Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dog ate my tripod.

Woke up this morning and the dog has chewed every bit of plastic / rubber off my tripod's head. The rubber feet are gone, the tripod head handles are gone and the heads body are chewed.
Silver lining i spose is i can probably convince the wife i needed a new head on it (to replace the stupid pan and tilt for a ball head) and i woke up before she totally ruined it, the leg clamps hadn't been started on quite yet only a couple of bites on them.
Anyone else had equipment attacked by a pet?

11-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I sell several bicycle seats every year to replace ones that people's dogs chew up.
11-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I sell several bicycle seats every year to replace ones that people's dogs chew up.
You should rub people's seats with bacon when they bring their bike in for a tune up.
11-17-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
You should rub people's seats with bacon when they bring their bike in for a tune up.
I'll try that.

11-17-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Too bad you missed the Dolica tripod sale (under $20). You can have the ball head off it if I can get my stupid pan head from another tripod to fit it :-)
11-17-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think that is worth posting a picture of.
11-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wjt Quote
Woke up this morning and the dog has chewed every bit of plastic / rubber off my tripod's head. The rubber feet are gone, the tripod head handles are gone and the heads body are chewed.
Silver lining i spose is i can probably convince the wife i needed a new head on it (to replace the stupid pan and tilt for a ball head) and i woke up before she totally ruined it, the leg clamps hadn't been started on quite yet only a couple of bites on them.
Doggies know from insufficient camera support.

If the head itself can be eated wif teef, , it was probably too plastickey.

As for animals messing with things, well, there's kitties. Being kitties. And I've had rats *remove* things. (If they're people-acclimated enough to have some run of the house, , they'll find little things you drop and cache them, which is actually pretty handy in terms of lost earrings and step rings. Somewhat less so with the inevitable half-a -donut, but their heart's in the right place, and you know where to look. . )

I've got a few pieces from a cheapie tripod that I turned into a light stand, btw, if you need em.

11-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Your dog knows you need a quality tripod.
I'd be more concerned if a dog was trying to wee onto the tripod legs...
11-17-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hope that it was a cheap tripod!
11-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

When I saw the title of this thread I thought maybe you were a Photography School student and "my dog ate my tripod" was going to be your excuse for missing an assignment.
11-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
When I saw the title of this thread I thought maybe you were a Photography School student and "my dog ate my tripod" was going to be your excuse for missing an assignment.
Ha! I was thinking along similar lines, that this was a joke. Unpleasent surprise when I realised it wasn't :ugh:
Was this the nice new light weight tripod you just bought??!
11-17-2010, 07:51 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Sucks. Not the dog's fault though.
I've been pretty lucky so far. My Rottie uses my camera bag as a pillow. I get some fur on my camera bag, but that's about it.
11-20-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

My tripod took a soccer ball once. Everybody around me flinched, as they thought the camera on top of the tripod (my K10D) got the hit.

Funny thing is, that, I swear the tripod is now MORE stable since that soccer ball thwack.

Srangely, my cat doesn't seem to like the tripod at all...
11-21-2010, 12:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I would like to suggest buying the dog a new chew toy before you get a new tripod.
11-21-2010, 01:32 AM   #15
Inactive Account

It's pretty common these days...

(Image borrowed from CanonFieldReviews.com)