Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-08-2010, 01:35 PM   #121
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I'm curious on any good tips for selling lenses on EBAY?

I've never tried. What happens if my listed item does not sell? Do you find it helpful to list the starting bid at the minimum you would accept for the lens?
Here is the way I go about it.

1. Take GOOD pictures of your item. Too often I'm reminded of why it's nice to have SR on a camera when looking at some of these auctions. Do NOT show your entire livingroom floor or kitchen table with a blurry photo of your item plopped in the center.

2. If you have server space, or even photobucket, post a link to more Large photos within the ad. Even if they have to copy and paste the link, it is infinitely more useful in showing someone Exactly what they are getting.

3. Describe your item as accurately as possible, especially pointing out flaws, showing them if possible. Don't waste money or page space dicking around with ebay's listing ad-ons (page layout, borders, etc) because A, They take longer to load and B, are annoying (especially the animated Icons I see people use). Tell the buyer where you will and will not ship to. Tell the buyer when you expect to be paid. Tell the buyer what your policies are (when you will ship, How you will ship, etc). Tell the buyer your return policy (as is, 3 day, 7 day, etc and who pays the return shipping).

Side Bar here. Ebay will not allow you to make insurance optional so figure on using a shipping option where it is available and include it, Period.. Ebay will also not allow the passing along of fees as an added charge for using paypal (as you see done here with the 3% premium). They tell you instead to bury it in the cost (so they can get their commission from it) or in the form of a handling fee which gets added to the cost of shipping. Other than perhaps some legal issue I don't understand wtf the difference is. Any thinking consumer will recognize he paid $10 for shipping of a $5 box (or worse yet, a $2 padded envelope).

4. When someone asks a question, Answer it as completely as possible, even if the complete answer is yes or no. Many bidders will ask a question just to see IF you answer. Silence sends them looking for something else.

5. I set prices in one of two ways. Market price and True auction. That is, if I know a lens is easily worth $200, that's where I'll start it out. If I don't know or don't care, I'll start it out at $9.99 or something like that. In both cases, I may offer a Buy it now which Has to be at least 10% above the opening bid (unless it's buy it now only).

6. If and when your item sells, most buyers will just pay and never make any other contact unless there is a problem. Ebay automatically sends the winning bidder an invoice as soon as the auction ends. Some bidders need to be reminded that they agreed to buy something. Most will follow through, deal with the rest when it happens otherwise (and it will).

7. Pack the item for safe travel and ship it within the time frame you gave. I'll usually try to get things out of here within 2 business days. When I was doing a Lot on ebay, I would only go once a week (and stated which day that was). Let the buyer know that his item is on the way and forward any tracking info you have (the insurance tag number for instance). I do NOT send items first class on ebay unless it is specifically requested and those items never have more than a $50 value. I send first class here on PF Marketplace because in general, I'm a little more trusting of the community.

8. Collect your money from Paypal to enjoy or just re-spend it on a new toy.

Do keep in mind that it's going to cost you around 10-15 percent of whatever that final bid is by the time you finish paying the fees.

If you want any more help, feel free to send a PM. I'll be happy to help you out,

Good luck..

12-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Here is the way I go about it.

1. Take GOOD pictures of your item. Too often I'm reminded of why it's nice to have SR on a camera when looking at some of these auctions. Do NOT show your entire livingroom floor or kitchen table with a blurry photo of your item plopped in the center.

2. If you have server space, or even photobucket, post a link to more Large photos within the ad. Even if they have to copy and paste the link, it is infinitely more useful in showing someone Exactly what they are getting.
Great photos are also insurance. First, against the seller not knowing something. You might not be aware that your lens is a version 2 M28/2.8. But the difference is visible even in a thumbnail image, if your photo is good. Experienced buyers will notice these small details. Second, it's proof of condition. Anyone can blather on about their personal imaginary rating system, and how this lens rates a VX++. OK, whatever, I'm looking at the photos.
12-08-2010, 02:29 PM   #123
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Great photos are also insurance. First, against the seller not knowing something. You might not be aware that your lens is a version 2 M28/2.8. But the difference is visible even in a thumbnail image, if your photo is good. Experienced buyers will notice these small details. Second, it's proof of condition. Anyone can blather on about their personal imaginary rating system, and how this lens rates a VX++. OK, whatever, I'm looking at the photos.
Which is why I NEVER use a rating on Ebay. I do so here because the listing format for a single item dictates it. What you say about subtle differences is also true. I spent weeks looking at 50mm f1.4 taks looking for the IR mark on the close side of the f4 scale (8 element).

These are the types of photos I make available to people.

12-09-2010, 04:50 PM   #124
Veteran Member

I would add to Jeff's excellent advice above - I start all my auctions at 99 cents. I have never had a well-described and well-photographed item go below what I thought was a fair market value, and several above.

12-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #125

Photos: Albums
I just got a SMC-M 28mm f2.8 off of eBay for $70 (including $10 for expedited shipping and from a reputable seller). I saw the same lens (from each seller's photos the two lenses look to be in the same condition) in the marketplace just a little while ago selling for $110. Haven't read the whole thread but if this is common then I can see why something may be harder to sell in the marketplace. FWIW, I'd rather purchase from the marketplace than through eBay.
12-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #126
Veteran Member

Personally, I'm what you'd call a bottom dweller. I take a good look at the price of things on this forum and only bit on stuff that has a good bang-for-buck... a discerning buyer I guess. Either way, take a good look at the prices on here. The Pentax-F 50mm F/1.7 used to sell for $150 a few months ago. The last few listings have been for $200 - $220 and have been selling.

