Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2007, 02:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What's your backup cam??

I am here looking to take jobs at weddings and such, and I here talk about a backup cam. a great idea of course, but the wallet is strapped.

I see second hand bodies going cheap here (*ist DS/DL etc) that seem interesting, but I don't want to buy a body off someone on here who has very few post and is an unknown, so I pass those by. The next issue is that buying a used K100D creates another issue as they had initially a front focus\back focus problem. So it is possible the used ones may have this problem even though they are in excellent condition.

I cant afford a new one.... so this leaves a digicam. any body use one of these as a backup? Something like the Fuj1 S6000D for instance? Is it feasable to have this as a backup cam (The other big guns ( S9100, FZ50, G9 etc))?. Or do you recommend scrounging for a second body ( if used,pray its fine)?

D

10-02-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I first had the *ist DL, and then picked up a K10D. I ended having to shoot a wedding for a friend, and the differences in the layout of the 2 bodies killed me. Hitting the wrong knob or looking for how to setup for the next shot made me miss a couple of shots.

So with that in mind, I strongly suggest getting an equivalent body (I now have 2 K10s) Things will come more easily when you do have to switch to a backup body (and all your cool lens and flashes etc will work too)
10-02-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
Forum Member

Canon Powershots are very good camers that process the image very nicely. I own a cheapo A460 also Panasonic makes some nice cameras at good prices that have SRL properties some with RAW and nice zooms 12x and higher!! the Lumix line.

Last edited by Jimsi777; 10-02-2007 at 09:35 AM.
10-02-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would add to gdoan: a bank or credit union savings account is a wonderful thing if deposits are frequent and regular. My (film) Pz1P is backed by a second Pz1P; my K10d by a second K10d. In the digital case I purchased the second and third (numerically) bodies to come to my area--my daughter got the first. The same philosoph follows with external flash--get two if you do work for hire!

QuoteOriginally posted by dudlew Quote
I am here looking to take jobs at weddings and such, and I here talk about a backup cam. a great idea of course, but the wallet is strapped.

I see second hand bodies going cheap here (*ist DS/DL etc) that seem interesting, but I don't want to buy a body off someone on here who has very few post and is an unknown, so I pass those by. The next issue is that buying a used K100D creates another issue as they had initially a front focus\back focus problem. So it is possible the used ones may have this problem even though they are in excellent condition.

I cant afford a new one.... so this leaves a digicam. any body use one of these as a backup? Something like the Fuj1 S6000D for instance? Is it feasable to have this as a backup cam (The other big guns ( S9100, FZ50, G9 etc))?. Or do you recommend scrounging for a second body ( if used,pray its fine)?

D

10-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses all. I agree with a second body but the price is the killer.

Consider this:
1) I have a $600 budget.
2) I would like to get a second flash and the Sigma 17 - 70 lens.

My budget is dead right there. If I get a second body, thats $530 with the kit lens from B&H. This leaves me with two Kit lenses which i don't want and no flash or Sigma lens,

I don't know if you would recommend me buying used? Any suggestions? anybody here with a K100D to sell that is in good shape and no BF/FF problems?

D
10-02-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

You could buy used and probably be okay....

...why not sell the kit lenses you don't want on ebay? You'd get at least $55 a piece I bet that's another $110.00 back after buying a body. But that towards to Sigma or flash.

I am waiting to buy a second body myself. Hoping Pentax will announce the successor to the K10D soon.