Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
After NAFTA, I was able to get Canadian maple syrup at great prices compared to before. Now the price has skyrocketed.

What gives? Is it high in Canada too?

A bottle here is like 8 bucks now!

I know that in the grand scheme of things, maple syrup ain't that important, but something fishy is going on.
Maple syrup prices have gone up because of low production in the past few years, mostly due to erratic weather. There is probably more commercial syrup production in Canada than the US, which makes Canadian syrup less expensive. Most folks around here will buy their syrup from local producers in the spring. Local syrup is available is small shops and farmers markets all year. Canadian syrup is still cheaper most of the year. In Fla., I would expect pure maple syrup to be very expensive as transportation costs are factored in. It is priced by the color, with light amber being a better grade than the dark. The color is determined by how early or late the syrup was tapped with the early syrup being better.

12-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Ah, well, hey, I generally like it pretty dark, but my taste in sweet things is pretty odd, in general. Or it's just homey.

Anyway, it probably is worth mentioning that maple syrup *is* a pretty big deal if your community produces it, even as a sort of cooperative sideline. It can be a very green and reasonably-high-value product for a lot of families and communities.

Also kind of part of life in an often-pretty disconnected world. The maples are one of the things I miss most keenly about home, and it's a connection to the life of the forest that a lot of kids grew up with and a number of local enterprises rely on.

Big-commercial stuff, I've noticed over the years, has just become so cut with corn syrup, if there's any actual maple in there at all, that you don't even want it.
12-12-2010, 06:19 AM   #18
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Only 8 bucks?
That's a lot less than I can get it for. We bought some really nice syrup at the Garlic Festival this year, 750ml (about 4/5th of your quart) for 15 bucks.
Grocery store syrup is less, but not by that much, I don't think.
I'll find out when we do our restock today and post back to you.
For 250ml!

And that's like the largest size any of the stores carry.
12-12-2010, 06:23 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote

Also, I don't know about Florida, but they're total barbarians about syrup down here:
We're equally barbarous, I'm sure.

12-12-2010, 08:29 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The US kind of pancakes w. some butter and (quality) syryp to complement some egg&bacon - the top English contribution to culinary, I guess - with coffee (and maybe the morning newspaper) is a nice way to start a day (not keeping the doctor away, though :-)

Back to topic: should it have been "free trade is a myth, and global economy does not work" [as advertised]? Global economy with its consequences at least seems real (i.e. non-mythical) enough.
12-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote

Back to topic: should it have been "free trade is a myth, and global economy does not work" [as advertised]? Global economy with its consequences at least seems real (i.e. non-mythical) enough.
I'd say that is more accurate. It is hard to deny that the global economy is out there.
12-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
For 250ml!

And that's like the largest size any of the stores carry.
K, I was at one of the hated Wal-Marts today and had a look at maple syrup prices.
We are about the same price as you at the discount stores.

12-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Followup: What's I tellya on the syrup thing: Seems to be touching on a lot of things:

Maple Syrup Research Industry Fires Back At John McCain
12-16-2010, 11:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

It seems that there has been a bad harvest (maple sap?) and therefore there is a relative shortage, and this has contributed to the price hike of the syryp. Also, it seems that if these research guys get their grant, the cost of producing the stuff could be significantly reduced, and consequently Ira's syryp bottle should cost a lot less. It is interesting to note that a $200 million industry cannot fund a $200k research project that would seem to be very important to its future, but this depends on public money. I suppose "capitalism" as such doesn't always work to produce optimal results without the government getting involved ;-)
12-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jolepp Quote
It seems that there has been a bad harvest (maple sap?) and therefore there is a relative shortage, and this has contributed to the price hike of the syryp. Also, it seems that if these research guys get their grant, the cost of producing the stuff could be significantly reduced, and consequently Ira's syryp bottle should cost a lot less. It is interesting to note that a $200 million industry cannot fund a $200k research project that would seem to be very important to its future, but this depends on public money. I suppose "capitalism" as such doesn't always work to produce optimal results without the government getting involved ;-)
Well, along with what I said, myself, most of that industry's value isn't in sitting around producing investment capital: it's more directly about the people and the actual goods and labor. Has more to do with the people and the land, and that's a place where government-funded research can be good. The big makers of the ersatz of course, get plenty of subsidies, but their interests aren't really aligned with the people's on that one, even as consumers.

Research that benefits more than corporate profits is one of the things the GOP is going at as though it were the 'big waste' in the government, ...including things like pure science that cost the taxpayers less than they lose in pocket change every year and are more likely to improve their quality of life.