Now I know what you're thinking, but this isn't pure supply and demand. The price of this sought-after glass going up has prompted an increase in price of less saleable items and sellers wonder why they're not moving.

It's because the audience on this forum is eductated enough to know that you shouldn't buy glass if it offers you nothing over glass you already have. If you want to make a mint on less disirable lenses, go to ebay, there's hardly a lens on there that doesn't have bids on it.
12-14-2010, 10:22 PM   #127
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hambino Quote
I just got a SMC-M 28mm f2.8 off of eBay for $70 (including $10 for expedited shipping and from a reputable seller). I saw the same lens (from each seller's photos the two lenses look to be in the same condition) in the marketplace just a little while ago selling for $110. Haven't read the whole thread but if this is common then I can see why something may be harder to sell in the marketplace. FWIW, I'd rather purchase from the marketplace than through eBay.
Asking price doesn't equal sales price in all cases. $110 may be what is asked but that doesn't mean s/he will get it. For what it's worth, you'll see that lens on ebay for $110 as well. You'll also see it for $25 if you wait long enough and are diligent in your hunt.

12-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #128

hey now..i was just sayin'
12-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #129
Inactive Account

I know you were. I'm just sayin' too

I would rather people buy from the marketplace as well because that is where I recycle my Pentax stuff.

Let's see what you can do with that 28 when you get it or if you have it.

12-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #130

lol probably not much but I intend to learn a great deal from it :-D
12-15-2010, 08:30 AM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hambino Quote
Asking price doesn't equal sales price in all cases. $110 may be what is asked but that doesn't mean s/he will get it. For what it's worth, you'll see that lens on ebay for $110 as well. You'll also see it for $25 if you wait long enough and are diligent in your hunt.

That is frustrating for me to read; I just sold a very nice SMC-A 28mm F2.8 on eBay... and only got $70. OK, plus shipping (no profit there), but still - I really expected to get more for it. I would expect an "M" to go for closer to that price.

The original asking prices on here are likely to be a little bit high since, as long as you're not in a mad rush to sell, there's little reason to price things low. Ask a little high and lower the price until you get a buyer... or just sit tight. I still have a version 3 Vivitar Series One 70-210mm in my collection because I wasn't able to get what I wanted for it when I put it up for sale here a year or so ago. (I actually had three of 'em and sold two.) If I were selling here, I probably wouldn't have let my A 28mm go for so cheap. (Especially since eBay kills you on fees and such.)

Then again, I have to cut eBay a little bit of slack because of my $1,001 Cosina sale.
12-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #132
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
That is frustrating for me to read; I just sold a very nice SMC-A 28mm F2.8 on eBay... and only got $70. OK, plus shipping (no profit there), but still - I really expected to get more for it. I would expect an "M" to go for closer to that price.

Then again, I have to cut eBay a little bit of slack because of my $1,001 Cosina sale.
The first Pentax-A 28mm f2.8 I sold on ebay went for $130, 3+ years ago. My opening bid was $99, the going rate for that lens, that week. I think I took $85 for one here a few months ago. I took $45 for one on the 2nd but it doesn't really count in my mind because it had cleaning marks, inside the lens. I ask for what I want. If it doesn't sell here for the asking, it goes to ebay with an opening bid, of what I'm willing to accept. It all really depends on who is looking and how much they really want it.

12-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #133
Veteran Member

The first Pentax-A 28mm f2.8 I sold on ebay went for $130, 3+ years ago. My opening bid was $99, the going rate for that lens, that week. I think I took $85 for one here a few months ago. I took $45 for one on the 2nd but it doesn't really count in my mind because it had cleaning marks, inside the lens. I ask for what I want. If it doesn't sell here for the asking, it goes to ebay with an opening bid, of what I'm willing to accept. It all really depends on who is looking and how much they really want it.

Well, the problem with eBay is that you often do better starting with a lower bid. I sold a Tamron Adaptall 90mm macro a year or so ago, and initially listed it with a $100 starting bid or so. No bids. Relisted it for $50 or so, and it got bid up in the $130-150 range.
12-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #134
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
Well, the problem with eBay is that you often do better starting with a lower bid. I sold a Tamron Adaptall 90mm macro a year or so ago, and initially listed it with a $100 starting bid or so. No bids. Relisted it for $50 or so, and it got bid up in the $130-150 range.
It happens both ways of course. It's also possible that if you had listed it again for $100 you would have still received the bids you did. My point was, it depends on Who is doing the shopping. There are the early bargain hunters that will toss a low bid and hope for the best. There are the Snipers (me) who won't bid a penny more than they are willing to pay. Then there are the other people who refuse to be outbid, in some cases, at Any price ($1000 Cosina?, Wasn't that a 55mm f1:1.2?). My bottom line is this.. If I expect to make a profit on something, that's where I set my price. Most times I get it, other times I don't. If I don't, then I paid too much.

12-17-2010, 07:03 AM   #135
Veteran Member

I think a low opening bid gets more people watching, thinking about buying, and then translates often into more bidding and higher final price. Obviously it open you to a risk of things selling more cheaply than you want, but with good description and photos, you should get a fair market price. The things I have sold on the marketplace were all priced below what they could have sold for on eBay.