Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 11:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Curious to know how much interest those of you who like the show have in cars. Are you collectors? Avid car aficionados? Just casual viewers? I like cars to a point, but I can't stand the show, neither the US nor the UK version. I don't know the appeal, but to me, there are about 175 other shows I'd rather be watching than dudes talking and testing cars.
Thanks to the power of cable and the remote control, you have that choice!

Jason

11-26-2010, 11:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Curious to know how much interest those of you who like the show have in cars. Are you collectors? Avid car aficionados? Just casual viewers? I like cars to a point, but I can't stand the show, neither the US nor the UK version. I don't know the appeal, but to me, there are about 175 other shows I'd rather be watching than dudes talking and testing cars.
My interest in cars is very high, i own a bridgeport turbo RX-7 (week end car) which i have raced in drag, drift and circuit events.
11-27-2010, 05:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice ride that RX-7!

I have been a rally fan since teens and then jumped onto F1 and other sports. My affection with cars didn't really take off until I got my own. The show is a fun look at cars. Thats why I watch.
11-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Im a big top gear fan, ive been watching Top Gear (UK) since the mid 90's.
I havent seen the US version, but here in Australia they started the Aus version a couple years ago, and its rubbish! EPIC fail!
They try to copy UK way too much and they try and joke around and its not funny at all, they just look stupid. No version of the show will ever be as good as the UK version. And i think its stupid for other country's to buy the rights and make their own.
Name it something else because it just aint TOP GEAR.
I agree. I didn't care for the AUS version of it, and the American version is just as bad, if not worse. Wouldn't it just be cheaper and gain more popularity if they just ran the UK original version everywhere else?

11-28-2010, 06:45 PM   #20
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
I agree. I didn't care for the AUS version of it, and the American version is just as bad, if not worse. Wouldn't it just be cheaper and gain more popularity if they just ran the UK original version everywhere else?
DAMN THIS THREAD FOR REMINDING ME OF THE AUSTRALIAN VERSION.

No other nation except Britain could pull off Top Gear. The thing about dry British wit is that it's British. I'm not a petrol head, by any stretch of the imagination, but man, Top Gear UK is entertaining enough for other reasons - the idiotic, straight-faced stunts: driving a car upside down in a sewerage tunnel, driving a Peel Trident (with lanky Clarkson folded up inside,) around BBC HQ, and the famous Reliant Robin space shuttle (May and Hammond are probably the only people on the planet who could make looking for unexploded ordinance hilarious.)

Short answer is that media exec-types are generally screwed in the head. They logic goes that if X sells, then if we do X, it will sell. Which is like you thinking if you go and take some photos of Yellowstone park that look exactly like Ansel Adams', you'll enjoy the same success, instead of being derided as being a talentless, uncreative hack (and rightly so.)
11-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Just saw episode 2. Ok. They're improving. Let's see how long it takes them to produce a good show.
11-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Short answer is that media exec-types are generally screwed in the head. They logic goes that if X sells, then if we do X, it will sell. Which is like you thinking if you go and take some photos of Yellowstone park that look exactly like Ansel Adams', you'll enjoy the same success, instead of being derided as being a talentless, uncreative hack (and rightly so.)
pardon me, but if you can take photos of yellowstone that look exactly like Ansel Adams’, you may be uncreative but certainly not talentless.

11-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #23
Veteran Member

TV execs seem to think if something works, every repetition of that same thing works. I quite enjoyed the second episode of the US top gear though I was quite underwhelmed with the first. We'll see how long it takes them to build up a rapport. That's what's missing from the show more than anything.
11-29-2010, 03:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

the next episode will decide what I think of the show for me. The road trip in old junkers/super cars were my favorite episodes on the original, so next episode will be their proving ground
12-03-2010, 02:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

The first 5 mins of episode one were a bit ...

The sound was eco'ing, and the video was shit. To be blunt the production values were WAY lower than that UK top gear. It was soo bad I stopped watching..

And I knew american producers were going overlook the one reason UK top gear is watched by 350 million people... ITS NOT THE CARS STUPID! Its the working relationship of the hosts. One, there is never a bad episode and two, the writing is awesome. And even when the hosts are off the script they are also amazing in dialogue as well.

Also the fact that is on the history channel (why exactly?) when it should obviously be on a network is beyond me. This is simply just going to limit the reach.

First off, Jay Leno should have been the one hosting this show. He loves cars and has proven audience pull. Second, A female co-host should seriously be considered.

Edit - Jay Leno also cited concerns that the show in american would be on a commercial network and therefore be under pressure to not be critical of cars as the publicly funded UK version. Which is mostly why I think it should either be on HBO/Showtime or PBS where funding is either throw grants or as a premium service.

Last edited by Chwisch87; 12-03-2010 at 03:10 AM.
12-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chwisch87 Quote
To be blunt the production values were WAY lower than that UK top gear.
BBC seems to produce of the most amazing cinematography and camera work out there. Think of all those Attenborough documentaries. Top Gear does the same sort of thing with a lot of the places they go to. A lot of it's breathtaking.

And, well, who else would have the balls to make their own space shuttle and launcher, and actually fire the thing!?
12-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I have been a fan of BBC's Top Gear for quite a while, but, predictably, the US version is a letdown. They seem to have left CHEMISTRY out of the formula. I'm glad I watched it on the DVR where skipping ahead was an option instead of live. I'll stick with the original thank you very much. Why make a US version when you can get the BBC version here? Is it not in English?
12-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I have been a fan of BBC's Top Gear for quite a while, but, predictably, the US version is a letdown. They seem to have left CHEMISTRY out of the formula. I'm glad I watched it on the DVR where skipping ahead was an option instead of live. I'll stick with the original thank you very much. Why make a US version when you can get the BBC version here? Is it not in English?
Cause apparently Americans can't understand words like Petrol Boot and Bonnet, and the cars we actually sell here don't get featured...that and the anti-US spin the show takes on when reviewing American cars doesn't do much for some people here in America.

The show needs Tanner Faust, Jay Leno and Jessie Coombs (Host of Xtreme 4x4 on Spike/Mythbusters presenter in Kari Byron's absence.) That combination would have all kinds of chemistry and interesting viewpoints. I find Tanner to be okay, but Rutlidge and Adam are just annoying. They're not car people.

Still, I'll give it a chance. Maybe new hosts will rotate in, maybe they'll get their act together. Shitty Top Gear is better than the best episode of Desperate Housewives.
12-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Heehee. I do love the British version, it's just funny, British humor and guys and their cars, it's a great combination. (As much as I love cars, it's usually about things I won't likely be worried about buying in this lifetime. Though when my sweetie and I have considered actually moving to England or taking a degree program there,, I've said, 'The experience won't be complete until I find some quaint nightmare of a very British car to be driving around.' A funny Vauxhall or a Cortina or maybe even a Rover P6, which I've always just wanted for some reason.

I actually used to be friends with a British expat mechanic who'd trade in all manner of cheap used cars, years ago. Was kind of fun. Less about the 'macho' thing, too.

I'm sure there's *got* to be a way to do an American version, but it obviously wouldn't be the same. I'm not sure if it's on any channels we get or when, though.
12-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It airs on the History Channel Sunday nights at 10pm EST.