Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
Banned

Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church is Sick

Kansas-based Westboro Baptist Church will be dispatching members of its congregation to protest the funeral of Elizabeth Edwards this Saturday, CNN reports.

The church has generated controversy with its confrontational and offensive demonstrations. "God Hates Fags" has become an unofficial calling card of the group, a phrase they say the world "needs to hear more than it needs oxygen, water and bread." Another Westboro sign, "Thank God For Dead Soldiers," is frequently displayed at military funerals and has created its own share of outrage.

In a promotional flier for the upcoming protest, the church references John and Elizabeth Edwards's son Wade, who died in a car crash in 1996:

"When they were visited from the Most High God with the death of their 16-year-old son, they did not humble themselves before His mighty hand. They reared up in rage, decided they would show God who is boss, and meddled in matters of the womb, resulting in 2 more children -- now motherless."

The church goes on to claim that she is now a "resident of hell, where her rebellion and rage will take full flower."

Elizabeth Edwards, the estranged wife of former Democratic vice presidential candidate John Edwards, died earlier this week at the age of 61 after a long battle with cancer. She is succeeded by her husband and three children.

Here's the Westboro Baptist Church's memo on their protest:

Elizabeth Edwards Funeral To Be Picketed By Westboro Baptist Church

12-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The WBC and those types should get up every morning and thank the Goddess it's not *my* religion they're befouling so.

This is where that hate leads: they've made their Hell and in it they do lie.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-09-2010 at 03:02 PM.
12-09-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

And we complain about Muslim extremists. One wonders when these Christian morons will start fire bombing funerals.
12-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder where the minds are of all the members of this church. Any lights on upstairs?
Very strange reaction.

12-09-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can anyone imagine if Jesus were out there with a sign what it would say? I think it is a safe bet it would not be anything about God hating anyone.
12-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Religion is not rational, but these people are tards.
12-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Religion is not rational, but these people are tards.
You can bet though their 'religion' is a lot of extra non-biblical stuff they choose to uphold.

12-09-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If there's one thing I've found intriguing with religion, its been the phenomenon of those(groups) who govern themselves under the label of religion and the bible, while doing things their own way. And I don't mean this to criticize religions, though I think it's quite interesting to say that the more specific groups seem to deviate from biblical principals, the more conflicting and dysfunctional they prove to be.

Which I find to be highly interesting if for example, the bible was merely a book of ancient poetic stories devised to appease the fears of the unknown. Which raises the question. If it were just that, then why the consequential behavior?

Anyways, whenever you get people claiming to speak on God's behalf on matters that are clearly out of their jurisdiction. You end-up with a freak show.
12-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There's a lot of money involved in stirring up the right-wing fringe and destroying public discourse and civility, for one. The WBC are insane fanatics, but they do have a political agenda and seem to have plenty of *funding.* (Look past what they *say* or what various others say Christianity's 'supposed' to be, (They, after all, do the same and claim to be 'Biblical,' too) and look at what they *do* and the effects it has.)

Even if they make quieter bigotry seem reasonable by comparison to some, they seem to feel they get plenty out of it. Of course, by generally raising all that nast, they're consumed by it. They just get sick pleasure out of it and feel it gives them power in a world they hate and want to end, preferably in the pain of others, expecting 'salvation' for themselves when that happens. Of course they become more insane and self-destructive. That's what happens.

But don't think they aren't mostly lawyers, trying to push supremacist issues and abridge the rights of others.
12-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Which I find to be highly interesting if for example, the bible was merely a book of ancient poetic stories devised to appease the fears of the unknown. Which raises the question. If it were just that, then why the consequential behavior?
This is because the Bible is not just about the transcendent beauty of God/Being... it's also got in it the germs of tribal hatred, cruelty and violence, absolutism and totalitarianism, enslavement and oppression, and so on, all in the history and stories it tells. We humans tend to be the blindfolded men who 'see' only the parts they feel - the elephant is all trunk, say, all tusk - rather than seeing -and more importantly feeling - the entire elephant.
12-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Just because someone, or some organization calls themselves "Christian" obviously doesn't mean they truly are. None of the Christians I know hold their viewpoint.
12-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
Just because someone, or some organization calls themselves "Christian" obviously doesn't mean they truly are. None of the Christians I know hold their viewpoint.
Insane ones do. *I* can tell the difference, and *you* can tell the difference, the question is, why can't *they* tell the difference?

(I mean, there's actually plenty of Christians who'd never behave that way or draw the same conclusions, (like who constitutes 'The Real Christians,') or admit it was that ugly, even said mildly, but who really do operate from the same premises. ....or at least vote and act as if they do. In this, the Phelpses could be doing the world a service, by showing the ugly. )

You can actually learn a lot about a dominant culture/religion/ideology etc by its cracked crockery, not just *that* or *how many* people 'go crazy,' but *how* they do, as well.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-10-2010 at 11:11 AM.
12-10-2010, 11:15 AM   #13

Whether you love or hate Michael Moore, you gotta admit this is pretty funny:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra_fAYl4Th4[/YT]
12-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And we complain about Muslim extremists. One wonders when these Christian morons will start fire bombing funerals.
They won't, they are lawsuit trolls. They want you to do something they can sue YOU over. You being anyone worth suing. It isn't a religion, it's a business.
12-10-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well Raleigh NC where he funeral will be held tommorrow is actually pretty close to 3 major millitary bases. Generally speaking millitary and ex millitary are not big fans of the Phelpses. Hmm ?
What bothers me most about these walking talking feces with ears is that they drag their kids into the filth with them.
Closed Thread