Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We may be talking about many "homeless by choice" with the comfort of knowing that if push comes to shove there is always a home to go to and money to be had from, quite often, very rich parents. I knew a few of those, pretending to be downtrodden and bad done by, in my youth.

01-07-2011, 06:45 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Gods, Sparkle, what, was it fun to 'pretend?'

I don't get it.

I certainly know that some people in the 'straight world' like to pretend 'most everyone homeless is there by 'choice,'' but they pretend a lot of things.
01-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I spent a little while homeless by choice (though I most certainly did not have a rich family to go home to; rather the next phase was a low-wage factory job and cheap apartment while I saved some money). Never did I see any indication that I was in any way among the majority of the homeless. Heck, I was one of the only homeless in the rural small-town area I stayed in most of the time, but the folks I ran into when I got into the city from time to time were a different story. They weren't sleeping in the doorways of abandoned storefronts in the cold because they just didn't feel like going back to their wealthy family's warm home.
01-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #49

This is a common sight among shopping areas in the Phoenix area. It can be very frustrating, especially when the kids who approach you for money (sometimes even IN stores) can seem as young as 14 or 15. I noticed that these teens are usually well dressed and enjoying their time on the street, unlike the truly homeless as those mentioned in San Francisco.

I read this article not too long ago though, and it put into perspective some of the options (or lack thereof) these young adults have.

Young Adults Are New Face of Homelessness

01-09-2011, 03:31 AM   #50
Inactive Account

I was not referring to the truly homeless, the abandoned, alcoholics and mentally ill for example. A good many were "Gutter Punks" by choice. To rebel; to pretend they were something they were not, for all kinds of reasons, attention, etc. They were infidels. Later they simply went back to their privileged lifestyles. Furthermore, as some doubted and misunderstood my earlier comment: it is well known in Canada that many hard to do, commit, on purpose, with the intention of getting caught, petty crimes subject to 3-6 months in jail where they spend the winter to get three square meals, a warm bed etc. The jailers treat them well. It fact they, the prosecutors and judges know who to expect as the cold weather approaches. They are non violent, do no harm and usually caught in the act as planned.
01-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
They were infidels. Later they simply went back to their privileged lifestyles
Some are not "pretending" nothing Sparkle..we just don't see life in the same way our parents do..and lots of people don't "return" to any "privilegied lifestyle" they evolve, and chose different lifestyles..i got some friends living with their children in the countryside, they were gutterpunks..got tired of the city and now live in a house, a squatted house, up in the mountains in the basque country..

And here no one wants to go to jail...no one commits petty crimes to go to jail..some get caught while in an infraction but no one wants to be jailed on purpose..
(at least here the police stations jails reek, they treat you badly and you don't get well fed...you can only spend like 3 days there..then they decide wether to let you go or send you to prison..where no warm bed will be tempting...)
01-13-2011, 03:26 PM   #52
Inactive Account

You can talk of your impressions. I express the situation here in Canada.

01-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sparkle Quote
You can talk of your impressions. I express the situation here in Canada.
The entirety of Canada. Naturally.
01-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Sparkle I doubt Canada's gutterpunks or homeless are sooo different than european ones (or israel, usa, japan, eastern europe one's i've known and sheltered in my house...).
01-13-2011, 11:17 PM   #55
Inactive Account

Get it through your thick skull, I know of which I write!

I don't question your experience!