Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Credit card hacked

Somehow my credit card got hacked again, the second time in a little over three years.
My bank notified me yesterday of some suspicious activity and I canceled the account immediately.
They assured me that I will not be charged for any unauthorized transactions.

I have been on the do not call list for years, but after work this morning
I have been agitated fielding phone calls from merchants concerned that
charges for the products and services I never ordered won't go through.
Ironically one call was from a credit score report company...

Chris

12-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If they tried to pull your credit score they might have gotten ahold of a lot more than your one credit card number, they might have your SSN and be trying to open new loans and cards in your name. If I were you I would call experian, transunion, and equifax and put ask for a credit freeze (I believe that is the right term) which means that no one can pull your credit reports without your authorization.
12-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Same happened here. Of the folks I know that have Capital One cards, all had Bogus charges in Novenber. Makes you wonder how secure the Credit Card companies are......
12-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #4
Inactive Account

My experience with two card companies has recently been good. I have rec'd calls from them validating some unusual purchases on my part. I believe the triggers have been unusual places and amounts. The charges were all legit and at first I was P'ed about the calls but I am glad they are watching things. I think the problems lie where and how you use them.

I have one odd card with a low credit amount I use in what I determine high risk transactions. That would be internet, restaurants and gas stations.

They picked up one fraudulant use of it in a wierd location and shut it down instantly. The crooks have cards swipers that can grab your card data in 1 second and have it on the other side of the world in a few more seconds. The banks are liable for the fraud on a CC. The one to watch is the debit card. They can empty your account very quickly and you own the empty bag too. I would not have one.

Cash still works fine too.

12-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
My experience last time with them was good as well. They caught the unauthorized charges immediately and I paid nothing.
They even sent the replacement card with my new account number to the place I was staying when traveling.

I looked into the credit freeze, but unfreezing for future credit information needs would require further action by me plus fees.
The card issuer (my bank) assures me they will contact the credit bureaus as necessary pending their investigation.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-16-2010 at 07:38 PM.