Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congress work the week AFTER x-mas

boo... freaking hooooo.........
Reid Responds To Kyl: 'I Don't Need To Hear Sanctimonious Lectures' About Meaning Of X-Mas (VIDEO) | TPMDC
QuoteQuote:
After Sen. Jon Kyl (R-AZ) accused Majority Leader Harry Reid of grinchery for suggesting that the Senate work the week after Christmas, Reid blamed Kyl's party for the delay that may push votes past the holiday.

"As a Christian, no one has to remind me of the importance of Christmas for all of the Christian faith, for all their families, all across America," he said. "I don't need to hear the sanctimonious lectures of Sen. Kyl and [Sen. Jim] DeMint to remind me of what Christmas means."

"Where were their concerns about Christmas [when they were posing] filibuster after filibuster of every piece of legislation during this entire Congress?" Reid asked on the Senate floor this afternoon.

Yesterday, Reid threatened to call the Senate back after Christmas to finish up the busy lame duck agenda before the Congress ends Jan. 4. Republicans -- who, it seems, would prefer Congress leave without passing the START treaty, Don't Ask Don't Tell repeal, spending bills and other legislation -- balked, with Kyl saying Reid was "disrespecting one of the two holiest of holidays for Christians."

DeMint (R-SC), on the other hand, said today that it would be "sacrilegious" for the Senate to hold a vote on the START treaty in the days just before Christmas.
What was that you said????????????
Reid Responds To Kyl: 'I Don't Need To Hear Sanctimonious Lectures' About Meaning Of X-Mas (VIDEO) | TPMDC
Two-fer today...........
http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/12/boehner-cantor-join-frc-to-oppose...group-list.php
QuoteQuote:
Ironically, the ad argues that "our debates can and must remain civil - but they must never be suppressed through personal assaults that aim only to malign an opponent's character," right after it refers to the SPLC as "the radical Left" that's "spreading hateful rhetoric."

The ad is undersigned by a number of leading Republican politicians, social conservative and mainstream alike: House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH), House Minority Whip Eric Cantor (R-VA), Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), Sen, Jim DeMint (R-SC), Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA), Rep. Steve King (R-IA), and even Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli.

See the full ad here.

In response today, the SPLC put out a statement calling the ad "a remarkable performance, given that it was precisely the maligning of entire groups of people -- gays, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people -- that caused the SPLC to list groups like the FRC."

"At the end of the day, it's hard to know if the politicians and other leaders who signed today's anti-SPLC statement really know some of things the groups they are throwing in with support. What's a fact is that, despite their claims, the groups have so far, without exception, failed to confront the facts of SPLC's report," the statement said.

12-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since Christmas is on a Saturday this year, all the rest of the Christians in this country don't get a single day off at all. I wonder what this dirtbag's response would be if all the truck drivers in the country decided to take the last 2 weeks of December off. Mr. "Religious" would be demanding their imprisionment.
12-16-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Since Christmas is on a Saturday this year, all the rest of the Christians in this country don't get a single day off at all. I wonder what this dirtbag's response would be if all the truck drivers in the country decided to take the last 2 weeks of December off. Mr. "Religious" would be demanding their imprisonment.
Well... they are mostly teamsters.. what would you expect........
12-16-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The 'War on Christmas' nonsense starts getting crazy about *real* things in actual government.

12-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

See why is it that no one finds it ridiculous that washington basically stopped working back in September so that they could all see what the results of the election in november would be. Then when the election results are in the democrats decide that they have to ram all the crap they should have been doing all along through before they loss the majority? OH wait thats right everything in washington is the Republibcans fault anyway so nevermind.
12-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
See why is it that no one finds it ridiculous that washington basically stopped working back in September so that they could all see what the results of the election in november would be. Then when the election results are in the democrats decide that they have to ram all the crap they should have been doing all along through before they loss the majority? OH wait thats right everything in washington is the Republibcans fault anyway so nevermind.
Actually, the election changed nothing about what needed to be passed, since the GOP was filibustering *everything* all along, no matter how important or popular. And would still be doing it whoever won the elections, make no mistake.

The fact that they'll make it even worse afterwards doesn't mean it still doesn't need doing. Things like blocking justice on DADT ....which were pure delay and stonewalling and nonsense for the GOP base to get all phobic about despite all the facts and broad majority support for repeal *everywhere* (even in just Republican constituencies,) ...were pushed here because of the GOP and no one else.

The GOP position doesn't represent *any* majority on that and never did, and they want to start governing before they've even been sworn in.

Playing the 'war on christmas' card about wanting to block *arms control* just shows how ridiculous it is.
12-16-2010, 04:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
OH wait thats right everything in washington is the Republibcans fault anyway so nevermind.
I agree with you 100% on this point.

12-16-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
I agree with you 100% on this point.
Plus my 100%
12-17-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Re. pre-election do-nothingness: I do think the Dems need a better political calculator, as the one they were using was clearly defective.
12-17-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Re. pre-election do-nothingness: I do think the Dems need a better political calculator, as the one they were using was clearly defective.
I mostly fault them for not realizing within a month that the GOP had no interest in playing ball, and that waiting two years wasn't going to help one whit with the media, and doing the necessary.