Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Head Phones for the iPod touch / phone

So I am tired of the ear bud's have had cheap ones , good ones, time for a decent headset - don't want to spend a fortune but someithing in the $100 ball park would be doable.

There are a few sennheiser I am looking at but would appreaciate some other opinions.

thx.................Dave

11-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have Sennheiser CX-300s and have been very happy with them: the sound quality is great and the price was reasonable. However, the Creative EP-630s look and sound suspiciously similar and are quite a bit cheaper :-)

Last edited by jolepp; 11-25-2010 at 12:37 AM.
11-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
So I am tired of the ear bud's have had cheap ones , good ones, time for a decent headset - don't want to spend a fortune but someithing in the $100 ball park would be doable.

There are a few sennheiser I am looking at but would appreaciate some other opinions.

thx.................Dave
I have some 420's (or 430's or similar) you can have for $25.00. Used 1 time. I never use them because I have to turn up the volume on anything they are plugged into.

I can check the exact model when I get home.

OK, they are 428's.

Last edited by SpecialK; 11-24-2010 at 06:43 PM.
11-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Being a bit of an audiophile, I take my headphones very seriously. I have a very high end set of headphones, or personal reference monitors I use at home for whenever I choose. For my Iphone/pod, I was using a "Sony upgrade" pair I purchased a year or so ago for around $50 and they were "ok", but compared to my ones at home, sucked. I splurged (a little) and bought a pair of Klipsch Image S4 earbuds and WOW, what a difference. Outstanding in comparison. THese little bad boys will set you back around 75-90 dollars, but well worth the investment.

Jason

11-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I have some 420's (or 430's or similar) you can have for $25.00. Used 1 time. I never use them because I have to turn up the volume on anything they are plugged into.

I can check the exact model when I get home.

OK, they are 428's.
ha ! are you willing to give me bad headphones at a good price ? Is your hearing bad or the headphones are just not that good ?
11-25-2010, 06:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
I have Sennheiser CX-300s and have been very happy with them: the sound quality is great and the price was reasonable. However, the Creative EP-630s look and sound suspiciously similar and are quite a bit cheaper :-)
Thanks jolepp I'll see if I can test a pair of those.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Being a bit of an audiophile, I take my headphones very seriously. I have a very high end set of headphones, or personal reference monitors I use at home for whenever I choose. For my Iphone/pod, I was using a "Sony upgrade" pair I purchased a year or so ago for around $50 and they were "ok", but compared to my ones at home, sucked. I splurged (a little) and bought a pair of Klipsch Image S4 earbuds and WOW, what a difference. Outstanding in comparison. THese little bad boys will set you back around 75-90 dollars, but well worth the investment.

Jason
Yeah Headphones can indeed range from $7.99 to over $400 and generally you get what you pay for. With the ipod/iphone and mostly compressed mp3's at various bit rates not sure I could differenciate between a decent set and a high end set. A decent set is what I am after , and not the earbuds - will have to go the the various audio shops and try some out I guess.
11-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
ha ! are you willing to give me bad headphones at a good price ? Is your hearing bad or the headphones are just not that good ?
They sound good. I just don't like having to readjust the volume settings on anything I plug them into :-) I don't know if it is a issue with the brand, set or model.

I'm plenty happy with JBuds, though.
11-25-2010, 08:58 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Ultimate Ears, Shures or Westones, or any other model with a replaceable cable.

You'll thank me when it breaks.

11-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Are you wanting the over the ear kind of headphones? If so, the absolute best value for the money and the best frequency response I have enjoyed are the Yamaha RH-5M. These are amazing headphones and the price is unbeatable for the sound and quality. I bought a pair of these back in 1990ish and still use them daily. In today's world of new/improved/upgrades etc, the RH-5M is still on the market and still amazing over the ear headphone.

Jason
11-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use "Ultimate Ears" SuperFi 4vi in ear Iphone earphones (with mic on the cord) and am very satisfied with them!

Reviews: Ultimate Ears Super.fi 4vi Sound Isolating Headset for iPhone | iLounge

Pat
11-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #11
Zav
Pentaxian

Don't put too much on them if you don't use high quality files. I am sometimes swearing against my mp3...
11-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #12
Banned

SA1 | Sleek Audio

these are what I use. donít sound as great as my 140 dollar audio-technica ATH-CKS90ís. (greatest sounding earphones ive ever heard, and ill put that up against any competing brand) but those were stolen (along with my previous ipod). but these hold their own, and with detachable and replaceable cables, they solve the biggest problem with earphones and why people throw so many away just to spend more money and another pair.
11-26-2010, 03:34 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
It may be a small (moot) point but do keep in mind headphones will sap a wee bit more juice from your player than earbuds/phones. I've got a pair of Sony MDR V700 headphones but I mainly use them for DJing.

However as they're closed cup and I'm only ever listening to mixes from other DJ's or evaluating my own mixes/tracks I'm quite happy with them (they're quite bassy). They do shave 2 hours off a full charge from my iPod shuffle though.

I think you should definitely go and wear a few headphones. So long as the frequency response range is decent enough, and the bitrate of your mp3's are going to vary (probably 160 upwards, you can hear artifacts if it's encoded badly at 128kbps) I'd personally just go on the comfort value and how long they would last before breaking (and replaceable parts as mentioned earlier.) and how long the cord is....having a pocket for the cord is a bit of a pain. :-)
11-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies

I went and tried out a few headphones (over the head kind) and the only ones I really liked for sound and comfort were $500+ more than I wanted to spend. I also thought the main reason I am purchasing these is for working out (have hit that revoving weight I always do!) and I 'sweat' profusely always have. I decided that over the head headphones would probably be ruined (at least the ear cushions) with all that salty liguid puring down

So for now I settled for some earbud - Shure SE115 they seem pretty good. I had bought my wife some Shure's last year for Christmas and I liked them. Almost picked up a pair of Bose with a 'special ear piece' meant for working out ,but since I could not try them on decided against it. There were only $20.00 more than the Shures.

The Shure's certainly sound better than the pair of JVC's I had (they better they were twice the price!) so we'll see how they hold out. And yes they have a detacable cable good advice.

I think I will eventually get a headset for over the head - but for now my immediate needs are met.
11-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
The Sennheisers sound good, hold up well and are reasonably priced.
If the Creatives are identical then they are a steal...

Chris