Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
9/11 responders, x-mas, John Stewart

WHAT can I say.....................
QuoteQuote:
Stewart then noted another GOP excuse for this tragic miscarriage of responsibility — “hey man, it’s Christmas” — and asked for their take on Sen. Jon Kyl’s (R-AZ) complaint that working after Christmas was somehow “disrespectful” to the Senate:

STEWART: Basically what he’s saying is that I can’t stay here and work between Christmas and New Years, that would be disrespecting Christians and his family. Do you have any thoughts on that?

SPECK: It just goes to show the disconnect between those we elect to represent us, and those who get out there and do the work. Because I’m here to say that you won’t find a single New York City firefighter who considers it a sign of disrespect to work in a New York City firehouse on Christmas Eve or Christmas day.[...]

DEVLIN: It was an honor to work through Christmas on that 9/11.
Repubs.... hollow excuses......... hollow hearts.

QuoteQuote:
Why is The Daily Show still the only program covering the 9/11 first responders bill?

December 17, 2010 12:33 pm ET by Eric Boehlert

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201012170017

Last edited by jeffkrol; 12-17-2010 at 03:42 PM.
12-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #2

The repugs are filibustering the bill so that they can vote on it while in majority and present it as their achievement. Yes, both parties suck, but the Republicans really decided to explore the limits of what it means to be abhorrent. I can only shrug in horror thinking what 2012 could bring. Run for the cover!
12-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
"US" Chamber of Commerce involved

QuoteOriginally posted by skyredoubt Quote
The repugs are filibustering the bill so that they can vote on it while in majority and present it as their achievement. Yes, both parties suck, but the Republicans really decided to explore the limits of what it means to be abhorrent. I can only shrug in horror thinking what 2012 could bring. Run for the cover!
QuoteQuote:
While Republicans quietly snuffed out efforts to compensate 9/11 heroes, they were aided by a quiet lobbying campaign by the powerful lobbying front — the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.............. The Chamber fought to help kill the 9/11 compensation bill because it was funded by ending a special tax loophole exploited by foreign corporations doing business in the United States.

The “U.S.” part of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is a misnomer. As ThinkProgress reported, the Chamber represents dozens of foreign businesses in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Russia, Bahrain, India, Brazil, and other countries. An investigation of the Chamber turned up recent fundraising documents from the Chamber soliciting foreign contributions to the Chamber’s 501(c)(6), the tax entity the Chamber used to run nasty campaign ads against Democrats earlier this year.

In September, the Chamber sent a letter officially opposing the 9/11 first responders bill, called the “James Zadroga 9/11 Health and Compensation Act of 2010.” The Chamber warned that ending the tax loophole would “damage U.S. relationships with major trading partners” and “aggravate already unsettled financial markets.” A lobbying disclosure filed with the Senate confirms the Chamber contacted lawmakers to help kill the bill.

In typical fashion, the Chamber has not revealed which of its foreign members had asked them to kill the 9/11 bill. As the Chamber CEO explained to the Washington Monthly’s James Verini, the entire purpose of the Chamber is to provide “deniability” to corporations that want to affect the outcomes of elections or of public policy. In 2009, the Chamber secretly used a $86 million donation from the health insurance industry to fight health reform. At the time, the Chamber lied and claimed to the public that they were simply acting on behalf of the entire “business community.”
ThinkProgress ‘U.S.’ Chamber Of Commerce Lobbied To Help GOP Kill Bill To Provide Health Care To 9/11 First Responders
12-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although I would consider myself somewhat conservative, I have come to despise the Republican party in recent years. The antics of this past week are the worse I have seen yet. Here in NY State, the first responders issue has received a lot of press for obvious reasons. The most shameful part of all this is that when the 9/11 attacks happened, it was under Republican watch including the Governor and Mayor in NY. They milked it for all it was worth with flowery speeches and photo ops with the police and firemen of NYC while sharpening their knives so they could stab them in the back.