Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 07:45 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Not that it comes as a surprise but this thread got totally derailed on the second reply. (BTW thanks RML for staying with it)
What does any of this have to do with Harry (the lesser of 2 evils maybe) Reid and a few Dem fundraising lobbyist whoe dogs hooking up a Chinese corperation with free American money to build and opperate a generating facillity in Texas?
With regard to Afgahnistan & Iraq my thoughts are simple , either fight to win or bring our troops home.

12-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
Banned

QuoteQuote:
With regard to Afgahnistan & Iraq my thoughts are simple , either fight to win or bring our troops home.
Win what ? In a 13 month period from May 2003 to June 2004, the Federal Reserve sent nearly $12 billion in cash, mainly in $100 bills from the United States to Iraq and to do that, the Federal Reserve Bank in New York had to pack 281 million individual bills onto wooden pallets to be shipped to Iraq. The cash weighed more than 363 tons and was loaded onto C-130 cargo planes to be flown into Baghdad.

Could this possibly be an example of why America is going broke?
12-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnInIndy Quote
But RML, Obama said all throughout his campaign Afghanistan is where we needed to be not Iraq. You mean He was wrong?
He wasn't wrong for the circumstances he inherited, which doesn't make it cheap.

What really should have been the focus while Bush was avoiding American casualties to keep people fired up for his Iraq thing, and shifting resources to the invasion he wanted, was getting in, stomping the crap out of Al Qaeda, etc, and in the process, well, the Taliban came down in Kabul and any other mission was doable before it became an extended occupation. Then we *would* have been in and out instead of having messed around being targets while it became about America, not the terrorists or the Taliban.

Iraq's been the lion's share of expenses, and Afghanistan became a still-expensive near-morass in the process. If *that* had been done right in the first place, it wouldn't be taking so much doing all along.

My assessments of what is actually accomplishable there, particularly if it's not being funded so the big corporations can take more of their defense budget profits away... Have been declining somewhat, admittedly.

It *is* where the focus should be, and should have been, ...whether or not that focus says 'Stay' anymore is a different matter.
12-13-2010, 02:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Realistically, keeping Pakistan more than 50% on our side, and having at least some months to go by before the Afgani government falls once we leave, are two realistic stretch goals for us, and I believe that's what we're essentially trying to accomplish.

12-16-2010, 04:09 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Probably the terminology about sending a huge military force to illegally invade a country being a war.
For the record, I neither support the "wars" in Iraq and Afghanistan or whichever you want to call it to make yourself seem happy or correct about the terminology.

Back on point, the facts are sad and quite expensive. When the right blames the left and the left blames the right about higher taxes, an enormous deficit and why the country is "going down the tubes" it isn't easy to see why when the war tab needs to be paid.

Jason
12-16-2010, 07:03 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Realistically, keeping Pakistan more than 50% on our side, and having at least some months to go by before the Afgani government falls once we leave, are two realistic stretch goals for us, and I believe that's what we're essentially trying to accomplish.
I can't speak about keeping Pakistan on anyone's side, but in the long run, does it make much difference if the Afghan government falls in a week, a month or 6 months after we all bring our troops home?
I suppose the longer it takes to happen the more people will separate our leaving from the Taliban reasserting themselves as the governing body, which is better for the politicians who are comfortable in the fact that the average voter has a memory of about a month, but to the average Afghan, it's not going to matter much at all.
If we are interested in them being "free", then we need to be committed to their freedom over the long haul. This means keeping military on the ground for the foreseeable future and beyond.
12-16-2010, 07:39 AM   #22
Banned

Afgahnistan & Iraq is Vietnam 2.0 and the US Military Machine only knows one thing...WAR so get ready for our tax money being dumped down the WAR money pit for a very long time.