Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Possible to get inside factory etc for photos?

Hi,
I was watching a documentary on tv and it showed the inside of a bottled water factory. Looks like you'd get a lot of great photos (production line, patterns, abstracts etc) and different than your standard shots- about town etc.

Does anyone know if factories etc would be open to leaving an ameteur (or a group) in to take photos? Has anyone ever done this, if so how did you go about it etc.?

It'd be a great 'photowalk', interesting and could be good publicity for the company as well. (I'm in Galway, Ireland)

Cheers,
Pa.

11-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Banned

Not after 9/11.
Kuwait DSLR Camera Ban Now in Effect
11-23-2010, 03:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I'm in Galway , Ireland so probably have a better chance here.
Crazy about Kuwait
11-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Banned

I bet the boss at the bottled water plant is not thinking of having a total stranger take photos of his production line IMHO. But if you meet him at the local pub and have a talk over a mug of Guinness Export Draught then your chances are much better.

11-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I've been on a lot of company tours over the years in a wide variety of industries. A few of the vineyards and breweries that had regular public tours were fine with photography but I can't recall any other industrial facilities that allowed public photography. Even when going into plants as an employee or as part of a trade association tour photography was usually restricted. Some of the high tech companies required cell phones, cameras, and all other electronics to be checked with security before entering their facilities. I've worked with companies that require photos for their own internal use be taken by a designated employee and cleared by a manager before they are released.

With all that said, it doesn't hurt to ask. I wouldn't expect somewhere like Intel to welcome you with open arms, but a small factory might let you in if you can make a compelling case to the owner or manager. Depending on local laws and employment contracts there could well be employee privacy concerns to deal with.

In Ontario there is an annual event where many office and historic buildings that are generally closed to the public allow tourists and photography: City of Toronto: Doors Open Toronto - 150 buildings citywide open their doors