Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I Know What I'm Not Getting For Christmas This Year...

No adapter to for M42 to K mount for me. I'm glad I got that *ist and those old K-lenses when I did because we just had to kill the CC on a new computer for all of us today. We got a 3GHZ Dell with Win 7 and a lot of other stuff, a package deal.

All that work we did earlier in the week and the $$$ spent getting it checked out and the old computer just completely died this morning. Mother board, CD's, power supply, the works, it all went. About the only thing we can likely reclaim out of the old system is some memory that still tests out as okay and the monitor. I'm so ticked.

I'm glad I backed up all our stuff last week or I'd be completely screwed. But that's it. We just looked at each other, and went "Happy Holidays!" We're ALL going to be eating rice and beans for Christmas supper it looks like. LOL

This has been one insane year money-wise. First car repairs, then the AC, then our router, now the main computer. None of us can get a break that way it seems.

I feel vaguely guilty a bit about my $100 *ist and my $50 worth of lenses but I'm thinking I'm darned lucky I at least got a DSLR this year even if it was an old one. I don't think any of us has a red cent beyond the rent and bills till Spring now.

I think I will be very glad to see 2010 go!

11-22-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bad luck. My computer has been playing up a bit too recently, checked the receipts and it's 3 years since the last, major, upgrade (actually it was about everything except the case!), so I may have to bite the bullet soon too.
11-22-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You should be able to put the hard drive from the old PC into the new one to recover any data/photos on it. Highly unlikely that that failed too... As for the memory though, it's unlikely that the old memory will be of any use in the new computer. if its a slower speed than what came in the new box it could actually slow you down (assuming its even the same or a compatible type).
11-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The memory is not that old. It's still a relatively recent type DDR2 vs DDR 3 and should go fast on CL. It's fine we just had that checked the other day actually. We had just replaced the HD and the burner thinking those were the only issues only to have the power supply go and the MOBO apparently.

It was actually almost cheaper to get the new PC than it was to buy a new MOBO et all, plus we got another flat screen and a printer-scanner and these really great speakers for about $100 more than the repairs would have cost. It wasn't a bad deal but it was just totally too much right now on top of our other bills this year. We thought we were done with the major bills.

I'm going to try to use the other HD with the new machine. There's a bay. The memory I'm going to sell and put back into the machine as more DDR3. We've got 4 GB in there but we use applications that could use a bit more. This machine actually kicks the other one's butt in terms of how fast it is. It's a quad core, Intel chips, good audio, decent graphics card so I'm thinking my Adobe stuff will like that.

I'm happy to have the Dell. I just wasn't quite planning for this upgrade as yet. It kind of killed Christmas otherwise, and not just for me! But this is a actually major appliance in our house and it had to be replaced. I do have a laptop but it's not a great one and it just can't handle the needs of the whole household.

Anybody squawks come Dec though and I'm pointing right at this machine and then at my wallet! LOL

11-24-2010, 09:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, I've noticed that desktop prices are very good right now. I'm looking to upgrade my 8 yr. old tower and am finding the difference only around a $100 also. I saw a loaded HP tower in Staples for under $500 with a rebate. Too bad about your computer but now is a pretty good time to buy one if you have to. We all talk of upgrading camera bodies and lenses but none of it is much good without a computer.
11-24-2010, 09:48 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Do you have home/renters insurance? It might be worth a phone call if you do.
We lost the wife's PC two years ago during a storm. I didn't think it would be covered, but she made the call anyways. New PC within two weeks....