is no need for larger sensors, and all bets will be off on buying full frame lenses for a potential full frame sensor. Particularly given the intro of a medium format digital body. Over time, I can only see that old glass is going to get cheaper, not more expensive. Modern digital lenses like the 21/35/70 start to become a much more viable alternative, with full functionality on digital bodies and cap the price of old lenses.

Although lens diagrams may look the same, manufacturing tolerances, refractive indices of glass, computational design all have improved. Ultimately, I dont think the price of lenses matters in any case, as once you are sucked into this hobby, one lens is never enough. Its pretty addictive stuff.

Last edited by whojammyflip; 11-24-2010 at 08:33 AM.
11-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Saw a Kx on the marketplace with close to 10,000 actuations, body only for $450 + $10 shipping. How can someone possibly think that is fair market value? You can get a brand new one with warranty and the kit lens for $489. I can't believe some people.