Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Like your unlimited High-speed DSL?

So, a few days ago, I got this email from Primus, my local DSL provider (note: I removed my name from the e-mail):

Dear VF-19,
As you may have heard, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has recently approved Bell Canada’s request to introduce Usage Based Billing on wholesale Internet services.
The CRTC’s decision directly affects the High-Speed Internet service provided to you by Primus Canada and, unfortunately, the newly associated costs to Primus make the unlimited Internet service you are now enjoying no longer financially viable. This serves as 30 days notice that beginning February 1, 2011 there will be changes to your Internet service provided by Primus.
As a result, the following changes will apply commencing your February invoice:
Your existing High Speed Internet plan will now have 25GB of monthly usage included
For the minority of customers who exceed this amount, additional usage up to 300GB will be charged at $2.00/GB to a maximum of $60.00/month. Usage in excess of 300GB per month will be charged an additional $1.10/GB
Additional Usage Plans can be purchased starting at $5/month for an additional 40GB

Your Primus High Speed Internet service usage during the month of November 2010 was:

96.05 GB

You can check your monthly Internet usage and buy additional usage, by visiting:
https://ecare.primustel.ca/

For more information, please visit High Speed Internet - British Columbia - Primus Canada or call 1 888-280-5001.
Thank you for your understanding and for choosing Primus.
Sincerely,
Primus Canada

I really like the opening paragraph, as I did not hear anything about this until a few days ago...

Now, originally, I purchased primus because they offered, for $35 a month, unlimited usage (I was with bell for a while before that, and they offered $50 a month for the same package). As you can see, thanks to various factors, I used almost 100 GB during November (and I asume higher in December). This means, that my $35 bill will now be more like $95ish.

Now, the high usage mostly comes from Steam, which requires me to download multi-gigabyte files, in order to play the games. However, what if I used the net to conduct buisness from my home? I can easily see myself hitting that 25 limit very quickly. What if I used Netflix or Youtube, on a regular basis? Or, how about this: Suppose, sometime in March, my computer's main boot drive goes belly up, and I have to replace it. Re-installing Windows, downloading the many, many patches (which I can't store on my PC), will eat into the 25 GB a month very quickly (and this is not including the various patches for my other programs).

To my fellow Canadians: Call your MP and complain! Take back your unlimited internet!

Mods: I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I don't think this is a political discussion, but if you feel that this is political, go ahead and move it to the appropriate forum.

01-03-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Only 1/5 of Americans think that "Net Neutrality" should be maintained, rather they think that free enterprise should set Ad Hoc internet policy! Oh me, Oh my!

Only 21 Percent Of U.S. Voters Support Net Neutrality

Your tale should be a caution to them!
01-03-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bell already throttles torrents from 5pm to 2am (mercifully, Steam is not affected by this), and does this with the third party providers too...

Personally I think Bell got this ruling from the CRTC so that it can beat out the competition. If you use DSL, you're using Bell's lines, and thus, you need to play by their rules. Stinks of a monopoly.
01-03-2011, 01:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What else is there?

QuoteOriginally posted by VF-19 Quote
Personally I think Bell got this ruling from the CRTC so that it can beat out the competition. If you use DSL, you're using Bell's lines, and thus, you need to play by their rules. Stinks of a monopoly.
Of course it sounds like a monopoly, because it is. Of course, there's also the cable internet monopolistic choice... with bandwidth limits, throttling, and limited availability - aw dang!

Bell only had to support "deregulated competition" until they paid off the right lawmakers to either reverse the requirement or profit from it (bingo!). Furthermore, Primus and other resellers no doubt see this as a chance to make far more money (charging for bandwidth) than it costs them ($1.10/GB!?) and blame Bell. Go figure.

01-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, looks like that's fallout from the whole 'Net Neutrality wasn't stood for here, let's bone the Canadian subsidiaries' deal.

'No longer financially-viable?'

To whom, compared to what.

Frankly, if they're gonna charge by the gig, then maybe we ought to start taking unsolicited phone call legislation, anywhere, kind of like you can only be telemarketed over a landline. (My dear one got us a house phone last year so I wouldn't be alone when our one cell was out of the house. Of course, my holiday prezzie was a single-use cell. But what we got for our troubles was ...Telemarketing. Click.)

Gigawhatzits of adware that my computer can barely fend off with more processing power than the Shuttle fleet is one thing, but *paying for it by the unit?* Even conservatives ought to be in a tizzy. "I demand the right to need a Phalanx defense system *all the time* in the name of gun rights!" It's 'free enterprise!'

Net Neutrality. Not just a good idea. It's the Law... Of thermodynamics. Start charging people by the electron for all the noise you gotta put up with to read the same darn text you could have read in 1992, well...

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 01-03-2011 at 02:28 PM.
01-04-2011, 04:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
Only 1/5 of Americans think that "Net Neutrality" should be maintained, rather they think that free enterprise should set Ad Hoc internet policy! Oh me, Oh my!
Lucky OP's in Canada, then, although I do believe it'll be about five seconds before this thread gets overrun by Americans bitching about the gub'mint and moved.
01-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Of course it sounds like a monopoly, because it is. Of course, there's also the cable internet monopolistic choice... with bandwidth limits, throttling, and limited availability - aw dang!

Bell only had to support "deregulated competition" until they paid off the right lawmakers to either reverse the requirement or profit from it (bingo!). Furthermore, Primus and other resellers no doubt see this as a chance to make far more money (charging for bandwidth) than it costs them ($1.10/GB!?) and blame Bell. Go figure.
Actually it's $2 a Gig until you hit 300 Gigs (to a $60 limit, mercifully), and then after 300 Gigs, it's 1.10 a Gig (but no limit).

I'm just getting the word out because one of two things:

1) It was snuck into my in-box with little fanfare, and thus easy to miss
2) It represents ANOTHER increase that was totaly avoidable.
01-04-2011, 05:00 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Yeah, standard telco practices. I particularly like how their explanation is "because we now can."

The Aussie government is building its own fibre network precisely because of bullshit like this. The private sector's having a stroke over it, of course, but they had fifteen years to get their act together and didn't.

01-04-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

BBC News - BT Content Connect service faces 'two-tier net' claims

It seems as though every major supplier, those with the monopoly, are on the bandwagon.

"BT supports the concept of net neutrality, but believes that service providers should also be free to strike commercial deals, should content owners want a higher quality or assured service delivery."

In simple terms, f*** the consumer !
01-04-2011, 05:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

As a result, the following changes will apply commencing your February invoice:
Your existing High Speed Internet plan will now have 25GB of monthly usage included
For the minority of customers who exceed this amount, additional usage up to 300GB will be charged at $2.00/GB to a maximum of $60.00/month. Usage in excess of 300GB per month will be charged an additional $1.10/GB
Additional Usage Plans can be purchased starting at $5/month for an additional 40GB
Sheesh! Lucky shit. I'd crawl over broken glass to to get data allowances and prices like that where I live.

IIRC it isn't the first time this has been introduced by providers in Canada either, several yrs ago Rogers et al. put curbs on the bandwidth-hogging <5% minority.

Your Primus High Speed Internet service usage during the month of November 2010 was:

96.05 GB
Hehe, perhaps you should consider yourself fortunate that you aren't required by law to justify your legal rights on most of that 96 Gigs content.

.R. <-- a long-serving born leech who isn't naïve to what makes up the numbers.