Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2011, 02:56 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Torakira Quote
I'm not sure if this is really bluesy or jazzy, but what Bobby Mcferrin can do with his vochal chords is just amazing. This is my favourite version of the song, although its quite blurry.
All I can say is thank you so much for inspiring me to take a fresh look at Bobby, wow has he been busy since I last checked out his music. I was supposed to be working on something an hour ago, but I've been listening to his music nonstop instead.

I started following the YouTube related links to other works of his and found some incredible collaborations he's done with other artists, from jazz and classical pieces to a beatbox duet with his son Taylor Mcferrin. Bobby is clearly in joy when he performs, and I smiled with him through every piece. I hope you don't mind if I post a few more examples of his recent concert work. A sampling of five:

Bobby McFerrin & Anita Vitale:

Bobby McFerrin and Voicestra:

Bobby McFerrin and Taylor McFerrin (partial):

Bobby McFerrin & Judi Donaghy - I Can See Clearly Now:

Finally, this amazing collaboration with singer/cellist Jorane (Bobby doesn't come in for about 2.5 min.):

03-12-2011, 05:15 PM   #122
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tommy Emmanuel

Great Aussie guitarist Tommy Emmanuel, one of the most joyful musicians around:

His famous version of "Guitar Boogie":

03-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Bobby mcferrin sure is impressive..my mother used to hear it while driving.The contrast between Bogota's hellish traffic and Boby's vocals was something i will never forget.
Liked Tommy Emmanuel's guitar but i could not get into his voice.

Here Bebo and El cigala :

03-15-2011, 05:09 AM   #124
Veteran Member

And now something completely different...and much more jolly:
Les blairots de ravel, their lyrics are hilarious and they usually do Cabaret acts with fusion music from dixie and other oldstile jazz and eastern music (klezmer, gypsy,...):

03-15-2011, 08:24 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
Here Bebo and El cigala
The links you provided were blocked from viewing here in the US, so I tried to find the songs you posted as they are allowed here (though it seems to me that this type of music is more ballad than jazz or blues, not that there's anything wrong with that ):

03-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by les3547 Quote
s more ballad than jazz or blues
You are right...got carried away by enthousiasm.
Bebo does play latin jazz sometimes and i was listening to cachaito when i came across of Bebo and El cigala and had to post it...i've been listening to Lagrimas negras album for years without getting tired of it.

The thing is that the jazzy songs had no vocalist
So permit me to make two slight offtopics today:
There's a moment in latin jazz..that it stops having the same sound...it's like with free jazz, sound very different and the thing that turns it into jazz is the improvisation over some patterns or common grounds (and with free jazz even that stops being true at some point...).
Incredible mix of jazz improv style Afrocuban and cuban folk sounds.

(Well just before there was a vocalist but not really jazz or bluesy...now it's latin-jazz but no vocalist...)
03-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #127
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Coeurdechene Quote
There's a moment in latin jazz..that it stops having the same sound...it's like with free jazz, sound very different and the thing that turns it into jazz is the improvisation over some patterns or common grounds (and with free jazz even that stops being true at some point...). Incredible mix of jazz improv style Afrocuban and cuban folk sounds.
Very nice. Bebo Valdes very enjoyable; and I think of that Cuban style, salsa, etc. as a sort of "swing" jazz. I love all of it.

03-22-2011, 07:45 AM   #128
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Joe Bonamassa featuring Eric Clapton

Straight-up blues:

06-17-2011, 05:49 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cassandra Wilson

I think I love her.