Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 12:47 PM   #91
Veteran Member

But if I see that my revenues are dropping I can cut prices to sell more product and make up for it in volume. Don't say it doesn't work because companies are doing it all the time. Even work with taxes back in the 80's

12-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #92

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
But if I see that my revenues are dropping I can cut prices to sell more product and make up for it in volume. Don't say it doesn't work because companies are doing it all the time. Even work with taxes back in the 80's
Sorry, this is apropos what? What would be the analogy to government spending/taxation?
Besides, what do you do, as a business, when you already break even? There is no more room to cut prices further or you're selling at a loss? You cut on production and sell only what you can while still breaking even (or a little above) and lay-off the idle workers (which is what the US companies are doing nowadays, more or less) or you "double down" and go into more debt to ride-out the storm.
12-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
Not an accurate statement of what happened in the 80s. Actually, on the other thread about David Stockman it points out how he did not see it that way. In the 80s, the government spent more money than it took in taxes. This provided some stimulus. It did not make up for the taxes in volume.
12-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #94
Veteran Member

Yeah I should just go and do what the Obama does. I'll print more money.

12-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You mean: what the Obama does and the Bush did: print more money.
12-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
You mean: what the Obama does and the Bush did: print more money.
And St. Ron as well.
12-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #97
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We need tax cuts for the rich:

I'm rich, and I can tell you that...

Wait. Scratch that. I'm poor.

So I just don't know.

12-14-2010, 01:56 AM   #98

I don't suppose NO is enough of an answer then?
12-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Worth repeating here:

Obama's long term game vs Repub's long term game.... Obama's losing.......maybe
QuoteQuote:
Spending Bill Offers New Test for GOP

"This is precisely the business-as-usual behavior that Republicans told Tea Party voters they wouldn't engage in.''

-- Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) before casting a grudging vote for a tax compromise struck between his party and President Obama.

The Senate advanced the tax deal struck between President Obama and the GOP with an astonishing 83 votes. You couldn't get that many votes for a resolution in favor of Santa Claus.

But a tougher fight now lies ahead on a $1 trillion plan to fund the government for the next year.

The tax deal vote was a cannon shot over the bow of House Democrats. A piece of legislation with this kind of broad, bipartisan support isn't supposed to be tweaked, it's supposed to be ratified by acclamation.

And while House Democrats are still grousing about President Obama caving in too soon to Republican demands on the extension of all current tax rates, the third of the $900 billion plan that is either new spending or tax incentives looks pretty good to Democrats as the reality of a GOP House majority draws nearer.

Plus, a Democratic revolt in the House might permanently hamstring Obama. If Obama cannot speak for his party in Washington when negotiating with Republicans, he's already a lame duck.

But now comes the harder part.

The House, which failed for the first time in 36 years to even offer a budget, has offered up a $1.1 trillion spending package to cover the next year. Senate Democrats have a similar $1 trillion measure.

Marbled with fat, the bills would basically continue existing funding levels with inflationary increases and some special considerations for favored programs.
Conservatives say that all that should be done is a short "continuing resolution" to keep the government operating for a few months after the current stopgap measure expires on Dec. 18.
But fearing a government shutdown and perhaps hoping to avoid some headaches induced by tackling a budget right off the bat, some Republicans are quietly suggesting that the Senate GOP shouldn't block the plan.
The measure will be served up today, and the right will be watching very closely as GOPers cast their votes.
Today's Power Play: Obamacare Embattled; Pork Test for Senate GOPers; Steele Standing; Wiki Tweaks to U.S.-U.K. Relations - FoxNews.com
Again, IF my taxes go up on Jan. 1 you can be sure it won't be because of my "progressive" friends........ I don't believe I'm a lone voice here.......... I won't be happy BUT someone has to pay something for something.........
12-14-2010, 10:11 AM   #100
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Our problem is obvious!
We just don't know how hard it is to survive on our last couple of hundred million.
Buying congress isn't cheap.
12-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #101
Veteran Member

Some exceptions........
QuoteQuote:
Obama called for the Oval Office meeting, which also included Gates’ wife, Melinda, to discuss the Giving Pledge project, started by Buffett and Gates to encourage wealthy U.S. individuals and families to give most of their fortunes to charity, the administration official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

They also talked about U.S. economic competitiveness, including boosting investments in education, the official said.

