Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2007, 05:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
3. Some of your poses look a little stiff. Try to get the subjects into the mood of things a little more. This is not always easy to do. Also be careful how you pose heavy people. Don't want to accent negative features.
Words that we can all benefit from

QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
I appreciate all the feedback.

JCSullivan, I was speaking generally. A lot of those who give feedback on the forum I frequent are professionals.
If you've sold 1 photo or done some paid work you fit in this category.
I've sold some work, and do freelance work for the local paper, making me a pro, however it doesn't make me any better than the next person here
The day I stop learning in this field is the day I die. There is always something.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisA Quote
It's always nice to be praised rather than criticised.
This is why I try looking for the good points, and try working around the problems or let them know how to

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr Hyde Quote
remove the right click function from your web site so it displays a message discouraging illegal copying.
I wish that I knew how to do this trick with my software
However it's sometimes nice for people to be able to work on your pic's and let you see what can be done with them.

10-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #17
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike had a very good point. There is a dedicated section on Photo.net you might want to check out. The link is here:

Wedding and social event photography Forum - photo.net
10-02-2007, 06:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=strictlypentax; I truly enjoy photography.

[B]And that (the above portion of your quote) should be the determining factor leading to where your direction takes you. I didn't have the time by which to browse through all of your photos, but the ones that I saw weren't bad at all. Any criticism that I would have given has already been voiced, so there would be no need for me to echo same.

This whole photography issue is a learning process, and (as already mentioned) you aren't going to please everyone with your work. Some will like, some won't. Just keep plugging away at what you "love" to do, and maturation will eventually come to you. There are so many, on this forum, who are posting shots which far exceeds mine, but I don't let that hamper - or stop me. From what I saw, at your site, you have a lot going for yourself. Don't give up. Keep plugging away at it.[/I][/COLOR][/B]
10-02-2007, 06:35 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by strictlypentax Quote
I truly enjoy photography, but I just don't know if I'm cut out for it.
And that (the above portion of your quote) should be the determining factor leading to where your direction takes you. I didn't have the time by which to browse through all of your photos, but the ones that I saw weren't bad at all. Any criticism that I would have given has already been voiced, so there would be no need for me to echo same.

This whole photography issue is a learning process, and (as already mentioned) you aren't going to please everyone with your work. Some will like, some won't. Just keep plugging away at what you "love" to do, and maturation will eventually come to you. There are so many, on this forum, who are posting shots which far exceeds mine, but I don't let that hamper - or stop me. From what I saw, at your site, you have a lot going for yourself. Don't give up. Keep plugging away at it.

10-03-2007, 07:10 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the comments, critiques, and the time you invested in looking through my site and typing responses. It is much appreciated. The posts overwhelmed me, so I am going to respond to the comments that stood out to me the most, and to those whose comments I don't specifically acknowledge, please know that I still heard it, and greatly appreciate it.

I will be revamping my website to reload the pictures at a higher resolution, but this will take a while. I remember how long it took before. I've already split up the galleries, changed the font on the front page, and removed the disclaimer.

I do make my images rather soft. I like the soft look personally, though I know it is not always appropriate and I'm not exactly sure how to make them not so soft other than less pp. I pretty much always add a gaussian blur to my images to help pop the color, unfortunately it also adds a bit of softness.

I have a hard time with wrinkles in backdrops. I guess I don't think people will want to sit while I steam them, so I have never tried to do that, just tried (unsuccessfully) to work around the wrinkles. Yes, I do think it would be better to spend a few minutes steaming rather than discarding otherwise perfectly good photos.

I didn't notice the stiffness spoke of, so I will flip through my galleries again as I am reloading the images and see which ones should be discarded for that, and pay closer attention when posing in the future (yes I said the future, i'm not ready to quit yet!).

I do ask comments from others in the field, that's where that other forum comes in, and thank you for allowing me this on this forum. I realize not everyone in either forum is a professional, but even the non pro's can point out things I've missed. And please don't misunderstand, these ppl aren't trying to be mean or hateful, or snobish, they are trying to help me. I've just reached the point where every time I post an image for critique, there aren't any positive responses to it-that's what got me questioning my abilities.
10-03-2007, 07:21 AM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
This was the most recent image I posted there that got many comments as to why it was wrong. Composition was the most common denominator-he shouldn't be looking out of the frame, needs a more shallow DOF was the second.

