Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #16
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
Snow I don't mind... (I don't love it, I just don't mind it).

The cold on the other hand I could do without... Pat
I'm just the opposite, Pat. Cold air doesn't need to be shoveled.

12-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I usually find cold without snow a little more bleak than it's worth. The shoveling is usually pretty useful exercise, actually, as long as I don't hurt myself/overdo it (Kind of a real worry.)

Here, they're predicting another 'arctic blast,' why, it might get down to 22 F.

This is admittedly not so funny in a lot of the houses down here, with poor to no insulation, but the prediction of *gasp* .01 inches of snow kind of was.
12-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I know what you mean, I just shoveled 3+ feet of snow from the rear balcony and stairs at work... no fun!

But then again there is cold air and then there is COLD air! A nice sunny day with dry air around freezing is pleasant... a cloudy humid day around -25 is pure hell.

Pat
12-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #19

Ho Ho Ho
Send some of that over to Sydney.Too damn warm here right now. Miss Canadian winters (down to -40C if i remember correctly at times lol)!! hehe

12-13-2010, 11:13 AM   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote
But then again there is cold air and then there is COLD air! A nice sunny day with dry air around freezing is pleasant... a cloudy humid day around -25 is pure hell.

Pat
I spent 4 years in Fairbanks, Alaska. The first winter I was there, there was a 3 week period in January during which the high was -53 F.
There is a distinct difference between "cold" and "You've got to be ****ing kidding me cold" Fortunately, when it gets really cold in that area there is no wind, or even slight breeze to create a chill factor and humidity is nearly off-the-scale low.

QuoteOriginally posted by Smurfinaus Quote
Ho Ho Ho
Send some of that over to Sydney.Too damn warm here right now. ............
it was -11 F. here last night. Too damn warm???!!!! Ive got a two word reply to that, and it isn't "Merry Christmas".
12-13-2010, 01:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm not so crazy about winter in Wisconsin anymore, but I am truly thankful for an attached garage.
Attached Images

12-14-2010, 03:10 AM   #22

I spent 4 years in Fairbanks, Alaska. The first winter I was there, there was a 3 week period in January during which the high was -53 F.
There is a distinct difference between "cold" and "You've got to be ****ing kidding me cold" Fortunately, when it gets really cold in that area there is no wind, or even slight breeze to create a chill factor and humidity is nearly off-the-scale low.

it was -11 F. here last night. Too damn warm???!!!! Ive got a two word reply to that, and it isn't "Merry Christmas".
Hahaha. I dont mind the cold and the snow. Was in canada (Calgary)for 6 months more than 11 years ago now. Around Christmas time as well.And yes there was a lot of snow shovelling & the blizzards & the ice .Over here its about 28C + and humid sorta summer... but lotta windy rainy days unusually as well.Hope it warms up for ya over there

12-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's snowing again this morning. Looks like we'll break the record with plenty of time to spare.

How Central New York keeps going despite record-breaking snow | syracuse.com
12-17-2010, 06:32 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Current Top 10 Snowiest US Cities | Golden Snow Globe
01-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Today we passed 100 inches for the season. 103.5 inches as of 5:30pm January 16th. Normal snowfall through Jan. 16th is 54 inches.

Need a reason to celebrate? More than 100 inches of snow have fallen on Syracuse this winter | syracuse.com

The funny thing is that there isn't that much snow on the ground. We have had two complete melts, one before Christmas and one on New Years.
01-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I say....BRING it on!!! If we have to have winter, then let it snow! These pics were taken yesterday.
Attached Images

01-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The local paper is speculating that we may break Buffalo's record of 199 inches.
01-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Lucky you , we miss snow in Montreal, less than 15 inches up to now. So strange, I suppose it's because our $$ is at par now
01-22-2011, 09:54 AM   #29
Pentaxian

We finally started getting some snow in Eastern NY, but nowhere near the what you guys in central NY are getting. It has snowed every day this week. Not a lot accumulating a whole lot but just enough to keep the roads greasy. I have a couple of feet in the yard.
01-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I am currently at 3500 feet / 1050m elevation in California's central Sierra Nevada mountains, not that far below the prominent Kirkwood winter resort and Lake Tahoe. We have probably had around 100 inches / 2.5m of snow this season. None remains at this level, for which I am glad, because I don't much like snow. More will come before too long, which my kids like, because they are snowboarding perverts. Were my finances better, I'd be back in Guatemala now, at a higher but snow-free elevation. Alas, the kids have offered us their extra house in San Francisco for a few months, so we'll be somewhere snow is only seen on TV. What a loss, eh?

To those of you still smothered in snow drifts: I commiserate. I sympathize. I will be there again. I am glad I'm not snowed-in at the moment. I am ready for Guatemala, or San Francisco, or Kauai, or anyplace without snow. Snow sucks. Yes, I know snow is necessary, but it still sucks. Snow is nice when seen from a safe distance. Otherwise, yuck.