The meeting with Gates and Buffett comes on the eve of Obama’s summit with about 20 business leaders including General Electric Co. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Immelt and Google Inc. Chairman and CEO Eric Schmidt to discuss issues related to economic growth including exports, regulation, the budget deficit. The U.S. education system also is on the agenda for that meeting.

Buffett, 80, has committed 99 percent of his fortune, estimated by Forbes in September at $45 billion, in donations that are scheduled to continue after his death. His gifts to charities, including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, fund programs aimed at easing world hunger, boosting education in the U.S. and promoting access to abortions.

Gates, 55, and Buffett have signed up Facebook Inc.’s Mark Zuckerberg, Oracle Corp. Chief Executive Officer Larry Ellison and filmmaker George Lucas for the Giving Pledge. In September, Buffett and Gates traveled to China and met with some of the country’s richest people to discuss philanthropy.

The number of Giving Pledge participants in the U.S. has risen to 57 since the project was announced in June, according to a Dec. 9 statement.
One way to avoid the "death tax"............
Obama Said to Meet Gates, Buffett on Boosting Economy - BusinessWeek
Interesting site.. no c/p allowed............but where there's a will there's a way.........
http://worldnewsvine.com/
http://worldnewsvine.com/2010/12/senate-republican-plans-failure-to-create-j...not-our-fault/
QuoteQuote:
Even Republicans know this deal extending the tax cuts to the rich is nothing more than a fraud as stated that the mandated two-year extension, which in her words should be permanent, will not create jobs.
Employed and unemployed workers beware; the GOP will be strong-arming their wealthy campaign donors to scale back on hiring next year. The tactic will be to prove to the American public that their proposal of refusing to pay for unemployment extensions along with the failure to make the tax cuts for the wealthiest in the nation permanent as the sole reason employers will not begin hiring next year. If that is not enough, the Health Care reform act will add ammunition to their arsenal.
Why the GOP just simply does not call this what it is, Class Warfare is beyond anyone’s imagination. They are certainly relying on the facts that at least 60 percent of those that voted Republican in the mid-term elections cannot spell Class Warfare let alone define the social-economic meaning of the phrase.
The Senator also alluded to the Republican Party’s newly found power and how they plan on flexing their muscle in the first half of the 112 Congress, stating that with the Democrats still holding the Senate that they will need to be more open to Republican compromise.
American workers must now ask themselves is the word “compromise” GOP slanged for “political blackmail”? Regardless, all this saber rattling, and threatening to cut of America’s unemployed workforce along with, the stalemate in the Senate over the last two years, Hutchison is practically assuring the American workforce that things are going to be worse under this plan unless they, the Republicans have it their way. That is implementation of failed policies on a much more permanent level.
Oh, the Republican hypocrisy will lead this nation to the absolute brink of economic disaster cannot be labeled anything else but, Class Warfare.
Really bad English.....

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-14-2010 at 02:27 PM.
12-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #102
Veteran Member

And this bill gives tax cuts for the rich. Blah blah blah. What about all the pork that's been tacked on? Anyone care about the billions in additional spending the Obama has on this "Tax Cut" bill? Or can we just forget about that? Personally as much as I think keeping the current level of taxes will help not eliminate even more jobs this spending bill needs to die. And a real tax bill needs to be done. What a bunch of bull this "compromise" is.
12-14-2010, 04:16 PM   #103
Veteran Member

But great talking points

QuoteQuote:
Listen to Romney: We must take care of the unemployed! It's good to extend unemployment benefits! But extending unemployment benefits is bad! Lazy bums won't look for jobs!

Here's your 2010 version of a "compassionate conservative." Lip service to the need for a strong system of social welfare combined with a shout-out to the notion that government handouts create a class of bums.
Mitt Romney dives into the tax cut tar pit - Mitt Romney - Salon.com
QuoteQuote:
Huge spending cuts might make a difference, however -- and Romney is surely correct to note that the tax cut deal "is sacrificing the bedrock Republican principle that new expenditures be paid for with offsetting budget cuts."

Never mind that no Republican president in the last 30 years has actually adhered to that principle. Romney only makes his comment in reference to the cost of paying unemployment benefits, blithely ignoring the fact that when tax cuts are unmatched by budget cuts they are fungibly equivalent to new expenditures.
12-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Well they got them but I just have to throw in this cartoon:
Closed Thread