I shot this trying to grasp the concept of the rule of thirds. (Hope this uploads)

It didn't upload, not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'll try again.
10-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
okay, now I got it. I didn't realize you couldn't keep your past stuff posted.
Attached Images

10-03-2007, 07:38 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
After listening to suggestions, this is what I came up with. The disappointing part for me is that someone had to tell me these things, I didn't just know it before hand. This second one got much more positive feedback, but still got a lot of negative. (still not a shallow enough DOF)

Attached Images

10-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Remember that photography opinion is limited to the eye of the beholder. There doesn't 'have' to be shallow dof in every portrait. I does draw attention to the subject though when it is. Just because someone has to tell you doesn't mean you are a failure. How long have you been seriously taking photographs? I'm guessing not long by your posts. There are a lot of things that you may not know about photography. Doesn't mean you have a lack of ability. It means you don't know it yet.
10-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #25
Forum Member

To most, this is a hobby and thats it!... I play music and some like it yet others dont, I dont like all professional pictures, some suck imho...just have fun and learn...My pictures suck, yet Im having fun!
10-03-2007, 09:32 AM   #26
Veteran Member

My only criticism/suggestion of the photo you just posted would be that you could easily crop off the right 1/3. Don't forget that you are not constrained by "normal" form factors. Things don't have to be in 8x10 format.

One suggestion... Is the young man a song writer? If so, you could add the text of one of his songs down the right side. If he doesnt write, he obviously plays (unless the guitar is simply a prop (which I doubt)) and in that case you could put in the text of his favorite song.

Negative space is not always the enemy... With a little thought you can turn it into an asset.
10-03-2007, 12:13 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
My only criticism/suggestion of the photo you just posted would be that you could easily crop off the right 1/3. Don't forget that you are not constrained by "normal" form factors. Things don't have to be in 8x10 format.

One suggestion... Is the young man a song writer? If so, you could add the text of one of his songs down the right side. If he doesnt write, he obviously plays (unless the guitar is simply a prop (which I doubt)) and in that case you could put in the text of his favorite song.

Negative space is not always the enemy... With a little thought you can turn it into an asset.
I like these suggestions, but I was actually trying for negative space in this one. No he doesn't write, but he does play, still in the learning process of playing.

If you browsed my website, I'm sure you saw his face more than once. That one and the little blonde headed girl that pops up all the time are my two. They tire of modeling, but they do try.

Thanks ALL for everything!!!
10-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #28
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I think the critiques you just got on this latest photo are very good and will help you in future shooting. I can't add much more to those suggestions.

I'm rarely so blunt and hope you take this as a helpful constructive suggestion. I'd like to address how you feel about this whole process. You have a good rapport with the subject in most shots and a good eye for the shot and it is excellent that you are trying new things and trying to learn from others. Personally I like sharper portraits and less PP if possible. But I do it too and that doesn't mean your method is wrong. If your clients see your gallery and hire you based on that then you are doing it right for them. That's all that really matters.

But continue to develop your own style. Be confident in how you shoot. What I think or anyone else other than your clients really doesn't matter. There's no reason to apologize for your shooting style and a "rule" (and some of the best photographs break all the rules) you may not know. I'm referring to your comment regarding the 'rule of thirds' ; "The disappointing part for me is that someone had to tell me these things, I didn't just know it before hand."

I'm sure the kid in the shot above doesn't know all the words to all the songs ever written. Why should you or anyone else know or remember all the "rules" in photography. I can't tell you how many times I've set up the tripod, lined up the perfect, sharply focused shot and pressed the shutter button then looked at the shot on the LCD and realized that I left the SR on! This is a learning/practicing process that will take a lifetime.

Keep shooting keep getting better each time, Don't be too hard on yourself. Continue to read and learn from the good shots as well as the poor ones (especially the poor ones). Have confidence in your skills and it will show.

The day you stop learning (getting better), you're dead.
10-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Actually like the second improved shot. Don't have any problem with the background. He looks at ease and comfortable. Good job.
You mentioned that there was always seemed to be something in your photo that lessened the quality. There is a lot to remember to make a good image. The more you shoot the easier it will become. Think back to when you took the driving test. Seemed impossible. Now, bet you sometimes drive home and arrive before you know it. Barely remembering the drive. All those things have become automatic. Photography will work the same way. Saw an interview with a pro once. He said his pro teacher made them shoot 100 rolls of film a week for 12 weeks, and develop them. Wow. He learned. Keep practicing and shooting. Quiting means not getting to do what you love, for money. Everyone has to start somewhere.
thanks
barondla