Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Limbaugh - Motor Trend

I know that R Limbaugh hoped that Obama would fail, but nothing like helping it a long a little. Why anyone would listen to him is very hard for me to understand.

"If you can stop shilling for your favorite political party long enough to go for a drive, you might really enjoy the Chevy Volt. Iím sure GM would be happy to lend you one for the weekend. Just remember: driving and Oxycontin donít mix."

Read more: Rush to Judgment - Motor Trend Blog

11-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Just remember: driving and Oxycontin donít mix."
I love it!
11-24-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And as I read the comments posted on the Motor Trend article, I get the sense that the car is either good or bad based on political points of view rather than the merits of the car itself. Why is this country so upside down?
11-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Related article:

Did We Err On The Leaf, Or Is GM Volt Boosterism Bashing It? - Green Car Reports

Last week at the 2010 Los Angeles Auto Show
, we announced that the 2011 Nissan Leaf electric car was the winner of the GreenCarReports 2011 Best Car To Buy award.

That same week, a flurry of other media outlets almost uniformly gave their "car of year" awards to the 2011 Chevrolet Volt range-extended electric car.

Among those giving laurels to the Volt were Motor Trend and Automobile magazines (owned by the same publisher, we note), and Green Car Journal, which runs the Green Car of the Year awards in the U.S.

In the States, we were essentially the only media outlet to give the nod to the Leaf, though over in the U.K., The Green Car Website did name it their "Green Car of the Year."

We're confident in our choice, which is based on the candidates' overall scores in full reviews published by our largest sister site, TheCarConnection. But we're left wondering what we see so differently than anyone else.

As a car, the Leaf has more room inside, carries a fifth passenger, and weighs less than the Volt. It's also more than $8,000 less expensive.

We explained our reasons for selecting the Leaf, among them that it's a real car, the first highway capable, high-volume, full function battery electric vehicle on sale in this country since ... well, since 1930 or so.

The 2011 Leaf also has the lowest carbon footprint of any car in almost every state (only the 2010 Toyota Prius hybrid may be a shade better in those few states with exceptionally dirty power grids).

And we think the range issue--Nissan quotes up to 100 miles, the EPA's formula says it's 73 miles--won't be important for the early adopters or any household that buys a Leaf as its second or third car.

Electric-car owners in Japan, it turns out, spent a couple of weeks worrying about range and then adapted to it and used the cars quite happily, especially when they were reassured that sufficient public charging points were nearby--even though, data shows, they almost never actually used those charging stations.

In our awards judging, the Volt came a very close second to the Leaf, mind you. It was significantly ahead of the other three nominees: the 2011 Honda CR-Z hybrid sports coupe; the 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, that make's first one; and the 2011 Lexus CT 200h, a sporty hybrid compact hatchback.

We were scratching our heads over the Volt sweep when a colleague suggested that perhaps other media outlets felt it was time to reward GM for building the world's first series hybrid, reaching far ahead with a technologically innovative car, and ... by the way ... making a damn good car too.

We're not sure we buy that. These kinds of awards usually take several months to put together, requiring drives by several editors, interviews with the company, and ideally, long-term test cars (not possible for either the Leaf or Volt this year, since they're only now entering production).

But we did wonder what you, our readers, think. Does the Volt award by largely Detroit-based publications indicate a desire to compensate General Motors
for taking risks, building better cars in general and, lately, staging a successful and oversubscribed initial public offering of its stock?

Might there even be some hometown boosterism? (None of those media outlets are based in Tenneesee, where Nissan is.)

GM Volt specs:
http://gm-volt.com/full-specifications/

Nissan Leaf specs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Leaf

Last edited by Phil1; 11-24-2010 at 02:58 PM.
11-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I thought I would chime in:

With half his brain tied behind his back, RL is no automotive authority.

Motor Trend, in my opinion, is a historical domestic biased rag. If you wanted to find out what was going on in the WORLD of cars you read other rags. I must admit I have never subscribed because I never thought those 55 foot long motor boats with hay wagon suspension that would be the MT Car of The Year warranted anything. Kinda like a Nobel for Nada.

Saying that, I kinda think the Volt is pretty neat the little I know about it. The GM EV1 (full electric) always seemed to have good write ups. There were a few tears when the leasors had to give them back to GM after the test period. A few wanted to buy them from GM but that was not permitted.

