Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
New N. Korean Attacks

How do people feel about N. Korea and there recent provocative actions?

In case you haven't been paying attention I am referring to their restarting their nuclear program (well actually reminding the world that their nuclear program never stopped) and shelling civilians. It seems like it is domestic gamesmanship to ensure the transfer of power in a hereditary communist dictatorship.

This whole situation is a very tricky one because of how little Kim Jong Il and his family value the lives of their subjects, a direct retaliatory strike and engagement in a limited or all out would play right into their hands. China shields the DPRK in the UN security council and supports them financially and militarily. The North has been unreasonable and broken every promise they have ever made at a negotiating table. And inaction has only emboldened them since they sunk a south Korean naval ship last spring.

IMHO the only viable option at this point is to treat N. Korea as a ward of China and to assess sanctions upon the Chinese for any N. Korean misbehavior. S. Korea and their allies (US and Japan mainly) need to put some serious economic pressure on China since US, Japanese, and Korean multinationals do so much manufacturing in China. Between the three of them they could easily levy $100 of sanctions against China for every $1 they send to N. Korea simply by having the state department warn businesses about dangers of continuing to do operate in mainland China in the event of continued N. Korean terrorism. I am sure Vietnam, the Philippines, and others would be happy to absorb any transfer of trade away from China.

11-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

North Korea is very scary..
(From my review of the documentary State of Mind, a doc about two N Korean gymnasts)....

Nearly every public park, monument, mountain, etc is named after Kim Il Sung (dead founder of the country), or his son, the leader they call "The General", Kim Jong Il. Every person only had great things to say about him and only wanted to please him.

Everyone is part of a group - there is never any individualism - you will not see a long-haired boy, and everyone wears the same clothes, etc.

Anti-American/West viewpoints are hammered into the population daily through teachers at school, posters, museum exhibits (purporting the US dropped plague-virus bombs in the Korean War), etc.

The Army marches with the Nazi goose-step.

The state-provided radio can be turned down but not off, and only plays state propaganda. One family was fortunate enough to have a TV, given to them by the state for the girl's participation in the previous games. It, too, only broadcasts propaganda, and was on for only 5 hours a day. Just as well, because there are routine nightly power failures.

You must have a permit to travel out of your city. There is no internet access or email.

All this is not a good sign that the isolated nation is as enlightened as it would like us to think.
11-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
there is only one word for this... INSANITY!
11-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I recently watched the National Geographic documentary "Inside North Korea" (Netflix Watch Instantly) and it was disturbing to see the conditions as experienced by the average North Korean. Lisa Ling, the NatGeo correspondent, accompanied a medical team who were providing aid to North Koreans. It was mind boggling to see just how oppressed the people were and how they fearfully worship Kim Jong Il like a vengeful God. I'd recommend the documentary to anyone wanting a glimpse into life within North Korea.

As to the topic of the recent attack, I'm fearful of what would happen if there is no response to the N. Koreans. I feel similar to the S.Koreans and want a heavy handed military response. Of course, that route would only lead to greater bloodshed. IMO, sanctions only continue to hurt the normal citizenry while the regime itself remains unaffected. If anything, it only provides a greater desire by the dictator to advance his armament while building up his nuclear stockpile. But of course, if nothing is done, they will continue their ways just like a errant child that is never reprimanded.

I don't know what we should do. I'm just glad I'm not the ambassador or secretary of state.

11-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

USA going to war in 3, 2, 1...
11-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

It's all pretty simple:

The USA is going to help South Korea...God knows what will happen...and everyone in the world will blame the USA for starting the whole thing, or blame the results of their intervention.

What else is new?

While the rest of the world sits on their asses, America does the heavy lifting, and the rest of the world complains about it.
11-23-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
USA going to war in 3, 2, 1...
Brazil going to the beach in 3, 2, 1...

11-23-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote

I don't know what we should do. I'm just glad I'm not the ambassador or secretary of state.
All we have to do is ask ourselves:

What would Martin Sheen do?
11-23-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
It's all pretty simple:

The USA is going to help South Korea...God knows what will happen...and everyone in the world will blame the USA for starting the whole thing, or blame the results of their intervention.

What else is new?

While the rest of the world sits on their asses, America does the heavy lifting, and the rest of the world complains about it.
We've had our differences, Ira, but in this case, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head.
As to what to do about it?
Large bombs rained down on all of their military and government buildings would be a good start.

If you are going to make a statement, make sure it is an unequivocal one.
11-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Brazil going to the beach in 3, 2, 1...
What's the relation with the thread, besides you venting your prejudice?

Back to the subject...

I'm sensing USA going to another war soon, North Korea just created a diplomatic incident with their paranoia.

The only solution besides war would be if China acted up, as UN actions don't have any effect on DPRK. If the rest of the world doesn't pressure China by threatening moving companies out there (which they won't, money talks louder), then USA will be forced to maintain it's influence on Asia by helping Japan and South Korea in an upcoming war. I just hope it doesn't turn out necessary, another war in a decade would play havoc with the economy, and wouldn't make it easy for americans at home neither for the kids leaving to war.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 11-24-2010 at 08:00 AM.
11-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
One can only hope that the top brass does something akin to what happened in Romania, and then has the good sense to get closing shop for reunification underway (as in DDR).
11-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Essentially what needs to happen is a Joint US/South Korean and China invasion of North Korea. Because there is the issue; once North Korea gets long range missiles, they are going to hold the world hostage. This is a situation neither we nor China really want.
11-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

China intervening and slapping NK down is about the only good solution to this mess. As Chwisck87 said, even China can't want a new all-out shooting war on the Korean peninsula. The chances of this going nuclear are huge given NKs propensity for spending their citizen's blood to make political points.

Best strategy would be for the Chinese to arrest pretty much the top leadership of NK's political and military structures and replace them with people with at least 2 sane brain cells.
11-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read somewhere they fired over 1000 shells but there were only a handful of casualties, exactly what were they aiming for? perhaps the soon to be relaced kim jong il was having having some fun at south korea's expense while on a cognac bender.

With all the negative reactions from other countries,things don't look good for north korea.
11-25-2010, 06:23 AM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

With all the negative reactions from other countries,things don't look good for north korea.
To put that in military aviation terms: "They screwed the pooch" this time.