Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
It airs on the History Channel Sunday nights at 10pm EST.
Ah. I'm afraid it's just basic cable, here. Any package that gets the documentary channels costs outrageously, here.

12-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Ah. I'm afraid it's just basic cable, here. Any package that gets the documentary channels costs outrageously, here.
The latest episode is also available for viewing in its entirety on history.com
12-07-2010, 08:13 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I finally caught a rerun of the second episode; like others, I don't think it "grooves" like the original, primarily for the reasons others have noted. However, I think the Mitsubishi Evo down-hill sequence was pretty well done.

Jer
12-07-2010, 08:36 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
Shitty Top Gear is better than the best episode of Desperate Housewives.
QFT.

Also, while I love the TopGear (UK) it really took them about 3 series to get the format right and really didn't take off until series 5 or 6 in my opinion. The US version has shot something like 8 episodes or something and is in their first series so I will give them the benefit of the doubt that they will tighten things up a bit. Otherwise the "Moonshine Run" segment in the last episode was pretty funny to me.

12-07-2010, 09:07 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
some quaint nightmare of a very British car to be driving around.' A funny Vauxhall or a Cortina or maybe even a Rover P6, which I've always just wanted for some reason.
How about a MG roadster? (MG MGB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Should be an unbeatable combination of style and inpracticality? :-)
12-07-2010, 11:23 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
How about a MG roadster? (MG MGB - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) Should be an unbeatable combination of style and inpracticality? :-)
Practicality is a relative thing. If you're looking to haul a family in it, it's terribly impractical. If it just gets you and a briefcase and maybe a lunch pail to work, it's perfect.

You never see MGBs parked outside psychiatrists' offices
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Ah, I know those pretty well, cause we *do* have those over here: It'd have to be a BGT for me, though. While, yes, a British ragtop would be *particularly* impractical for my sun-sensitive self, people would assume I was just paing the price to have a roadster, and it wouldn't generate so much of the 'Quaint, but *why?!*' factor.

I don't know about Britain, but there's few better car security systems out there than a manual choke, particularly one that's out of sight. I once had an old Mopar so-equipped that pretty much couldn't be started except on the hottest days unless you knew that was there and what it was for. Fringe benefit of not being able to afford a new carburetor.

That beloved vehicle had kind of a big Millenium Falcon factor about starting up.

Anyway, if I'd be going to do the MG thing, my way would be a reference to the sort of hatchback-and-artsy tweed-bell-bottoms-and-macrame-handbag version. Likely with more Bondo.
You gotta keep your cliches straight.

QuoteQuote:
You never see MGBs parked outside psychiatrists' offices
There are, of course, several ways to interpret that, but it probably works out about the same.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-07-2010 at 01:47 PM.
12-11-2010, 06:12 AM   #38
Veteran Member

... people would assume I was just paing the price to have a roadster, and it wouldn't generate so much of the 'Quaint, but *why?!*' factor.
I see ... how about one of these then? :-)

12-20-2010, 06:00 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see ... how about one of these then? :-)
Wow - this reminds me of the Ford Anglia my wife and I rented in Jamaica during our honeymoon in 1968. We drove it over the mountains from Ocho Rios to Kingston, encountering a downpour that flooded out the engine. I dimly remember using something to wipe of the points in the distributor - whatever I did worked - we made it to Kingston and back.

Jer
12-20-2010, 06:54 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I suppose it is fair to say that the Anglia has some character to it? (Whether one likes that or not is a different matter :-)
12-20-2010, 07:10 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Where are the car tests/reviews? Is it all just going to be road trips from now on???
12-20-2010, 07:53 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suppose it is fair to say that the Anglia has some character to it? (Whether one likes that or not is a different matter :-)
The Anglia had character, but perhaps not so much as the Morris Minor convertable my Dad bought new in '58. It was a piece of work, for sure: only about 35 HP, no syncro in first, a heater in name only and a hand crank for use when the problematic electric starter became stubborn. Nevertheless, we loved that car - I learned to drive in it and I still think of those times and that little car often. Yup, it had character in abundance.

Jer
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voytech Quote
Where are the car tests/reviews? Is it all just going to be road trips from now on???
Their ratio of tests to shennannigans is about equal to the british version.

The last episode...I haven't seen the whole thing but it's a complete and wholesale reshoot of the British Leyland challenge on Top Gear UK. Same tests even!
12-20-2010, 11:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I suppose. Looks like they are "gelling" together, but I still don't like Rutlidge or Adam.
12-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #45
m8o
Veteran Member

I'm an avid Top Gear watcher (the real one) on BBC-A. Incredible cinematography. Hilarious hosts with a quick wit and devilish tongue; anyone know if that's all ad hoc or there's actual writers? Any auto enthusiast's "entertainment at its finest".

I was really let down by our US cast of hosts tho. When I was watching the 1st episode I saw of it of the Viper test drive and the driver (forget his name) was comparing it to "a horse" I couldn't help thinking "they need writers", thinking in my mind of the words Jeremey would use instead. Instead of "its like a horse" he would have said "like a writhing stallion"; instead of "wants to throw you" he would have said "wants to murder you, and then eat your face". Obviously it doesn't end there.

....it's the little things that make all the difference...

I do have to admit however the drifting competition with the blind driver was a hoot. I absolutely roared when he successfully slid the car into the cardboard parking spot. Kudos to his teacher, the drifter (same guy that was driving the Viper ; dang, can't remember his name @ the moment)

I must also say it really does bother me that they do not acknowledge the existence of the British show that spawned it. I've seen all of them in night-show interviews, and not one mention of the UK show. Sheesh.