The MT article says there is a $7500 rebate to buy one. I did a little math and at California gas prices that would buy 1500 gallons of gasoline and get my PZEV 30 MPG wagon about 75,000 miles. It looks like the taxpayers are supplying the condom and the Vaseline again. This smells like another federal junker trade-in deal that the imports really loved.

The comparative Nissan Leaf is a full electric and supposedly $7000 cheaper. Not sure if the rebate applies there though. The vehicles are really not apples and apples for comparative purposes in my opinion.
11-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Remember that the Renault/AMC Alliance was also the Car of the Year, one of the biggest pieces of crap to ever roll on 4 wheels. That award is meaningless to me and it should be to anyone else thinking of purchasing a vehicle. It is based mostly on good looks and paper specs. Within 3 years, most of those cars were in the junkyard.
11-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Way to deflect guys. Rather than discuss what Rush says and his intent, lets make this about the credibility of Motor Trend. You guys should be politicians.

11-25-2010, 04:13 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yep. "Motor Trend Car of the Year" award has about as much credibility as the Nobel Peace Prize.
11-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
Inactive Account

""Way to deflect guys. Rather than discuss what Rush says and his intent, lets make this about the credibility of Motor Trend. You guys should be politicians.""

It's clear neither one has a lot of credability as far as Car of the Year goes. You are free to burn two crosses, one on each lawn to be fair.

From the MT rebuttal: ""See, Rush, because we’re the World’s Automotive Authority, we get access to many cars before they go on sale.

World's Automotive Authority? My dupa.
11-25-2010, 08:30 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
Way to deflect guys. Rather than discuss what Rush says and his intent, lets make this about the credibility of Motor Trend. You guys should be politicians.
The credibility of both are in question here. Rush doesn't know enough about cars to comment on anything other than the strength of the seat and suspension to hold his fat butt. Motor Trend has a history of credibility questions with their Car of the Year awards. The Chevy Volt will fail or succeed based on it's engineering, dependability, and value (cost vs savings). The Motor Trend award (or others for that matter) will mean very little in the long run or the ultimate success of this car. It's folks like us that will determine it's future with our decisions whether or not to buy it. For myself, I'm willing to check it out but not with a first generation model.
11-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Off topic a bit:

Since federal incentives mean tax payers will pick up the tab, it would be really interesting to note the US made content of the large fleet of hibreds and all electrics that are on the way here in the next few years.

There is an aspect of this deal that shifts from horrible imported oil to horrible imported car components. I gotta wonder why we are subsidizing imports.

The last federal car adventure, the junker trade-in deal was a gift to So Korea.
(Hyundi-Kia)

Regarding the Volt:
The batterys appear to be made in the US by LG a So Korean Co & GM.
GM Chooses LG Chem to Supply Chevy Volt’s Lithium-ion Batteries and Will Build the Packs Themselves

Not so with many of the rest of them on the way here.

Interesting blog comments on the above link below the article. FYI

Last edited by Phil1; 11-26-2010 at 09:38 AM.
11-26-2010, 09:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

MT is not my favorite buff book, but they've got more credibility than Rush in evaluating a car. Rush has blinders on.

And while the Leaf seems interesting as well, its limited range will limit it to commuter-car status. The Volt's mission seems to be different - a viable primary car - and its technology and price befits that mission.

The Volt looks promising. It's v1.0 - or maybe a Beta of v2.0 if you count the EV-1 as v1.0. Hopefully GM will have the persistence to improve it with successive generations just like Toyota has done with the Prius and create a new, viable, competitive market category.
11-30-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
Inactive Account

On a side bar, this might be interesting to those that would eventually be concidering a Volt or other hibred or all electric vehicle. It is regarding the energy use comparisons:

Why the 2011 Chevrolet Volt EPA Rating Sends Mixed Messages - All Cars Electric

Quote:

'The 2011 Chevrolet Volt is a great car and offers people the chance to drive electric without suffering range anxiety or requiring them to own a second car for long-distance trips. But the EPA stickers do not reflect this.'
12-02-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
Inactive Account

A little more on the Volt and Rush Limbaugh. GM is loosing money on the Volt project:

GM Confirms, Yes, We're Losing Money on Every Volt We Build - Green Car Reports
12-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Loosing money on a new technology is nothing new; in fact this sets up a trade barrier for at least a while. The goal is to pass the inflection point where the created market supports profits, and the first mover advantage is retained.