Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My online black Friday experience..

Okay, my wireless router pooped out yesterday. Too lazy to go out to any store today, so I thought I'd give Amazon a whirl. I looked around their site and found a nice router coming up in 32 minutes in their black Friday deal-o-rama. Leave the site and go to ESPN and see how the games are coming. I got time. Go back to Amazon and can't find the router deal. Start to get nervous and finally, it appears again. I wait and wait until the deal starts. 5...4...3...2...1...game on! I wait all of 3 seconds to click the buy button. What!? I'm on a waiting list? They're all spoken for in less than 5 seconds? Doesn't anyone have a life? Sit at their screens and buy stuff?

I'm bummed. I think i've lost the game. What is this wait list, I wonder? I search the site and it tells me that if one goes unclaimed, they'll notify me in a small pop-up box in the upper right corner of the screen. Yeah right. I sit back and think maybe it will actually happen. 15 minutes pass and nothing. Check the scores again on ESPN. Go back to Amazon and wait some more. Why would I do these things? Just when I had all but given up, there it is! The pop-up box informing me that I get to buy the router, but I have only 2 minutes to decide. The timer starts. I've come this far in this online game, and I ain't quittin now. I hit the buy button, and finally the router is mine....almost.

After I dot the I's and cross the T's and cc is charged, I'm reminded of the picture I saw in this mornings paper showing tents setup outside the local Best Buy store... on the sidewalk... in 10 degree weather... hauled in there by folks waiting for the deal. I laughed at this thinking these people are nuts. After chasing the dogs tail for over an hour online, I wonder....are they really??

Last edited by larryinlc; 11-26-2010 at 08:19 PM.
11-26-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The big day for internat deals is this monday.
11-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Actually, Cybermonday has been a bit of a dud these last few years. I've been getting deals on Amazon all week long. I love it because I can sit in the comfort of my own home without waiting out in the cold for ungodly hours. Some of the things I scored so far this year between newegg and Amazon:

Batman Begins $4.99 (bluray)
The Dark Knight $4.99 (bluray)
Canon S95 $299.99
Western Digital Passport 650GB drive $34.99
Left 4 Dead 2 $9.99
Madmen Seasons 1-3 $30 (bluray)
John Wayne Ultimate Collection $5 (DVD)

And more, but I'm too lazy to list. Lot's of good deals out there even before Black Friday. Plus, free shipping and no taxes is way better than lining up at Best Buy the night before (crazy people).
11-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But what were the scores of your teams? Larry ya can't just mention "game scores" and leave us hangin'.

Just kidding.

We did some online Black Friday shopping and bought a new house. We got a good deal.

Last edited by Nowhere Matt; 11-27-2010 at 06:46 AM.
11-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Walmart was selling Belkin wireless routers yesterday for $29. We went in at around 4 in the afternoon and there probably less people than a normal Friday at that point. The sign on the display said "while supplies last" so it might be worth checking out.